U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 01:14 PM

654 posts, read 1,296,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFisher View Post
Key West, Florida is definitely one.
Tropical resorts are usually more expensive because of the weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 07:28 PM

606 posts, read 954,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie555 View Post
you can't do recreational outdoor activities for all 9 of the unmentioned months.

do you go sailing in November? do you go to the beach in March? no. it's 5 months. i exhadgerated by saying 6.
Okay, yes, most people don't sail in the middle of winter but many, especially retired people who do sail, spend a lot of time actively sailing, so they'll likely have plenty of places to sail for that part of the year and be able to return to Boston in the summertime.

And yes, people usually don't go swimming at the beach in January (some do ) but it's actually fun to just go to the beach in the colder months. And anyway, these are just two extreme examples. People have already talked about sports we do to supplant the inability to engage in others. For instance skiing and snowboarding and most of all, I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet, hockey and ice skating. I know hockey is considered a sport of "wealth" in some places like LA but up here it is the complete opposite. Anyone can play on any frozen surface with a hockey stick and anything that can serve as a puck. We also have ice fishing and people still run outdoors and play football in the wintertime.

As far as rent goes YES Boston rents are hell. I was even reading about new developments in West Roxbury, Westie!, and they were going for like $2500 for a single or something. But take into consideration Boston's geography. It's 48 sq. mi. That means what IS physically in Boston is going to be pretty high in demand because it is ALL close to the heart, whereas a place like Houston you can be 150 miles from the center and of course rents will likely be lower. You can find lower rents outside of Boston if you look. And in general, Massachusetts has a higher cost of living, but so overall places will be ore costly, but you can find something your price I'm sure, even if it means venturing a little farther out.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:53 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,522,928 times
Quote:
your point is somewhat ironic, considering how poorly your post was typed.
Quote:
i exhadgerated by saying 6.
Yes, quite ironic.

Anyway, my experience with Boston is 3 crappy months (end of January, Feb, March, Beginning of April)...but you're crazy if you don't think some people don't enjoy months like October, November, or December. Outdoor activity is still available for Oct and Nov for the most part...even in December if you dress properly.

In my opinion, the beginning of winter was always fine for me. Just throw on the right type of clothing and there's no problem...in fact the cold weather and snow improve many things (unless you're looking for water-related activity) for me in the first couple of months. It's when you hit late Jan, early Feb where it started to take its toll on me...that's when it got to be too much. March is just a miserable month because it's still cold and nothing has bloomed yet. However it picks up towards late April.

Regardless, basically everything you mentioned in terms of weather is subjective.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:25 PM

17,447 posts, read 21,283,365 times
The high costs of housing can be directly traced to the anti-development, anti-density historical preservationists and Nimby's whom scare off would-be developers, like they do in San Francisco, keeping housing costs so sky-high!

Only the most masochistic housing developer would want to jump through all those endless hoops to even get their project approved, let alone built!

I'm sure most of those endless rows of brownstones are under historical designation, and it would take an act of Congress to knock a few of them down and put up a high rise!

Old 12-21-2012, 06:27 AM

20 posts, read 30,835 times
I personally love weather in Boston. So it is very subjective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or