U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 06:39 AM

21,188 posts, read 30,359,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Fingers View Post
I currently live in Bethesda, MD which I like; but have always found it difficult to meet up with decent musicians within a reasonable driving distance. Now that I'm retired and have a lot more time, where do you think would be a good place for a guitar player into blues/jazz/R&B - ideally, the style that has come to be known as smooth jazz now that it has degenerated - to find like minded musicians? Not necessarily with any professional ambitions, but to have fun, and maybe even play out once in a while.

Will college towns like Boulder, Chapel Hill or Athens prove to be too young, or even not stylistically appropriate?

Would love to know what you guys think.
I would skip the college towns as musicians there tend to be more rock/progressive rock oriented or even classical in orientation. You might take a look at Nashville which will feature milder weather, much less traffic/congestion and a low cost of living. It's not all about Country-Western as the city has been attracting talent from all genres to it's recording studios and producers/labels that have set up shop there. http://blogs.tennessean.com/tunein/2...ng-jazz-scene/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 10:13 AM

56,588 posts, read 80,870,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Fingers View Post
Very good info, thanks. Upstate NY does seem to be very musically active, but.....hmmm...the taxes...the cold....I dunno...
Overall cost of living is at or below the national average and it is a 4 season climate. Winters in terms of snowfall vary even within metros as well. For instance, in the Buffalo area, Niagara County gets half the average snowfall that the Southtowns. Even taxes vary, as exemptions are available: Taxes by State: New York to Wyoming

Here's another Rochester area native: Chuck Mangione - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Official Chuck Mangione World Wide Web Site

There's this too: https://cnyjazz.org/jazz-in-the-city

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-29-2012 at 10:30 AM..

Old 12-29-2012, 08:12 PM

520 posts, read 501,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I would skip the college towns as musicians there tend to be more rock/progressive rock oriented or even classical in orientation. You might take a look at Nashville which will feature milder weather, much less traffic/congestion and a low cost of living. It's not all about Country-Western as the city has been attracting talent from all genres to it's recording studios and producers/labels that have set up shop there. They ain
Thanks so much for that link - I'll spend some time reading up on it.

I have known for a while that Nashville is not limited to country, and that several musicians have fled the LA session scene and moved to Nashville (Chuck Rainey and Larry Carlton come to mind). To tell you the truth, a lot of things about Nashville seem very attractive, except for perhaps a couple of issues - none of which is a potential deal breaker.

One is that I hear that Nashville has almost no walkable areas. That would be a total shame, as walking around a neighborhood with shops, cafes and the like is something I enjoy immensely. The other thing - and a very legitimate point - is that a relatively small town with such a heavy concentration of world class musicians may not be the place for someone like me to move to! Sort of like NY and LA (and now Nashville and maybe Austin) being the worst places for a guitar player to move to...still, maybe this is all in my head. I mean, would you want to compete with Vince Gill for a gig? I exaggerate, of course..

Another thing I've heard is that Nashville embodies the highly conservative nature of the South. While I have nothing against conservatives per se, I'm not one, so I worry about being a fish out of water. Then, on the other hand, that many musicians and creative people have got to lend an atmosphere of intellectual openness.....I would think.

Thanks again, and I'll read through the link.

Last edited by Captain_Fingers; 12-29-2012 at 08:18 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-29-2012, 08:13 PM

520 posts, read 501,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Overall cost of living is at or below the national average and it is a 4 season climate. Winters in terms of snowfall vary even within metros as well. For instance, in the Buffalo area, Niagara County gets half the average snowfall that the Southtowns. Even taxes vary, as exemptions are available: Taxes by State: New York to Wyoming

Here's another Rochester area native: Chuck Mangione - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Official Chuck Mangione World Wide Web Site

There's this too: https://cnyjazz.org/jazz-in-the-city
Thanks again! Who can forget Chuck? And thanks for that tax link...very useful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or