U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 01:21 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,535,617 times

Advertisements

North Central University-- very conservative bible college in the heart of a very, very liberal city (Minneapolis).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 03:05 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,057,185 times
I also agree that UNC/Chapel Hill is the most liberal university in the South. Gay culture is huge there.

Pretty much any secular university is going to be very liberal. Conservative universities are going to be your Bible colleges. An anomaly used to be University of Southern California, but in the past decade even that has moved to the left.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:21 PM

1,955 posts, read 2,734,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I also agree that UNC/Chapel Hill is the most liberal university in the South. Gay culture is huge there.

Pretty much any secular university is going to be very liberal. Conservative universities are going to be your Bible colleges. An anomaly used to be University of Southern California, but in the past decade even that has moved to the left.
What about A&M? I think its the most conservative of public universities.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:10 AM

567 posts, read 912,267 times
There are a large number of conservative/fundamentalist bible colleges in Los Angeles County (which contains the city of Los Angeles, of course). More than y'all would think. The most conservative of the bunch, as far as I know, is Master's College.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:35 PM

606 posts, read 954,037 times
University of Southern California is not a conservative university but in comparison to many universities (especially the one's I'm familiar with being from the Northeast, like Brown, Umass, Brandeis, Harvard, MIT, Emmanuel, etc.) it is pretty conservative, and in the middle of Los Angeles, which is a pretty liberal city, though it doesn't hold a candle to the liberal cities farther north (Bay Area, Seattle.)

Old 12-20-2012, 10:29 PM

1,704 posts, read 2,767,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
North Central University-- very conservative bible college in the heart of a very, very liberal city (Minneapolis).
A friend of mine from high school went to North Central. Sort of a creepy place...

Old 12-21-2012, 10:41 AM

5,707 posts, read 8,775,783 times
Here's my pet peeve- Austinites thinking that theirs is the only UT:

Quote:
UT is most likely one of the most (if not the most) liberal university in the southern US. Austin may have something to do with it, given that UT gets most of its students from within Texas
I'll admit this poster gave enough context that you'd know which UT.

But occasionally on other boards I'll mention UT or UT students and Austinites automatically assume I'm their neighbor.

UTK doesn't really belong in this discussion because both it and Knoxville tend to the moderate. But I have noticed in the last decade or so that UTK is trending more conservative and Knoxville a little more liberal.

I think this is because the student body at UTK is more and more coming from upper income homes. Could this be happening at UNC?

Old 12-21-2012, 03:52 PM

1,955 posts, read 2,734,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Here's my pet peeve- Austinites thinking that theirs is the only UT:

I'll admit this poster gave enough context that you'd know which UT.

But occasionally on other boards I'll mention UT or UT students and Austinites automatically assume I'm their neighbor.

UTK doesn't really belong in this discussion because both it and Knoxville tend to the moderate. But I have noticed in the last decade or so that UTK is trending more conservative and Knoxville a little more liberal.

I think this is because the student body at UTK is more and more coming from upper income homes. Could this be happening at UNC?
What do you mean I "gave enough context"? I explicitly said UT-Austin on the first page of the thread.

And most Austinites do know their are other 'UT's. But because UT-Austin has the most prominence nationally of any of the other UTs, people tend to assume you mean UT-Austin. It's the same way with the use of the term New York. When people say I'm from New York, many people assume NYC, when in actuality, the person is referring to the state of New York.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:50 PM

5,707 posts, read 8,775,783 times
Please don't get so upset - I even included your reference to Austin in your quote.

Like I said - this is something I've encountered with other posters and on other forums:

Quote:
But occasionally on other boards I'll mention UT or UT students and Austinites automatically assume I'm their neighbor

So I guess I'm guilty of the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or