Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you ever been a victim of police brutality?
No, thank God, the police are always polite to me. 20 95.24%
Yes, but there was nothing I could do. 1 4.76%
Yes, and I filed a complaint concerning it. 0 0%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 05:03 PM

4 posts, read 18,790 times

Advertisements

There is an awful lot of police brutality against young Afro-American men and women in Rockford, IL
and we are thinking it is safer to move to an area of the country where police don't hit people and then cahrge the person with resisting arrest. Does anyone have an opinion which state or cities have more or less police brutality? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 05:16 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
I haven't met every single officer of the Saint Paul police department but the ones i have seen are mostly pretty good. i have heard of a few bad cops though, theres a youtube video of a cop kicking a guy for no reason.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:16 PM

932 posts, read 1,943,666 times
Cities with the most publicized police brutality are the largest cities in the country. Namely, New York, Chicago, Los Angeles and Philadelphia.

Miami seems to make the news for police brutality more often than a city its size should, and on the state level, I think New Jersey probably has the worst police reputation.

Old 12-14-2012, 09:33 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
Dealt with cops or talked to them maybe 5-8 times in Chicago the past 10 years and they've always been extremely nice and helpful. I have a great deal of respect for them.

Old 12-15-2012, 07:37 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
Which states have least & most police brutality

Where is the poll?

Old 12-17-2012, 05:45 AM

567 posts, read 1,119,483 times
I've always heard bad things about Texas cops, Houston in particular. With Austin being the exception.

Old 12-29-2012, 06:32 AM

4 posts, read 18,790 times
I have been thinking about alleged police brutality and misconduct and where in the city of Rockford, IL it seems to occur most (possibly on an everyday basis or occur so often that brutality and misconduct or lack of interest in doing the job of police officers is the norm...is the conduct expected and accepted as normal from police). I would have to say that from what I have seen and experienced it occurs in Rockford, IL in low-income areas and at the main police station and at the State's Attorney's office. The State's Attorney's Office has threatened to take criminal cases to trial and ask for the most prison time available if an accused person does not withdraw a complaint alledging police brutality against an officer who made the arrest that the defendant is charged with. In this incident the woman Assistant State's Attorney proudly and aggressively gave us her record in getting juries to convict like she viewed herself as a gunslinger or prize fighter.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:50 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
How could anybody possibly ever know? Even if there is a highly publicized incident in some city, it is usually one or two bad cops. But in another city, the police could be corrupt and on the take all the way through, and there would be no way for the general public to even suspect it, since it would never affect regular law-abiding citizens.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:28 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,047,843 times
I think this thread title is misleading there are police brutality and police over use of force two different things.

The US police force is trained to use is much force to get the subject to comply , in Canada and more so the UK they are trained to use the least about of force to get the subject to comply.

Here is news reporter arrested for parking on road taking pictures !! never mind if there is law saying you can do it or not the cop give order to move and he did not so he got arrested .

police arrest camera man - YouTube

Other reporter arrested for getting in way of the call

Camera man arrested for asking badge number - YouTube

Here is other person who will not comply

Cameraman Arrested by Suffolk County Police - YouTube

Here is video of guy yelling at the police over this and he gets arrested

Woman molested by cop Cameraman arrested for calling cops Nazis p 1 - YouTube

NJ Cop puts CBS news cameraman in vicious chokehold

Police Brutality - Dirty NJ Cop puts CBS news cameraman in vicious chokehold - YouTube

Here other one gets arrested for not showing ID and putting the camera down

OFF-DUTY POLICE OFFICER CAUGHT ON CAMERA THREATENING TEENS - YouTube

Here is other suspect does not comply

Police brutality- SF Cops Smash Mother's Head On Street for Resisting Arrest - YouTube

Police Brutality in Saint Paul

Police Brutality in Saint Paul Caught On Tape - YouTube

None of this would happen in Canada or the UK it would spark media outrage.

The police force in the the US are trained to use has much force to get him or her to comply , so if the suspect does not comply he going down to the ground. I'm surprised most of these people above did not get teased. There not going tell you two or three times or have discussion with you that not how it works in the US.

The police force in the UK and Canada are trained to use the least about force not how it works in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.