U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 12-14-2012, 11:00 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
656 posts, read 1,791,700 times
Reputation: 795

Advertisements

I currently live in the Las Vegas area and the conversations are always looming about what will happen when the H2o supply gets low. I've moved plenty of times in my life so I have no problem moving to another city if something like H2o supply threatens the area. My GF and I aren't fans of cold weather. I don't really want to move back east, I could if I had to but I prefer living in the western United States. By western United States I mean everything west of Interstate 35. What cities with warmer sunshine oriented climates west of I 35 have the most stable water supply? I have thought about San Antonio but I'm not educated on its water supply. Does San Antonio get a lot of its water from any certain aquifers? I'm not looking for a debate about where the western US begins etc.... I'm looking for information on a large city (500,000 +) with a warm climate west of I 35 in the United States that has a stable water supply and lots of sunshine year round.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-15-2012, 04:55 AM
 
21,186 posts, read 30,343,833 times
Reputation: 19609
I'd recommend Albuquerque which hasn't had the population explosion of the Texas cities and is growing at a more conservative rate.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2012, 06:23 AM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,663 posts, read 74,221,895 times
Reputation: 36087
Wherever there is mountain snow meltoff to supply ample water. I would think the cities along the Rio Grande in New Mexico would be fairly secure.

Here in Victoria, Texas (albeit about 80 miles east of I-35), we get all our public water supply straight out of the Guadalupe River, for a city of 70,000. And it is spectacular water, naturally very soft without chemical processing, and always tastes and smells good. And very rarely rationed, even during prolonged 100+ summer temperatures. I assume there are cities west of I-35 in a similar situation, like Kerrville orredericksburg. I don't know about San Antonio or Austin, but I haven't heard about any water crises there.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2012, 09:08 AM
 
Location: northern Vermont - previously NM, WA, & MA
9,423 posts, read 18,316,727 times
Reputation: 11902
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I'd recommend Albuquerque which hasn't had the population explosion of the Texas cities and is growing at a more conservative rate.
Though we're not at an alarming rate as those cities that draw from the Colorado River, Albuquerque does have water concerns for the future. Our aquifer from the Rio Grande is depleting at a rate that raises concern and awareness for the future. We've been in a prolonged drought for several years, just like the rest of the Southwest. The good thing is as a poster mentioned above the growth rate here has not been as fast as Arizona; surely our water supply could not sustain a metro area the size of Phoenix. With that said and with mention of the thread topic, our climate is certainly sunnier and warmer than Northeastern and Great Lakes areas, but today is damn cold! We have our share of cold snaps, fortunately they come and go.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2012, 04:43 PM
 
Location: Albuquerque, NM
37 posts, read 73,314 times
Reputation: 33
Only secure water supply states completely west of I-35 are Washington state and Oregon west of the Cascades. Both areas get minimal snow I am told, yet both don't get hot in the summer months.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2012, 06:31 PM
 
Location: northern Vermont - previously NM, WA, & MA
9,423 posts, read 18,316,727 times
Reputation: 11902
Quote:
Originally Posted by armorgan86nm View Post
Only secure water supply states completely west of I-35 are Washington state and Oregon west of the Cascades. Both areas get minimal snow I am told, yet both don't get hot in the summer months.
The mountains in OR & WA get plenty of snow. Mt. Baker in NW Washington held a world record for the most snowfall in a single season back in 1999. Mount Baker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 12-15-2012 at 06:40 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2012, 08:16 PM
 
Location: Seattle
115 posts, read 160,694 times
Reputation: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
The mountains in OR & WA get plenty of snow. Mt. Baker in NW Washington held a world record for the most snowfall in a single season back in 1999. Mount Baker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Cascades do get a lot of snow, but in the lowlands to the west, snow has not been too common in recent years. In rare low snow pack winters, we might have restrictions, but that hasn't happened in years. So our water sources are very secure. That said, I wouldn't call our climate "warm".
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2012, 03:42 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
656 posts, read 1,791,700 times
Reputation: 795
I have already lived in Oregon for a few years. I'm looking for a place with a warm climate and lots of sunshine.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2012, 07:40 PM
 
Location: Phoenix Arizona
2,032 posts, read 4,032,193 times
Reputation: 2693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juxtaposition109 View Post
I currently live in the Las Vegas area and the conversations are always looming about what will happen when the H2o supply gets low. I've moved plenty of times in my life so I have no problem moving to another city if something like H2o supply threatens the area. My GF and I aren't fans of cold weather. I don't really want to move back east, I could if I had to but I prefer living in the western United States. By western United States I mean everything west of Interstate 35. What cities with warmer sunshine oriented climates west of I 35 have the most stable water supply? I have thought about San Antonio but I'm not educated on its water supply. Does San Antonio get a lot of its water from any certain aquifers? I'm not looking for a debate about where the western US begins etc.... I'm looking for information on a large city (500,000 +) with a warm climate west of I 35 in the United States that has a stable water supply and lots of sunshine year round.
What do you think is going to happen? Do you think Las Vegas will "run out of water" and you'll die of thirst?

You're water bill will get higher, that's about it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2012, 09:43 PM
 
641 posts, read 824,021 times
Reputation: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juxtaposition109 View Post
I have already lived in Oregon for a few years. I'm looking for a place with a warm climate and lots of sunshine.
Then Las Cruces,NM just might be the place.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top