U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 05:21 PM

38,690 posts, read 89,187,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Do you hate your accent sometimes?
No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 05:29 PM

6,488 posts, read 16,152,784 times
Quote:

Just blows.
I say embrace it. It's who you are. I have a weird accent myself. I tried to "correct" it, but that just made things worse. Whereas my accent was traceable to my native region before, now it's just a mess and people don't ask what state I'm from anymore, they ask what country!

Old 12-19-2012, 05:40 PM

6,620 posts, read 11,668,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
I say embrace it. It's who you are. I have a weird accent myself. I tried to "correct" it, but that just made things worse. Whereas my accent was traceable to my native region before, now it's just a mess and people don't ask what state I'm from anymore, they ask what country!
Lol. I'm guessing it's a Jersey accent?

Old 12-19-2012, 05:59 PM

862 posts, read 1,215,482 times
I just took this accent test on YouTube and recorded my voice on my iPhone. Turns out I have a slight southern accent, especially when I say the words, "caramel", "coupon", and "caught". So yes, I like my accent. However, when I said the word wash, it sounded a little bit like "warsh".

Accent Tag: Florida Style - YouTube

A lot of people here in my southern FL town say the days of the week in "dee" instead of "day". For instance, "Mon-dee", "Toos-dee", "Wens-dee" and so. Coffee sound like, cawfee, and "cup of" sounds like "cuppa". "Suger" sounds like "suga".People here do say, "y'all", and people usually don't say the "g" at the end of "ing" words. Example: nothin' or somethin' etc.

Women tend to call other people, "suga", "hon or honey", "darlin'", etc.
Men tend to call other guys, "bubba" or "man" or "bro".

Last edited by CountryFisher; 12-19-2012 at 06:31 PM..

Old 12-19-2012, 06:31 PM

6,513 posts, read 9,052,094 times
Quote:
Never heard the cut the lights on thing. Does that literally mean turn the lights on?

My cousins from Indiana call it pop too and I never understood it either lol.

My main point of this thread though was mainly about how my physical appearance certainly does not match up with the way I speak.
Yes, it literally means turn the lights on.

Yeah, I've never seen an Asian person with an east coast/Bostonian accent. Might make me do a double take.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:36 PM

3,234 posts, read 7,628,804 times
I have come across white Japanese immigrants. I had to do a double take seeing white people with Japanese accents.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:52 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,488,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
I have come across white Japanese immigrants. I had to do a double take seeing white people with Japanese accents.
Me too! I met an exchange student when I was going to university, in Canada, who was a Japanese girl of Anglo-Canadian descent. She spoke perfect English in the local accent, but every little mannerism and bit of body language and habit was just pure Japanese. She related to people and just... acted like a Japanese person even without the accent. In some ways, I feel like an accent is more than the way you pronounce your words, it's communicated in how quickly you speak them, in your swagger, in the way you tilt your head, the amount of personal space you create around yourself etc. We're often unconscious of these things, but it's the whole combination that creates an effect.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:49 PM

6,488 posts, read 16,152,784 times
Quote:
Lol. I'm guessing it's a Jersey accent?
Nope, though I've caught myself saying "cawfee" a few times in recent years.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:59 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,567,767 times
I occasionally come across teens/twenty-somethings of Asian descent who speak in an African American "street" vernacular. It's always disconcerting because what I hear completely contradicts what I see.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:43 PM

7,730 posts, read 6,139,094 times
I think the Baltimore accent is funny as hell. I don't hate it, but I'd dont prefer it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or