U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 10:17 PM

6,620 posts, read 11,690,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
I occasionally come across teens/twenty-somethings of Asian descent who speak in an African American "street" vernacular. It's always disconcerting because what I hear completely contradicts what I see.
Nah I don't talk like I'm ghetto, I just sound like an old Italian guy from NYC lmao. I should have just been born full Italian.

I always felt bad for my dad though since his famiy is so small and my mom's Italian family is so huge so whenever there was a holiday or some type of get together, it was always with my mom's family. I never really had a big Korean influence in my life from my dad's side. /random thought
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 01:15 PM

1,236 posts, read 1,429,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
"fixin'" or another one is, "cut the lights on!" How can you cut something on? You can cut it off...but not on.

Being from the midwest we called it pop, that's probably the only part of the country that says it that way. The rest of the country says "soda" and the deep south calls it all coke, even if it's a Mountain Dew, it's a coke. SMH
I know for sure that it is called pop in Illinois and Michigan. Where else in the Midwest is the name common? Everyone who doesn't call it pop is wrong.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:20 PM

94 posts, read 191,790 times
I have/had a southern accent (Kentucky). I moved to NY, and there were lots of jokes made about it, but all in good nature. Since then it's mostly faded, and even though growing up I thought having a southern accent was embarrassing, I miss it now. I want it back! It just feels like part of who I am, in some ways, and it throws me off now-a-days when people can't tell I am southern at all.

I've been in KY visiting family for a few weeks, though, and i"m sure it's back in full swing. I can hear it when I say words with long "i"s. lol.

Oh, and as for wording - that never goes away. At least for me. Might have lost my accent in NY, but I still say "Y'all" and "coke" refers to all soft drinks, not just Coca Cola.

I LOVE accents, though, to be fair. I think they're awesome and really interesting.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:32 PM

15,611 posts, read 25,060,886 times
love my brooklyn accent.
cant help it anyway.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:36 PM

396 posts, read 1,062,601 times
My story is like the OP. I grew up in New York, but my mother is an English college professor so I technically should not have an accent. However, my nanny was from Brooklyn so I picked that up. I have siblings in Staten Island so I picked that up. My kindergarten teacher was British, which caused me to pronounce certain words the way they say them in the UK. (Garage = gay-raaage, futile = fu-tile). Lastly, I have lived in Virginia on and off and finished high school in Jacksonville, Fl so I sound like the entire east coast muddled into one.
I never thought I sounded different until I moved to Chicago two weeks ago and realized just how out of place my voice was. However, I love my accent and don't want to get rid of it

Old 12-21-2012, 04:34 PM

6,514 posts, read 9,077,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
I know for sure that it is called pop in Illinois and Michigan. Where else in the Midwest is the name common? Everyone who doesn't call it pop is wrong.
Born in Illinois and raised in Indiana, everyone calls it pop in those states, pretty sure Ohio is part of that group too.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:31 PM

6,495 posts, read 10,812,909 times
Quote:
Born in Illinois and raised in Indiana, everyone calls it pop in those states, pretty sure Ohio is part of that group too.
Yes, but it's not completely crazy to hear it called soda in Indiana or Ohio either. Having lived in the south for 8 years, I tend to use pop and soda interchangeably. But my accent is more northern/central Ohio.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:37 PM

15,097 posts, read 31,458,282 times
Quote:
What does "pop" even mean? Seriously, where did that word even come from?

Old 12-22-2012, 04:32 AM

1,236 posts, read 1,429,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I suggest that you stop opening your "pop" and allowing it to lose its carbonation. Just kidding. Cough *NOT REALLY* Cough!

I don't know. If there is a genuine answer, I'm unaware of it. However, I grew up in Illinois, Harvey. "Pops" were labeled "pop". There was Faygo Red Pop. There was a Shasta commercial with a jingle that I'll never forget: "I want a pop, pop, pop, I want a, Shasta. It has a taste of pizzazz. The great taste that only Shasta has." Or something like that. However, "pop" does pop. Or it used to. Other than an occasional Five Hour Energy, I don't drink pop anymore.

See the cheesy/ nostalgic 80s commercial for Shasta Cola. Who remembers this? Did it air nationwide?

classic shasta pop commercial - Yahoo! Search Results

Last edited by ThreeSides; 12-22-2012 at 04:36 AM.. Reason: space

Old 12-22-2012, 09:42 AM

6,620 posts, read 11,690,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Yeah it's kind of annoying. My family from Ohio and Indiana all call it pop. But since living here in Atlanta, they seem to refer to all types of soda as Coke. Which is odd to my ears because once I request an actual Coke, they ask me what kind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or