U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 10:02 AM

7,137 posts, read 9,913,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
How does texas get a 2 for forests? Texas has massive forests
I agree with you but on Cbmsu01's list he has states which are more than 50% forested (New York and Pennsylvania) as only a 4 for forest so how high should he raise Texas? Maybe he should raise all three states but obviously thats up to him.

Actually the thing that I would change first on Cbmsu's list is giving states a ONE for a feature that they really do not have. For instance, New York, Pennsylvania and Maryland getting a ONE for desert category, they should get a big fat ZERO. Likewise Colorado does not have a shoreline and should get a ZERO for beaches; IMO a handful of small lake beaches do not really count.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2012, 10:10 AM

243 posts, read 477,544 times
California
Arizona

....only states where you can go from palm trees to snow within a few hours. I personally like Arizona more, even though it lacks beaches. The water in California is cold and murky anyway.

Other diverse states:

New Mexico
Texas (due to its size)
Oregon
Washington
Utah
Colorado
Wyoming
Montana

Old 12-22-2012, 10:21 AM

6,419 posts, read 10,869,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmsu01 View Post
Additional scores:

19: Georgia, North Carolina, Virginia
18: Hawaii, Idaho, Maine, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Nevada, New Jersey, Tennessee, Wisconsin
17: Alabama, Alaska, Connecticut, Florida, Kentucky, Michigan, Montana, Ohio
16: Illinois, Louisiana, Missouri, West Virginia
15: Arkansas, Mississippi, New Hampshire, South Carolina, Wyoming
14: Indiana, South Dakota, Vermont
13: Delaware, North Dakota, Oklahoma
12: Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, Rhode Island
I'm not going to suggest that Tennessee should be with Georgia, North Carolina, and Virginia, but it is very, very similar to those. It's basically like any of those states without a coast.

You have large mountains in the east (larger in size than any of the other eastern states other than North Carolina) including sixteen 6,000+ foot ones, rolling hills, foothills, ridges, flat plains land, and even some swamps in West Tennessee...3 large navigable rivers, two 1 million+ metros, two more 500,000+ metros, a plethora of small towns, and quite a bit of forested land, waterfalls, caves (over 8,000 of them, due to the geology of the area), a plateau, etc. etc. A lot of other states might have these features...but not many have them on the scale that we do, or in such even distribution.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:21 AM

7,137 posts, read 9,913,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
With California at the top and in not necessarily in any particular order after that I'd say....

California
Oregon
Washington
Texas
Hawaii
Alaska
North Carolina
New York
Virginia
Maine (Maine even has a "desert"!...sort of lol Desert of Maine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )

Saw someone a few pages back mention Florida...was that a joke? I'd say Florida is one of if not THE least geographically diverse states in the nation...especially for its size.
No, I did not mention Florida as a joke. Florida has a number of features that only a few other states have.

The main thing that Florida is missing is mountains and there are not exactly alot of hills either. It is shocking for me that even Long Island (or little Staten Island!) has higher hills than all of Florida.

Britton Hill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Florida)
Todt Hill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Staten Island)

But when it comes to things concerning water, Florida on a semi-tropical peninsula filled with beaches does very well.

coral reefs
mangroves swamps
the Everglades
the Keys
underwater limestone caves
numerous natural lakes

Not saying that Florida is the most unique state, just saying it has more than you might think.

Old 12-22-2012, 12:18 PM

8,931 posts, read 11,809,128 times
I love how people point out that Texas has an advantage due to its size, as if these other states aren't huge.

You could take away the Panhandle, North Texas, and South Texas, and the state will still be in the top 5 for diversity.

Now, if California, Oregon, Washington, and Arizona were all the size of Tennessee, they wouldn't exactly have the same level of diversity that they do now. Let's keep it real, folks.

Old 12-22-2012, 03:15 PM

9,385 posts, read 9,548,809 times
New Hampshire is very Diverse, Mountains, coastal plain, Forests, marshes (directly on the coast) Bluffs/Cliffs ect.

Maine is stunning but almost all the same.

Old 12-22-2012, 05:15 PM

1,152 posts, read 2,616,839 times
Idaho is easily one of the most diverse states and is the most diverse Rocky Mountain state in terms of varying geography and topography, and even the SW states do not even come close to the diverse landscapes within Idaho's borders. Idaho has more ecosystems then any other state in the west (10 level III ecoregions and 71 level IV ecoregions) except for California which has the most.

A few examples: the furthest inland temperate rainforest in the world, over 400 miles from the coast, is in Northern Idaho and extends up into British Columbia. The City of Rocks in Southeast Idaho has some of the oldest rock on the North American continent. Up in the Idaho Batholith in central ID, which is granite and quartz, there is one of the deepest sources of natural spring water in the world, Trinity Springs. Craters of the Moon and surrounding ancient lava flows are among the largest lava flows on earth and these lava flows hide away small lush ecosystems surrounded by hard rock. South of Boise there are the Owyhee Canyonlands which has the largest concentration of sheer-walled volcanic rhyolite and basalt canyons in the western US. Idaho has the deepest river canyon in North America, Hells Canyon, and the Salmon River Canyon is also one of the deepest. The largest concentration of fresh water natural lakes west of the Mississippi are in Northern Idaho, none of the other Rocky Mountain states come close to the natural lakes Idaho offers up. The largest roadless alpine wilderness/mountain areas left in the Lower 48 are in Idaho as well as the largest uninterrupted forests left in the west. Idaho has deserts, lush forests, over 80 named mountain ranges and 50 mountain peaks over 10,000 feet, and more miles of rivers then any other state except Alaska.

There are so many more examples. Idaho is unknown to so many people which is good because it remains pristine and protected by a lot of designated Wilderness, it really is a national treasure.

Last edited by TohobitPeak; 12-22-2012 at 05:34 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-22-2012, 05:28 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,037,633 times
I'm not saying Arizona is the most diverse, but I'd argue for a firm spot in the top ten. Map below shows most of the ecological regions of Arizona. It leaves out the Mountain/Highland designation, doesn't differentiate between Woodland and Forest, but does between Chaparral and Grasslands, all present in the state.

Many states have desert, but only Arizona has all 4 of North America's deserts; The Chihuahuan, Great Basin, The Mojave, and
of course the Sonoran. For those that don't know, these deserts can have very different flora/fauna and rainy seasons which are important distinctions when counting ecosystems.

Old 12-22-2012, 05:32 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,037,633 times
Didn't realize the map was so big, sorry.^^

Old 12-22-2012, 05:38 PM

18,509 posts, read 28,180,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I agree with you but on Cbmsu01's list he has states which are more than 50% forested (New York and Pennsylvania) as only a 4 for forest so how high should he raise Texas? Maybe he should raise all three states but obviously thats up to him.

Actually the thing that I would change first on Cbmsu's list is giving states a ONE for a feature that they really do not have. For instance, New York, Pennsylvania and Maryland getting a ONE for desert category, they should get a big fat ZERO. Likewise Colorado does not have a shoreline and should get a ZERO for beaches; IMO a handful of small lake beaches do not really count.
yes, he should raise all three. It is silly giving Texas a 2 for forests when you can fit entire states in Texas's forests.

as for the rest I agree. if a state does not have something, give it a zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8train View Post
California
Arizona

....only states where you can go from palm trees to snow within a few hours. I personally like Arizona more, even though it lacks beaches. The water in California is cold and murky anyway.
Nonsense, there are other states where you go from Palm Trees to Snow in hours.

which do you think we lack in the Gulf States, Palm trees or Snow??

I Think Lubbock TX was the Major US city to get the most snow last year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or