U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 10:42 PM

6,127 posts, read 6,453,158 times

Advertisements

Shhhhhh....don't tell people how nice it is here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 10:55 PM

6,816 posts, read 6,959,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Dont let it bother you cold lol
Youll find out when you move back up north to Indianapolis that alot of transplants in Indy came from the east or west coasts or the South.
These people like me were probably tired of the ignorance and the self-centeredness you find on the ignorant coasts.
So just ignore them and laugh at them.
As i always say living in a concrete jungle/wasteland like New York can do crazy things to you

Also i will add one major reason i refuse to donate money to disaster relief efforts of Hurricane Sandy/Irene is the east coasters like to trash talk the heartland then expect the heartland to feed and save their ass in their time of need? hahahhaha ya right.
Not to mention Taxes are already high enough so that should pay for any disaster recovery.
Yet I'm sure many of the people on the East Coast donated to disasters like the Joplin Tornado, etc.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:48 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,323,136 times
Quote:
its called what goes around comes around
The Heartland of America provides the food that you need to survive.
So trash talking the heartland which a couple of Coasters even on City-Data like to do isnt a wise decision
Actually, California leads in that category.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:55 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,336,032 times
Quote:
As i always say living in a concrete jungle/wasteland like New York can do crazy things to you
Oh yeah? Look at downtown South Bend, for example. How is a concrete jungle/wsteland any worse than a concrete desert/wastelamd? Apparently, that can do crazy things to people, too.

The reason people from the coasts call it Flyover Country is because they fly over it. Which is not a difficult concept to grasp. There are two ways an area can get nicknamed. Either through money-driven boosterism from the Chamber of Commerce (which never reflects reality) or condemnation from outsiders (which sometimes reflects reality). Sadly, the former is the one that more often sticks.

Imagine arriving by car at the Indiana state line, and seeing a sign that says "Flyover Country welcomes you". Instead lthey blather something about Crossroads, which is BS, every state has lots of crossroads (except Nebraska), but Indiana has nothing else to brag about. "This is where I-70, going somewhere, crosses I-65 going somewhere". Whoop te doo. "Drivethrough Country". Same thing. Gas-Food-Lodging.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-16-2012 at 09:16 AM..

Old 12-16-2012, 09:19 AM

6,816 posts, read 6,959,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Oh yeah? Look at downtown South Bend, for example. How is a concrete jungle/wsteland any worse than a concrete desert/wastelamd? Apparently, that can do crazy things to people, too.

The reason people from the coasts call it Flyover Country is because they fly over it. Which is not a difficult concept to grasp. There are two ways an area can get nicknamed. Either through money-driven boosterism from the Chamber of Commerce (which never reflects reality) or condemnation from outsiders (which sometimes reflects reality). Sadly, the former is the one that more often sticks.

Imagine arriving by car at the Indiana state line, and seeing a sign that says "Flyover Country welcomes you". Instead lthey blather something about Crossroads, which is BS, every state has lots of crossroads (except Nebraska), but Indiana has nothing else to brag about. "This is where I-70, going somewhere, crosses I-65 going somewhere". Whoop te doo. "Drivethrough Country". Same thing. Gas-Food-Lodging.
Most people would rather take that wasteland known as NYC then live in Michiana...like where is that even at? I don't even know....please stay in your countryside and stay out of the cities....we don't need hillbillies and rednecks there anyway.

Last edited by JMT; 12-16-2012 at 01:57 PM.. Reason: Let's not make this personal.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:52 AM

6,514 posts, read 9,072,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

Why bring up downtown South Bend? For a city its size it's actually a decent downtown.

And Indiana has more interstates than any other state in the country.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:56 AM

1,466 posts, read 1,041,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Most people would rather take that wasteland known as NYC then live in Michiana...like where is that even at? I don't even know....please stay in your countryside and stay out of the cities....we don't need hillbillies and rednecks there anyway.
(Can't tell if being sarcastic or not) If you're serious:

Michiana refers to the area around the Indiana-Michigan border. I think that should be fairly obvious. Also Atlanta is such a bastion of culture, and totally has no hillbillies or rednecks.

If you were being sarcastic, then it was pretty good.

From what I can tell from this thread, there are ignorant people on the coasts and in the fly over states. So let's just agree on that and hate the Canadians instead.

Last edited by JMT; 12-16-2012 at 01:57 PM..

Old 12-16-2012, 10:00 AM

Is Atlanta considered flyover country since it's not on the coast?
Is Houston considered flyover country?
Is Dallas considered flyover country?
Is Denver considered flyover country?
Is Chicago considered flyover country?
Is Detroit considered flyover country?
Is Pittsburgh considered flyover country?
Is Cincinnati considered flyover country?
Is Las Vegas considered flyover country?

All these major cities that exist between both coasts...most of them are HUGE cities with lots of culture and history, are they actually that insignificant?

Old 12-16-2012, 10:17 AM

1,807 posts, read 2,535,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Is Atlanta considered flyover country since it's not on the coast?
Is Houston considered flyover country?
Is Dallas considered flyover country?
Is Denver considered flyover country?
Is Chicago considered flyover country?
Is Detroit considered flyover country?
Is Pittsburgh considered flyover country?
Is Cincinnati considered flyover country?
Is Las Vegas considered flyover country?

All these major cities that exist between both coasts...most of them are HUGE cities with lots of culture and history, are they actually that insignificant?
I think it's mostly an obsolete term; at least, I don't hear it often.

I think initially it was anything not in New York or LA. Then, anybody from a coastal city sort of started using it, then Chicago, and probably Atlanta because of its airport....

I don't think it was meant to be derisive, although it's difficult not to take it that way if you live in flyover country.

Also, any high-income earner on the coasts nowadays is more than likely making a few business trips into flyover country....there are 19 fortune 500's in Minneapolis.....more government jobs in Denver and KC than any other place besides Washington....the folks that actually use "flyover country" with any sense of derision anymore are the people from New York or maybe Boston or Philly who literally never leave their city-- the urban equivalent of "country bumpkin," if you will....

Old 12-16-2012, 10:47 AM

I'd wager a bet that a lot of these people who live on the coast actually FLY into some of these "fly over cities" in the midwest and great plains, there is plenty of business there, just not the same kind of tourism as what exists on the coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or