Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 04:18 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times

Advertisements

Well you know it's really all in the eye of the beholder. I don't know about Boston's COL, but to me and I don't mean to offend Miamians, but that would be the worst weather because I can't stand the heat. Boston's weather would be just fine for my taste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 04:22 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,601,251 times
Washington DC is the worst. We all know it's expensive as hell to try and have a family there, but the thing about the weather is, they get it bad both ways: muggy and hazy in the summer time, and enough snow in the winters to occasionally be a big nuisance.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:32 PM

344 posts, read 1,052,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndieIndy View Post
If anyone takes this post seriously... just don't.
your point is somewhat ironic, considering how poorly your post was typed.

plenty of people have taken my point seriously; this thread is 3 pages now

Old 12-13-2012, 06:48 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
Washington DC is the worst. We all know it's expensive as hell to try and have a family there, but the thing about the weather is, they get it bad both ways: muggy and hazy in the summer time, and enough snow in the winters to occasionally be a big nuisance.
I was ready to say the same thing until I saw your post. Washington DC has as high (if not higher by now) cost of living than Boston, and the weather is worse. The summers are hot and steamy, and the winters are just a few degrees warmer than Boston, but with much less snow (so no reward for the cold). I grew up in Virginia and remember winters being cold and gray with rain and rarely any snow. No skiing nearby, no ice skating, no hockey. Depressing.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:13 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,850,375 times
Boston is a great city for the great indoors--museums, music, bars, even some decent restaurants. There's an extensive subway system to get you to them, minimizing your time outdoors. Stop kvetching!

Old 12-14-2012, 01:27 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShastatoBaker View Post
Bad weather? Boston's weather is beautiful... and you get all kinds. Snow, wind, rain, sun. And the best part about it is that it changes so often. I'd take Boston's weather any day over some place like L.A. or Phoenix or something. Change is wonderful. It's the spice of life.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I love the weather in Boston too, well it is a little too muggy in summer but never for too long. I love the fact that there are very distinct seasons and that there is no uniformity. I would loathe to live in a place like LA or Arizona where it can feel a little like groundhog day climate wise.

Rain, Fog, Snow, Sunshine, Cloudy days, Crisp Autumn Days, it all helps to make it more interesting IMO.

And I love Boston as a city anyway, great architecture, Museums, sense of History and place, cultural scene and of course easy access to the wonders of New England and NYC too. Not too shabby. One of the few cities I would consider living in the US.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:43 AM

6,573 posts, read 6,740,252 times
It's going to be 50 degrees tomorrow in Boston. Most every November the daytime temps run in the 40s & 50s. September & October are beautiful. Aside from several big & small storms mostly starting in mid-December until mid-March the weather in the winter runs about 30 degrees give or take a few degrees. Zero cold spells are not long or common. I'm still in shorts BTW & will be tomorrow

Old 12-15-2012, 08:50 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
It's going to be 50 degrees tomorrow in Boston. Most every November the daytime temps run in the 40s & 50s. September & October are beautiful. Aside from several big & small storms mostly starting in mid-December until mid-March the weather in the winter runs about 30 degrees give or take a few degrees. Zero cold spells are not long or common. I'm still in shorts BTW & will be tomorrow
This is a record book year for longest time in history between snow though, as well as record high temperatures in December, at least in Chicago it was, so I'm assuming Boston got some too, certainly not typical.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:55 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShastatoBaker View Post
Bad weather? Boston's weather is beautiful... and you get all kinds. Snow, wind, rain, sun. And the best part about it is that it changes so often. I'd take Boston's weather any day over some place like L.A. or Phoenix or something. Change is wonderful. It's the spice of life.
Well said, I'm with you. While I don't necessarily love cold weather, I love snow and the change in seasons. Spring, after a long winter, is a beautiful thing. I love all seasons though, and would only live in a place with a monotone climate if I actually lived within walking distance to the beach.

And at least the sun still shines in the winter on the East Coast. I would hate to live in a place where the sun is non-existent for months at a time.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 12-15-2012 at 01:07 PM..

Old 12-15-2012, 12:59 PM

861 posts, read 1,455,913 times
Key West, Florida is definitely one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.