Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 09:47 PM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
You also left out the Missouri river valley...another big valley in the Midwest. And the Midwest also does have mountainous areas...the Porcupine Mountains in Michigan, the unglaciated areas in Wisconsin, the Northwoods, and the Ozarks.

Yes that is a big omission on my part, the Missouri valley is a cool place to visit. Lewis an Clark thought alot of it as a means to the west, so just its historical significance makes it important. The Porcupine mountains and the Ozarks are beautiful. I do kinda think of the Ozarks as more southern though, not so midwestern. One thing is for sure Missouri and Arkansas are two of the most beautiful but underated states in the nation. If anyone knew how pretty they were theyd get alot more attention. In the end they will stay nice BECAUSE they dont get too much attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 10:51 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,861,227 times
My top states in the Midwest would be:

1) Missouri
2) Minnesota
3) Wisconsin
4) Michigan
5) Ohio

The rest are just kind of 'blah' to me (Chicago is Illinois' main saving grace)

Old 12-17-2012, 12:19 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,182,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Clevelanders arent known to understand Hoosiers anyway.
I am from Minneapolis.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:40 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Southern Ohio:

Not your stereotypical vision of Ohio, but more Appalachian with forest, hollows, small towns, family farms carved out of the woods, a big city (Cincinnati) and a major river. The confluence of American Midwest, Northeast, and the South.

Minnesota:

A great American city (Minneapolis), the North Woods, Duluth, Boundary Waters Canoe area, and Lake Superior, Pike and Walleye, Summer and Winter.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:20 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,048,277 times
I don't understand two things.

First, why all the Michigan lovers? It's the one state in the entire Midwest that is losing people, meaning even the residents don't seem to like it that much, yet people are picking it. Is this another disconnect on C-D where people just seem to pick what in reality is not all that popular?

Second, the Illinois and Minnesota picks seem to be about Chicago and Minneapolis. Fine cities and all, but isn't this a judgement of an overall state? Outside of Chicago, Illinois is almost entirely rural and doesn't have much going on. Same, really, for Minnesota, which at least has some natural beauty.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:31 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,773,757 times
Out of the ones I've visited, definitely Iowa. Beautiful state there!

Old 12-17-2012, 10:43 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
As we all know, there are 12 states in the Midwest. North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, and Ohio. Take your pick on which states would get your top votes and explain why.

I have to ranked them based off urban areas and outstate areas. They are two very different meanings to me.

States ranked by urban areas:

Illinois - um yea, Chicago
Ohio - lots of large metros that interest me
Minnesota – Twin Cities
Missouri - KC and StL of course
Wisconsin –Milwaukee is underrated
Indiana – Indy and Gary. Okay, just Indy.
Michigan – Detroit still interest me
Nebraska – Omaha also underrated
Iowa – Des Moines is always a pleasant surprise
Kansas – Wichita is worth a visit
South Dakota North Dakota and the Sioux Cities stuff…

Ranked by outstate areas:
Missouri – surprisingly beautiful state with a lot to do outside the cities
Ohio – do diverse, the lake etc
Wisconsin – I Just like it and another big lake
South Dakota - love the badlands, rapid city etc
Michigan – big state, neat areas with the lakes.
Kansas – has some very beautiful parts, flint hills etc
Minnesota – million lakes?
Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, N Dakota – mostly un appealing to me.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:44 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,967,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post

First, why all the Michigan lovers? It's the one state in the entire Midwest that is losing people, meaning even the residents don't seem to like it that much, yet people are picking it. Is this another disconnect on C-D where people just seem to pick what in reality is not all that popular?

Second, the Illinois and Minnesota picks seem to be about Chicago and Minneapolis. Fine cities and all, but isn't this a judgement of an overall state? Outside of Chicago, Illinois is almost entirely rural and doesn't have much going on. Same, really, for Minnesota, which at least has some natural beauty.
The same can be said for almost all the mid-western states. Illinois has Chicago, Minnesota has the twin cities, Indiana has Indianapolis, Wisconsin has Milwaukee and Madison....not much outside of those major cities.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:48 AM

302 posts, read 768,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post

First, why all the Michigan lovers? It's the one state in the entire Midwest that is losing people, meaning even the residents don't seem to like it that much, yet people are picking it.
Staying in or leaving an area isn't based completely on whether people like the area or not. Economics play an important role, unless you happen to be independently wealthy, are retired or have a job you can do anywhere. In case you don't pay attention to things like the news or what people have to say about places other then where you live or places you are personally interested in, Michigan has been doing badly economically for the past ten years or so. It was in a one State recession for years before everybody else got hit in 07 and 08. Not everybody who has been left Michigan for elsewhere has been happy about it; most left to find work and escape the double digit unemployment we had here a few years ago. If you frequented the Michigan board, you'd see that a lot of people have chosen to move back, despite the fact that things here still aren't the best economically.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:57 AM

934 posts, read 1,440,115 times
1. Kansas.

With the new Wizard of Oz and Superman movie, we're unstoppable.

Last edited by thefallensrvnge; 12-18-2012 at 01:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.