U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 02:55 PM

9,028 posts, read 16,419,733 times

Advertisements

wow - shocked to see queen creek, az make the list ..... not exactly known for owner occupied homes or a high percentage of college grads
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 03:07 PM

21,182 posts, read 30,336,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy.Rivers View Post
Another failed methodology rankings....Apopka, FL at #14??? I live not far from Apopka and can tell you it's not exactly a bastion of friendliness and light.....it's a random middle class suburb of Orlando with just the right proportion of population to charitable giving. Had anyone given thought to the fact that one or two very generous benefactors who happen to live in Small Town "X" skew the results???

Old 12-21-2012, 03:11 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,548,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Another failed methodology rankings....Apopka, FL at #14??? I live not far from Apopka and can tell you it's not exactly a bastion of friendliness and light.....it's a random middle class suburb of Orlando with just the right proportion of population to charitable giving. Had anyone given thought to the fact that one or two very generous benefactors who happen to live in Small Town "X" skew the results???
Good point!
Also, I wonder if the statistics come from personally walking the streets or driving there and visiting the down towns. Likely not...

Old 12-21-2012, 05:46 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,212,583 times
Warning: Turn your speakers off, this is one of those sites that blasts you with commercials (I got dryer sheets), even while you are trying to figure out how to cycle through the list and see that nearly all of them are country club suburbs that are way way too expensive for you to even think about living in, and if you're a minority, forget it -- very unlikely you will find any friendliness. All appear to be suburbs that the New York City editors of the magazine thought might be tolerable places if you were sent there on the witness protection program.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:19 PM

864 posts, read 1,686,995 times
Ugh, I remember Sammamish being just a snobby upper middle class suburb between Redmond and Issaquah, not an actual town... Definitely wasn't feelin' the friendly vibes there, though it doesn't surprise me that it met the criteria used. A little further out, in North Bend, Duvall, and Carnation is way more pleasant and "friendly" in a real sense.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:04 PM

9,422 posts, read 18,313,139 times
Yeah whatever, another Forbes list. Everyone know how meaningless they are.

Old 12-22-2012, 05:16 AM

8,488 posts, read 17,930,589 times
Quote:
Nextdoor examined over a thousand towns and cities across the U.S. and then took the top 500 based upon the Nextdoor Neighborhood Index (NNI) for neighborhood engagement. This NNI ranking took into consideration the most engaged Nextdoor neighborhood websites, looking at both number of active members across neighborhoods within a town or city, as well as the amount of content posted by members
Nextdoor says you are friendly if your town has a Nextdoor website

Old 12-22-2012, 09:19 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,212,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Yeah whatever, another Forbes list. Everyone know how meaningless they are.
Does anybody who reads Forbes have any concept at all what the word "friendly" even means? Backslappers at the country club, maybe? Soccer Moms carpooling in their Escalades?

Old 12-23-2012, 02:49 AM

65 posts, read 106,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Hamilton NY is very nice and it was the fastest growing town in the Syracuse NY metro area during the last census. It is also home to Colgate University.
I've been to Hamilton, NY/Colgate several times for football games. It's a cool, relatively low-key college town, but I'm not sure if it's one of the "friendliest. It's almost too small to be that friendly. Personally, I prefer Norwich which is about 25 miles south on NY 12.

Ithaca is, without a doubt, the "ultimate" NY college town/cool town imo. I love the vibe of Ithaca, Cortland, Hanover NH, Plattsburgh, Burlington, Bozeman(I live 10 minutes away), Missoula, Amherst...

Old 12-23-2012, 09:30 AM

5,265 posts, read 14,898,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy.Rivers View Post
Not sure about the college graduate one, but as for home ownership I can see the rationale. Home owners generally are more personally invested in keeping up their homes, and being involved in community. A larger portion of renters than home owners have a more temporary attitude, so less goes into the community.
Yeah...is about transiency. People who own their homes generally stay put longer than renters and certainly take better care of their homes. Staying put longer means putting down more roots/getting to know more people in the community...ie..."being friendly". That's obviously not to say that renters can't be friendly people at all.....but I understand why it was a criteria they used.

That being said...most of the towns on this list are simply affluent suburbs in major metro areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.