Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 12:50 AM

2,222 posts, read 3,599,036 times

Advertisements

There were plenty of neighborhoods like this in Brooklyn in the past, but it seems like a lot of them became predominantly black or Latino after the white flight of the mid century.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 07:38 AM

1,018 posts, read 1,849,133 times
I don't know if there are any left of this classic Ahkenazic type, the Jewish population is too dispersed, suburbanized, and professionalized. But in LA there are neighborhoods with lots of Jewish immigrants from Israel and the Middle East that might qualify, such as Pico/Robertson and parts of North Hollywood.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:42 AM

5,461 posts, read 5,702,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
There were plenty of neighborhoods like this in Brooklyn in the past, but it seems like a lot of them became predominantly black or Latino after the white flight of the mid century.
Do you mean mid 19th century or something?

In the 21st century around 15% of Brooklyn population is Jewish and most of them are working class, welcome to 2012!!!

Old 12-20-2012, 08:44 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,727,979 times
Blue collar? Maybe Brighton Beach in Brooklyn may the last. Past that all the neighborhoods in the US and Canada I've seen have been white collar on the most part.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:47 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,553,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post

There are hassidic areas in greater NY (notably South Williamburg, Kiryas Joel/Monroe, and the New Square and Keyser villages near Monsey) where almost no one has a college degree and many people work in blue collar or other unskilled or semiskilled jobs (though there are also some quite successful business people in those communities) Thats probably as close as you would get.

Even in Yeshivish (not hassidic) haredi areas like Lakewood, I think youd find a more white collar vibe.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:04 AM

93,157 posts, read 123,754,884 times
I think that you may have some Jews that have stayed in these neighborhoods, but I don't know or think that there are any that are predominantly Jewish.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:11 AM

43,610 posts, read 44,341,041 times
In NYC there are some neighborhoods that predominantly Jewish, but I would venture say that these are white collar areas.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:20 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,727,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
There are hassidic areas in greater NY (notably South Williamburg, Kiryas Joel/Monroe, and the New Square and Keyser villages near Monsey) where almost no one has a college degree and many people work in blue collar or other unskilled or semiskilled jobs (though there are also some quite successful business people in those communities) Thats probably as close as you would get.

Even in Yeshivish (not hassidic) haredi areas like Lakewood, I think youd find a more white collar vibe.
Most of the ones from Boro Park & Williamsburg work in retail related fields. Very few work in manual labor (butcher, diamond cutter) positions.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:44 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,553,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Most of the ones from Boro Park & Williamsburg work in retail related fields. Very few work in manual labor (butcher, diamond cutter) positions.
There are many others in blue collar jobs aside from the stereotypical ones like diamond cutter and kosher butcher. There are ones who drive school buses for the hassidic school systems, and ones who work as things like electricians and plumbers, and some marginal folks who work in less skilled occupations. And many of the retail workers are marginally employed in small stores within their community.

This isnt 1985 anymore - there simply isnt room in electronics retail (and related areas where they fit in well) for all the young hassidim who need jobs. To some extent they have adapted by breaking with their taboo against secular higher ed - using internet courses, Trouro college, even Kingsborough, to get training in white collar/semi professional fields - but some have adapted by moving into skilled blue collar fields, and some have simply descended into poverty.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:02 AM

744 posts, read 1,091,056 times
Surprised no one has mentioned Skokie, IL yet.

When I drove through Chicago, it looked pretty working class to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.