U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 04:34 PM

344 posts, read 867,782 times

Advertisements

I challenge anyone to name a city with a worse combination of high cost of living, and miserable weather.

I guess you could argue New York, since the weather is almost as bad, and the cost of living is higher. Chicago's weather could be slightly worse, but the cost of living is better, and it's more of a world class city as well (i'm not saying it's on par with new york and san francisco, but it is closer to that tier than Boston is)

Nothing else comes to mind though.

Lets go over some of the basics for Boston:

2nd most expensive city in the Northeast (certainly more expensive than Philly, DC, Baltimore, Providence, etc.) Possibly the 2nd most expensive in the whole Eastern US, but I don't have facts to support this.

Horrible weather. can't go outdoors 5-6 months per year comfortably. You need to run an air conditioner for the other months.

I challenge you clever people to find a "better" city for fitting my criteria!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 04:39 PM

639 posts, read 939,603 times
Bad weather is completely subjective. One can say the same thing about Miami in that you can't go outside 5-6 comfortably because it's too humid and muggy.

I don't like cold weather in the NE at all, but I know some people that actually like it and can't stand heat and humidity. People can beat the cold weather in the NE by participating in winter activities (skiing, snowboarding) just like people in the south can beat the heat by participating in water activities and the beach.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingElsewhere View Post
Bad weather is completely subjective. One can say the same thing about Miami in that you can't go outside 5-6 comfortably because it's too humid and muggy.

I don't like cold weather in the NE at all, but I know some people that actually like it and can't stand heat and humidity. People can beat the cold weather in the NE by participating in winter activities (skiing, snowboarding) just like people in the south can beat the heat by participating in water activities and the beach.
yes, i understand that different people have different weather preferences. But it's obvious what I meant. The majority considers "bad" weather to be a certain thing. And that is what I'm referring to.

I'm not saying you can't find someone who doesn't love blizzards and hate sun shine.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie555 View Post
yes, i understand that different people have different weather preferences. But it's obvious what I meant. The majority considers "bad" weather to be a certain thing. And that is what I'm referring to.

I'm not saying you can't find someone who doesn't love blizzards and hate sun shine.
I'm cool with that! Interesting topic.

If I had to choose a city with the worst weather it'd be Buffalo. Not bashing the city, just don't like the weather. Winters are as gray as anything and completely cloudy. Take Seattle winters, add freezing temperatures and snow and you get Buffalo winters. I can't take the combination of gray skies and very cold temperatures for a long period of time. It doesn't meet your criteria on high COL but the taxes are high there so I guess it can somewhat count.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:45 PM

9,382 posts, read 9,539,690 times
Dec. jan. And Feb., 3 months not 6, all you need is a sweatshirt and your fine, and even during the winter all you need is some gloves, coat and hat if your actually being active you will be fine.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:13 PM

85 posts, read 153,256 times
Bad weather? Boston's weather is beautiful... and you get all kinds. Snow, wind, rain, sun. And the best part about it is that it changes so often. I'd take Boston's weather any day over some place like L.A. or Phoenix or something. Change is wonderful. It's the spice of life.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Dec. jan. And Feb., 3 months not 6, all you need is a sweatshirt and your fine, and even during the winter all you need is some gloves, coat and hat if your actually being active you will be fine.
you can't do recreational outdoor activities for all 9 of the unmentioned months.

do you go sailing in November? do you go to the beach in March? no. it's 5 months. i exhadgerated by saying 6.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
you can't do recreational outdoor activities for all 9 of the unmentioned months.

do you go sailing in November? do you go to the beach in March? no. it's 5 months. i exhadgerated by saying 6.
If there is a sufficient amount of snow you can go skiing or snowboarding during the colder months.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:18 PM

85 posts, read 153,256 times
Quote:

I know people who do both. I'm in Maine right now and was just down at the beach -- 5-6 people were in the water surfing.

The problem with the southern half of this country is that they have this absurd idea that the northern half just shuts down come October. Honestly, I pity the people who live in places that experience a single, year-long season. Cold weather makes you feel alive, and it certainly makes you treasure the warmer months all the more.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:20 PM

9,033 posts, read 8,747,295 times
Williston, North Dakota. Seriously.

Check out these rental prices on Craigslist:

north dakota apts/housing for rent classifieds "williston" - craigslist=
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or