Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 06:03 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberryQuartz View Post
I'm from Northern California but everyone always says my voice sounds Southern! I guess it does. I pronounce things differently than my peers, always have...not sure why, I've never even visited the South.

I thought it was just me, but I recently met a girl who sounded like a total New Yorker to me. She ended up being from Oregon and had never been east before!

Anyone else have an accent that doesn't match where they're from? I'm kind of curious about this now.
Maybe you picked it up from TV. Seriously, maybe you watched a TV show a lot and picked up that accent. When I was a kid I used to read a lot of Agatha Christie books and I started to write things for school sounding like a Brit had written it.

I have a NYC/LI accent where I spent a good chunk of my life but for the last 17 years lived in MD and TN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 08:13 AM

1,462 posts, read 2,959,088 times
South Carolina has two accents. 1. South Carolina "southern" accent 2. Gullah accent in the Low Country for a lot of African Americans.

Unfortunately my accent is not strong at all. I even have South Carolinians asking where I'm from when I go home. My parents are from the North as well as my family, so I was never exposed to it in my immediate family.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:27 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,886,165 times
Good question! I was born here but most weren't, so I don't know for certain I'm probably the one who has the accent.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:50 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Yes, I sound Southern.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:56 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Most people think I am from the NE from outside of the area, many ask NY which baffles me, Philly and NY accents are nothing alike IMHO

I dont think I have a strong accent (though likely noticeable) but particular words give it away

water
daughter
Detroit
donkey
etc.

People also think I speak quickly, not sure but I have been told many times (mostly by people not from the area or Northeast)

Old 12-19-2012, 09:05 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Most people think I am from the NE from outside of the area, many ask NY which baffles me, Philly and NY accents are nothing alike IMHO

I dont think I have a strong accent (though likely noticeable) but particular words give it away

water
daughter
Detroit
donkey
etc.

People also think I speak quickly, not sure but I have been told many times (mostly by people not from the area or Northeast)
Do you pronounce the R at the end of "water" and "daughter"? I notice many people in your area don't.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:12 AM

505 posts, read 940,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Do you pronounce the R at the end of "water" and "daughter"? I notice many people in your area don't.
That's more of a far North New England thing (Maine, New Hampshire, Mass.) than a PA or NY thing.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:14 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
would say barely for the "r"

but "water" is is probably the biggest Philly accent give-away

Water vs. Wooder - YouTube

The Philly Accent - YouTube

And I forgot Illinois - that is another I do and a give-away

Old 12-19-2012, 12:55 PM

42 posts, read 67,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Maybe you picked it up from TV. Seriously, maybe you watched a TV show a lot and picked up that accent. When I was a kid I used to read a lot of Agatha Christie books and I started to write things for school sounding like a Brit had written it.

I have a NYC/LI accent where I spent a good chunk of my life but for the last 17 years lived in MD and TN.
I've wondered about that too! As far as I remember, I didn't watch any TV shows or movies that had Southern characters (well, I'm sure some did, but none that stick out as a favorite or one that I would watch on repeat)...but I grew up listening to a lot of country music! It was always my favorite genre, I wonder if that had anything to do with it.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:45 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
I was born in the northeast but moved south when I was 3 - about the time I was learning to speak. My parents were from Chicago. So I have an accent unto myself. I like to think I can speak in the southern accent if I try, but it is speaking the local dialect as much as anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.