Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 09:58 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,329,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Millennium View Post
No way Miami is more miserable then Detroit or Flint....

Then when you get to Sacramento they talk about the Kings basketball team? Yeah a bad basketball team that may relocate is a big reason for the city being "miserable" . How Sacramento can be included on this list over some other Central Valley cities is baffling.

Also, Fort Lauderdale doesn't seem like a miserable city to me at all. Quite the opposite from the brief time I spent. They have a beach, nightlife, restaurants, own airport. Close to Miami to take advantage of it, but away from the chaos. I doubt West Palm Beach qualifies either. Bunk list.
I guess it's up to your own interpretation. I occasionally vacation in Miami and even though it's an amazing and fantastic city to visit; I can imagine it being a very miserable city to live in. Don't get me wrong, I love laying on the beach and watching the beautiful ladies walk by and the weather, ocean and architecture is gorgeous, even in the most destitute areas but there are some major cons that could make it less livable than those places in Michigan-

- Yes, Miami has great nightlife but most of the clubs and bars cater to transient tourists who leave and go back to [insert location here] after a weekend of partying so it's hard for a local to truly benefit from it (if they want more than a one-night stand).

- Miami also has a HORRIFIC job market and economy which is not a big secret. This contributes to the level of poverty the city suffers from, especially in a city already prone to poverty&suffering due to MASS illegal immigration from Latin America.

- Not to mention several hurricanes that usually cause major damage every year.

- Traffic is also very bad and the conditions of most roads are horrible. Public transportation sucks. Since the city has a huge amount of undocumented ppl, there are unlicensed drivers so that leads to even more crappy drivers.

- Crime is a huge issue too, the city is notorious for crime.

- Can't forget about the HOT humid weather all year round. Heat could feel nice but humidity is just disgusting and makes things sticky, leads to bad hair days and just a nasty feeling.

- The city can be materialistic too w/douchebags buying Porches, Lexuses, BMW's, etc, to show off; this can make the poor/average joes (majority) feel inadequate and this influences women to be materialistic golddiggers and destroys many chances for a true honest relationship.

- God forbid you go to live there and you can't speak Spanish. For the most part, this essentially limits your social life to elderly retirees, tourists and some immigrants who even bothered to learn some English.

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 12-23-2012 at 10:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2012, 03:06 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,805,531 times
Surprised Charlotte, NC did not make the list.!!

Old 12-23-2012, 09:30 PM

64 posts, read 125,666 times
Scranton, PA should be on this list. I'm back for the holiday's, yuck. It's a depressing place...

Old 12-24-2012, 09:48 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,828,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUowl06 View Post
Scranton, PA should be on this list. I'm back for the holiday's, yuck. It's a depressing place...
Drove through there in the beginning of the year and it made me contemplate suicide.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:59 AM

1,018 posts, read 1,850,028 times
Stockton, California could be a contender--the city government went bankrupt and the city has high rates of unemployment, crime, and air pollution. And yet they're so close to the (at least relatively) thriving San Francisco Bay Area.

Old 12-25-2012, 11:45 AM

26,406 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Muskegon, MI should be on this list.

Old 12-25-2012, 08:15 PM

180 posts, read 327,758 times
Most of my family live in chicago. They always complain about their property taxes. It seems it is better to rent than to own. Chicago (or IL) does seem to tax you at every corner. I laugh at all the taxes they have to pay. I suppose you have to decide if that taxes you pay is worth the cost of living in the city.

Old 12-25-2012, 08:17 PM

180 posts, read 327,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlite View Post
Stockton, California could be a contender--
Most cities in CA are in shambles. CA is probably the most fiscally irresponsible state in the union. At least CA has prop 13 which keeps property taxes some of the lowest in the nation. I know Gov Brown wants to repeal that law. Good luck ever owning property in CA if he does this.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:56 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy1685 View Post
Most cities in CA are in shambles. CA is probably the most fiscally irresponsible state in the union. At least CA has prop 13 which keeps property taxes some of the lowest in the nation. I know Gov Brown wants to repeal that law. Good luck ever owning property in CA if he does this.
California Property Tax ranks somewhere between the worst 10 and the best 10.

Statewide Tax is 1% with many taxing agencies adding significant amounts... my tax rate is close to 1.6% when all the special assessments are added in and I don't have Mello-Roos.

It's kind of ironic that Brown thinks he can do something about when he tried everything to stop it the first go-round.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:18 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
- Not to mention several hurricanes that usually cause major damage every year.

Well, that's an enormous overstatement. In the 11 years that I have lived in Miami, only 2005 qualified as a year that could even come close to that statement. Major damage every year??? Oh please.

- Traffic is also very bad and the conditions of most roads are horrible. Public transportation sucks. Since the city has a huge amount of undocumented ppl, there are unlicensed drivers so that leads to even more crappy drivers.

The driving is crazy but the roads are not horrible. While it's no New York or Chicago, the public transportation in Miami is not as bad as you claim. For me, I am all good with the public bicycle program "DecoBike" for most of my transportation needs.

- Crime is a huge issue too, the city is notorious for crime.

Like most all major metros, Miami has bad areas but it has other areas that are safe and fine. 11 years running, no problems. As for the crime statistics, keep in mind that crime committed by visitors/tourists goes against the residents when it comes to crime stats/metrics.

- Can't forget about the HOT humid weather all year round. Heat could feel nice but humidity is just disgusting and makes things sticky, leads to bad hair days and just a nasty feeling.

Wow....another gross overstatement. Sure Miami is hot and humid during the Summer and the first half of the Fall but the late Fall through mid Spring is typically spectacular. While others suffer through Winter and rewarded with Summer, Miami suffers through Summer and is rewarded in Winter.

- The city can be materialistic too w/douchebags buying Porches, Lexuses, BMW's, etc, to show off; this can make the poor/average joes (majority) feel inadequate and this influences women to be materialistic golddiggers and destroys many chances for a true honest relationship.

Lots of those "douchebags" driving flashy sports cars are tourists. Don't automatically blame the locals.

- God forbid you go to live there and you can't speak Spanish. For the most part, this essentially limits your social life to elderly retirees, tourists and some immigrants who even bothered to learn some English.
I don't speak Spanish. I am neither elderly nor a tourist. My social life is just fine. Please don't suggest that immigrants don't want to learn English. That's not true either. Most immigrants I have met worked VERY hard to master English as a second language and are very hard working people.

Other comments are inserted into the body of the previous post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.