U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 06:37 AM

2,096 posts, read 3,849,494 times

Advertisements

If someone was born in California and moved to Oregon when they were 3 for example and couldn't even remember living in California, and never went back there again, would they be considered a Californian or an Oregonian?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 07:14 AM

654 posts, read 1,294,245 times
Yes. b/c that is your native home. That is where life began for you.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:15 AM

654 posts, read 1,294,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
If someone was born in California and moved to Oregon when they were 3 for example and couldn't even remember living in California, and never went back there again, would they be considered a Californian or an Oregonian?
He's from California, not Oregon. He is a native Californian.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:30 AM

8,901 posts, read 13,655,028 times
No, I don't think one has to be born in a state to be "from" there. I think where one spent the most time growing up or wherever one identifies with the most growing up is where they are "from". Or even wherever is more convenient! I am originally from State College, PA and moved to the Philly suburbs when I was 13. Since most people don't know where State College is and because my family still live in the Philly suburbs, that is where I usually say I am "from" when people ask, not State College. I don't think there are really any "rules" here.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:33 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,241,442 times
If I was born in Boston, and grew up in Detroit, and my wife and I had been living in Atlanta for years, and I meet a guy in a bar in Chicago who says he's from Boston, I can say Hey, I'm from Boston too. The next night in another bar, I tell a guy Hey, I'm from Detroit, too. The next night in another bar, Hey, I'm from Atlanta too. I could swear to all three statements on bibles, and in each case pass lie detector tests.

If a person born on a ship at sea, which landed at New York, and he spent his entire childhiood growing up in New York City, where is that person from? If a foundling six months old turns up on the steps of a convent in Indiana just after the circus leaves town, and is transferred to an orphanage in Pennsylvania, and is adopted at age 2 by a family in Virginia and raised there, where is that person from?

Last edited by jtur88; 12-12-2012 at 07:42 AM..

Old 12-12-2012, 07:59 AM

12,333 posts, read 10,303,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canefandynasty View Post
He's from California, not Oregon. He is a native Californian.

Your post almost sounds like you give weight or meaning to the word "native". So, what makes a 3 yo born in CA yet raised in Oregon a "native" of CA? What attributes does that kid have that any other kid raised in Oregon does not have? I find your post silly in this day and age when America is very homogenized. My cousins were raised in the suburbs of Miami, and other than sports affilitation were no diff than other members of my family.

Where were you born?

Old 12-12-2012, 10:14 AM

7,131 posts, read 9,903,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
Using when someone says they are a native, they mean where they were orginially from. Having said that, time living somewhere does matter. In the case you mention I would probably say I am a native son of California but I am now a Oregonian and am now from Oregon.

Real life example: Abraham Lincoln.

Everyone today knows Lincoln is from Illinois, the Land of Lincoln, where is spent much of his adult life. But Lincoln was born and also lived as a very young child in Kentucky and spent much of his boyhood in Indiana.

Note how there are historical memorials in all 3 states.

Abraham Lincoln Birthplace National Historical Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Kentucky)
Lincoln Boyhood National Memorial - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Indiana)
Lincoln's New Salem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Illinois)
Lincoln Home National Historic Site - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Illinois)

Old 12-12-2012, 10:46 AM

21,318 posts, read 21,881,811 times
you're from wherever you just were before you got to where you went next, it's that simple and I don't want any back talk from anyone neither.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:11 AM

15,504 posts, read 17,728,729 times
I am going to say that people will have differing opinions on this, but in my experience, many people who were born in one place, but came to an understanding of life through experiences in another place will claim their home as the second.

For example, I have a friend who was born in the desert Southwest state of Arizona, but he moved to rural upstate New York at the age of 5 where he lived until the age of 18 before moving back to Arizona for his university education. Although his earliest memories are of Arizona, his formative experience in New York leads him to describe himself as 'from' New York, even though he uses the description to describe himself to people in the very state in which he was born.

And in terms of his frames of cultural reference and behaviors, his description rings true.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:31 PM

1,446 posts, read 2,288,632 times
I think of people as being "from" whatever place they lived when they "grew up" from a child to a teenager (so basically years 4-12). That is the place that I think people internalize as their "norm". Before roughly age 4 people don't really remember much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.