U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 06:57 PM

3,178 posts, read 1,694,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Williston, North Dakota. Seriously.

Check out these rental prices on Craigslist:

north dakota apts/housing for rent classifieds "williston" - craigslist=
They were even worse a bit back. A modern day oil boom. At one point people were living in tents because there was a housing shortage. However, I wouldn't consider Williston a "city." Anchorage fits the bill better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 08:08 PM

11,177 posts, read 22,384,826 times
I wouldn't really call it bad weather. I love snow and cold weather, and from April through November it's not even cold out anyway.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:18 PM

3,723 posts, read 3,882,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie555 View Post
I challenge anyone to name a city with a worse combination of high cost of living, and miserable weather.

I guess you could argue New York, since the weather is almost as bad, and the cost of living is higher. Chicago's weather could be slightly worse, but the cost of living is better, and it's more of a world class city as well (i'm not saying it's on par with new york and san francisco, but it is closer to that tier than Boston is)

Nothing else comes to mind though.

Lets go over some of the basics for Boston:

2nd most expensive city in the Northeast (certainly more expensive than Philly, DC, Baltimore, Providence, etc.) Possibly the 2nd most expensive in the whole Eastern US, but I don't have facts to support this.

Horrible weather. can't go outdoors 5-6 months per year comfortably. You need to run an air conditioner for the other months.

I challenge you clever people to find a "better" city for fitting my criteria!
What do you consider to be comfortable? That's a very subjective claim about 5-6 months being uncomfortable to be outside. Contrary to popular belief, a lot of people like being outside during the winter.

You could also look at say Texas, and say their oppressive heat in the summer makes it uncomfortable to go outside.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:24 PM

1,762 posts, read 3,053,151 times
Seattle? I'm not sure how expensive it is to live there, but I couldn't stand the rain all the time. If we are counting Canada, then Vancouver is definitely number one. I'm pretty sure it's more expensive than Boston and it's weather is also hell. I'd take snow over constant rain any day.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:30 PM

628 posts, read 759,331 times
Quote:
I challenge anyone to name a city with a worse combination of high cost of living, and miserable weather.

I guess you could argue New York, since the weather is almost as bad, and the cost of living is higher. Chicago's weather could be slightly worse, but the cost of living is better, and it's more of a world class city as well (i'm not saying it's on par with new york and san francisco, but it is closer to that tier than Boston is)

2nd most expensive city in the Northeast (certainly more expensive than Philly, DC, Baltimore, Providence, etc.) Possibly the 2nd most expensive in the whole Eastern US, but I don't have facts to support this.

Horrible weather. can't go outdoors 5-6 months per year comfortably. You need to run an air conditioner for the other months.

If anyone takes this post seriously... just don't.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:25 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,907,785 times
I think Boston's climate is just fine...almost ideal for someone like me who really likes having all 4 seasons. And especially because winter there is actually relatively sunny as opposed to very grey around the great lakes and PNW

Very subjective topic really.

My choice would be any major city in California. Boring weather (to me) with no seasons and insanely expensive.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:32 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,576,706 times
Probably yes... If you don't like cold weather than it does have the worst combination of cold and high cost of living. Outside the U.S. Moscow beats it though. Cost of living and weather aren't really correlated though.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:12 AM

21,198 posts, read 30,396,116 times
Quote:

Your argument has some gaping holes. For instance you state the cost of living in Boston is high, but with the 5th highest income per capita of all US Metro areas the correlation doesn't work...people largely can afford to live there comfortably or else it wouldn't be thriving. In keeping with that argument the cost of living also ranks 5th among major US Metro areas. Also, not to mention it has the second lowest unemployment rate of all major US cities (around 5%). In terms of "world class cities", Boston despite having a population of just over 600,000 to Chicago's 2.7 million is an "Alpha city" like Chicago and in such much more impressive given the size difference. Lastly concerning weather you state one can't go out comfortably 5-6 months per year. November isn't cold so guessing you mean starting in December which means you don't feel comfortable outside until May??? That's a bit extreme.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:16 AM

3,234 posts, read 7,632,792 times
I wouldn't call an area with 4 season bad weather. An area with 1-2 seasons is bad weather to me. I need to ski, and snow is needed for that.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:00 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,582,463 times
I've lived in South Texas all of my life and am really starting to get sick of the heat. It is almost Christmas and the high's are supposed to reach 80 this weekend. It's ridiculous. Do you know how much harder it is getting into the Christmas spirit when you are still wearing a t-shirt and shorts out at night?

From mid April until late October it's too hot and humid to enjoy anything outside, unless you like the beach. I HATE beaches. On a side note, I do like the lake. But lakes are all across the country, nothing specific to here. Now, the last two years we have only been getting ten inches of rain a year. It's almost like a desert, yet we still get the high humidity due to our proximity of the ocean! You step outside and you almost immediately begin sweating.

Sure the COL is low, but talk about terrible weather. The only thing that keeps me here is my dream career and family. Or else, I'd be somewhere where you actually see four seasons. With mountains and pine trees.... I love mountains. It is a lot nicer than the boring, flat, arid terrain of south Texas, with cactus, ugly mesquite trees, and palms, (which attract cockroaches). At least the city itself, although pretty small, is somewhat alright.

Once I retire, hopefully in 19 years, I am leaving here to never return.

Last edited by gabetx; 12-13-2012 at 04:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or