Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 08:49 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,255,306 times

Advertisements

North Collinwood, Cleveland

Welcome to Collinwood

Arts Collinwood
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 09:19 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,793,432 times
Northeast Minneapolis has been stuck on pre-gentrification for 20 plus years, so have large swathes of the south side. It took 30 years for Uptown to gentrify and it is still not all that expensive. Minneapolis is pretty much a status quo city, the pace of gentrification is glacial.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:42 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,842,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
Northeast Minneapolis has been stuck on pre-gentrification for 20 plus years, so have large swathes of the south side. It took 30 years for Uptown to gentrify and it is still not all that expensive. Minneapolis is pretty much a status quo city, the pace of gentrification is glacial.
From one perspective that's kind of nice, it gives people options that don't exist in cities where neighborhoods gentrify faster. It seems that in the Northeast and California the pace of gentrification is quicker, it seems relentless in New York City.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:57 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,634,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
West Kensington in Philly (also would add Francisville and Brewerytown in N Philly) and maybe Point Breeze and Grays Ferry in S Philly

FWIW to me Fishtown is very much still in transition as well

http://travel.nytimes.com/2008/01/13...yout.html?_r=0
Philadelphia

Point Breeze, Brewerytown, Francisville and Fishtown are all currently being gentrified already. The thing with Fishtown is it is a lot of industrial land, ESPECIALLY on the waterfront.

Areas that are seeing per-gentrification I would say are:

South Philadelphia
Gray's Ferry
Dickinson Narrows

West Philadelphia
Dunlap
Haverford
West Powelton

Lower North Philadelphia
West Kensington
Sharswood
West Poplar
West and South sections of Hartranft
East and South sections of North Central

Northwest Philadelphia
Germantown

Old 12-27-2012, 12:22 AM

2,330 posts, read 3,793,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlite View Post
From one perspective that's kind of nice, it gives people options that don't exist in cities where neighborhoods gentrify faster. It seems that in the Northeast and California the pace of gentrification is quicker, it seems relentless in New York City.
One thing it does is it allows artists, musicians and bohemian types to live in cheap neighborhoods where they are not seen as interlopers because they have been part of the fabric of those neighborhoods for decades.

I think the stability of the city is driven by the fact that the "bad" parts of Minneapolis aren't really that bad and they aren't really very much of the city. As a result most of the city is relatively cheap and safe, people are less willing to pay a premium to live in a gentrified area.

I pay $750 a month for an apartment near Uptown because it is really walkable and right next to the lakes but if they raised my rent I would leave because I can find the same apartment in other nice enough and interesting neighborhoods for $650. I think a lot of people here have that mentality, it helps keep prices in check.

Last edited by Drewcifer; 12-27-2012 at 12:43 AM..

Old 12-27-2012, 08:21 AM

10,086 posts, read 9,877,498 times
East Baltimore from North avenue south.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:14 PM

24 posts, read 49,661 times
Wow! Some great options... thanks.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:42 PM

605 posts, read 1,161,025 times
Boston
In Boston the upper part of Roxbury is in pre-gentrification/gentrification mode around the Dudley Square/Dudley Street neighborhood. Even if there aren't white people moving in, which is why most people probably wouldn't think of it as gentrifying, it is becoming very artsy, sustainable, and overall a really cool place.

Roslindale isn't exactly a neighborhood that I would say would qualify to be gentrifiable in the sense of some other neighborhoods, but it is changing and a lot of artists are moving there. The Seaport is still holding strong as the current big gentrified neighb, but Roslindale looks like it will be next.

JP and Southie are in gentifying mode. Conversely, I'd say the South End has gone into some sort of post-gentrification thing.

Lowell
Of all the Massachusetts satellite cities (and Rhode Island ones), Lowell is probably the most into its pre-gentrifying stage. I wouldn't say it's the "hip" place to be right now, but downtown is starting to come along and I think it's going to be the first (and perhaps only except for New Bedford) satellite city to gentrify and become artsy and a bit more of a cultural nexus.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:03 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,842,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BitofEndearment View Post
Boston
In Boston the upper part of Roxbury is in pre-gentrification/gentrification mode around the Dudley Square/Dudley Street neighborhood. Even if there aren't white people moving in, which is why most people probably wouldn't think of it as gentrifying, it is becoming very artsy, sustainable, and overall a really cool place. .
Most commonly, the gentrifiers of a neighborhood are white, but not always. Parts of Harlem in New York and Bronzeville in Chicago and probably other places are experiencing gentrification led by black people. Gentrification often involves race, but at root it's about class.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:08 PM

181 posts, read 318,315 times
To the OP: I'd say OAKLAND, CA is the quintessential example of a city filled with not just one, but several of the neighborhoods you described.

Its unique position in the center of the Bay Area (20 minutes east of San Francisco and 45 minutes north of San Jose) means that artists, hipsters and the like have made this their capital. SF is now almost exclusively upper-middle class, and San Jose (and its surrounding areas) are where most of the nicely paid Silicon Valley employees live. Because SF is too expensive, and San Jose generally lacks that urban, gritty history that most artists & hipsters seem to view as 'cool & hip', Oakland has been the perfect blend of urban grit, culture, and affordability that this class of folks have enjoyed gentrifying.

West Oakland, which at one point was 85% Black, now seems to be half Black, a quarter hipster/artist, and a quarter 'other'. There are other areas, particularly the western half of North Oakland, that are seeing an influx of hipsters, musicians, and UC Berkeley students who now visibly travel via bike up and down Martin Luther King Jr.Way (a major boulevard in the city that, up until the mid-2000s, used to be lined with African-American youngsters).

Another Oakland neighborhood that may not be as "pre-gentrification", but is also not as gentrified as it will be, is "Uptown" Oakland. Most people who grew up in Oakland remember when "The Uptown" (as new residents like to call it) didn't really exist. Back in the day, it was mostly Black, and was just another section of Downtown Oakland that was largely abandoned, blighted, and was a hotspot for drugs and prostitution. When they remodeled and reopened the Fox Theater, that was when things started to change.

I'm sure within 10 years, all of Oakland North and Northwest of Downtown will be largely White. It's inevitable; West Oakland, which is really the gateway for folks traveling in and out of the Eastern Bay Area, is one BART stop and one freeway exit away from San Francisco, while North Oakland is bordered by Downtown on one side,(UC) Berkeley on another side, and the increasingly glamorous hotspot that is now Emeryville on the other. I don't necessarily think there's anything wrong with a Whiter population, but there is something wrong with so many people, most often families of color, being displaced as a result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.