Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 07:44 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times

Advertisements

I grew up mainly in Connecticut, outside of New York City, and I don't think anyone I knew ever used the term "East Coast." People talked about the Northeast, New England and the Mid Atlantic, or (if you were talking about the Bos-Wash megaplex in general) the Northeast Corridor.

But I've noticed a lot of people online use the term East Coast to be synonymous with the Northeast, which I find kind of odd, given the East Coast continues all the way down to Florida. Is this something that people in the Midwest and West do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 08:22 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,228,788 times
I think the farther west one goes the more likely you are to hear people refer to the North east proper as just the "East Coast". People in general are not good with geography and the further one would be away from the north east the less they would potentially care about the correctness of their statements as it pertains to geography. Virtually no one who actually leaves on the east coast would say that. They would likely all say "up north" or "Northeast" in my expirience. The same way as east coasters New Yorkers/Maine/Florida and all points in between say "Out West" for anywhere virtually from Texas/Colorado all the way to California and Washington State when really they should be breaking that large geographic area down to a more specific term like the "Pacific Northwest" "Mountain West" or Southwest" lol or plain old "California"

Old 01-28-2013, 09:36 AM

43,646 posts, read 44,375,612 times
For me East Coast is from Maine all the way down to Florida. I haven't heard it being interchanged with the term "Northeast" which is just the northern area of the East Coast.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:45 AM

27,558 posts, read 28,652,113 times
East coast = the northeast in the same way that west coast = California. It's simply what's conventional.

Anything south of the DC area is considered the southeastern U.S. just like anything north of California is the Pacific Northwest.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
East coast = the northeast in the same way that west coast = California. It's simply what's conventional.
What's conventional with who? Where are you from? That was my entire point dude.

Personally, I've never used West Coast to just mean California. Unless you're just talking about hip-hop, in which case it just means SoCal anyway.

Quote:
Anything south of the DC area is considered the southeastern U.S. just like anything north of California is the Pacific Northwest.
Of course everything from Virginia to Florida would be the Southeast. And what is to the north of something which is southeast. Hrrm...

Personally, I don't see the purpose of talking about a region which contains two states, so I just lump CA/WA/OR/HI/AL as the "Coastal West" as opposed to the "Interior West"

Old 01-28-2013, 03:35 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Personally, I don't see the purpose of talking about a region which contains two states, so I just lump CA/WA/OR/HI/AL as the "Coastal West" as opposed to the "Interior West"
What region is it that has two states? The Pacific northwest? It doesn't. It includes Idaho, Montana, British Columbia, and Alberta or parts thereof as well as Oregon and Washington. Essentially from the coast to the Continental Divide. The West Coast is California, Oregon, and Washington.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:37 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,005,312 times
Quote:

Yep.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:09 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
The northeast is home to 3 of the 5 largest media markets in the USA.

1 New York
2 Los Angeles
3 Chicago
4 Philadelphia
5 Boston

Plus, Washington DC is #8. News events in those top markets draw a lot of national news attention, because the coverage of them is sure to get high ratings.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:16 PM

778 posts, read 998,046 times
Sun rises East to West, news media is centralized there, so most of the time whatever happens happens there first, and as stated above, 3/5, and 4/8 top media markets in the US are on the East Coast. (im not going to get technical about Philly being inland here)

Its extremely cultural as well.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
What region is it that has two states? The Pacific northwest? It doesn't. It includes Idaho, Montana, British Columbia, and Alberta or parts thereof as well as Oregon and Washington. Essentially from the coast to the Continental Divide. The West Coast is California, Oregon, and Washington.
I've always used Pacific Northwest to mean WA and OR only. I can understand why you would want to include British Columbia, but given it refers to the Northwestern part of the United States, and BC isn't in the northwest of Canada, I don't think it's applicable.

Idaho was part of Oregon Country, as was small parts of Montana and Wyoming, but none of these are on the Pacific. I could see you saying they were part of "Cascadia," but not the Pacific Northwest itself. They are Rocky Mountain/Interior West states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.