U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 03:18 PM

6,420 posts, read 10,876,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DginnWonder View Post
How did I lose credibility with that? Memphis, TN does not hold a candle to LA, nor does DC to somewhere like Atlanta. These cities obviously have culture and influence, but people don't walk around saying, "LA has nothing to offer! Now Memphis, now THAT'S a star city!"

They are second-tier, at least to me.
I'll have to disagree with DC...to a point, at least. Perhaps it's not a cultural capital in what we would traditionally think (it has art, entertainment, music...but seemingly more on a national/museum scale than as a creative center)...but DC does shape this country's political culture. Very different from, say, Atlanta...but nonetheless important and influential (either positive or negative influence...depending on one's perspective).

Memphis as well as a host of other more mid sized cities are more regional cultural centers. They may (or may have) influence(d) American culture, but generally on a smaller scale, or in one or two very particular areas (such as music or food, in Memphis' case).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 04:16 PM

6,633 posts, read 8,340,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
I'll have to disagree with DC...to a point, at least. Perhaps it's not a cultural capital in what we would traditionally think (it has art, entertainment, music...but seemingly more on a national/museum scale than as a creative center)...but DC does shape this country's political culture. Very different from, say, Atlanta...but nonetheless important and influential (either positive or negative influence...depending on one's perspective).

Memphis as well as a host of other more mid sized cities are more regional cultural centers. They may (or may have) influence(d) American culture, but generally on a smaller scale, or in one or two very particular areas (such as music or food, in Memphis' case).
If we're basing this on museums, arts, theater, performing arts, & such then Houston could definitely make the case over Atlanta. If we're speaking of culture as the best all around embodiment of something (Latin America, the Northeast, the South, the West, & so on) then yeahhh Atlanta has it in over Houston or Dallas.

Not sure I get the point of this thread though, nor the reasoning behind majority of this.

Also Washington DC (and Chicago) using those same standards: museums, arts, theater, & so in is easily top 5 in the United States while Miami is not.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:18 PM

29,949 posts, read 27,441,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
If we're basing this on museums, arts, theater, performing arts, & such then Houston could definitely make the case over Atlanta. If we're speaking of culture as the best all around embodiment of something (Latin America, the Northeast, the South, the West, & so on) then yeahhh Atlanta has it in over Houston or Dallas.

Not sure I get the point of this thread though, nor the reasoning behind majority of this.

Also Washington DC (and Chicago) using those same standards: museums, arts, theater, & so in is easily top 5 in the United States while Miami is not.
That's how I tend to think of it, hence my earlier mention of NOLA. I mean any place can build a bunch of cultural facilities, but having a pronounced influence on certain art forms, musical expressions, entertainment, literature, cuisine, etc. is something that happens organically over time and can't be replicated.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post

Yeah, my point with DC was that it provides a high level of cultural amenities, but outside of politics, I don't see it having the sort of regional to national cultural influence that most of the other cities we are mentioning have.

Also, I think regional capitals might be more appropriate discussion than cultural capitals. There are a number of major cultural centers...some transcend regions, but I think the only two you're going to get more or less universal agreement on are New York and LA. They are in their own class.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:50 PM

5,710 posts, read 8,775,783 times
My reaction to the title is we are looking for cities that are most influential in the culture of their state. Some are obvious: Indy, NO, B'ham, ATL, Denver, Little rock, Charleston SC and WV. Some of the bigger cities - Chicago and NYC, don't really reflect the culture of the rest of the state. Then there's PA which has 2 cultural capitols. TN has 3 cultural capitols to reflect the 3 distinct cultures that influence the state.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:41 PM

7,749 posts, read 6,160,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
Are we talking historic cultural capitals that were instrumental in forming the character of our country? Then it would be Philadelphia, Boston, New York, Tidewater Virginia.

Current cultural capitals would be very different (except for NYC) and include wherever the corporate offices of Google, Apple, Microsoft and Facebook are located.

I'm confused.
Baltimore too!

Old 12-28-2012, 07:46 AM

1,565 posts, read 2,572,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Baltimore too!
Yes. Sorry for that oversight.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:48 AM

1,565 posts, read 2,572,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
My reaction to the title is we are looking for cities that are most influential in the culture of their state. Some are obvious: Indy, NO, B'ham, ATL, Denver, Little rock, Charleston SC and WV. Some of the bigger cities - Chicago and NYC, don't really reflect the culture of the rest of the state. Then there's PA which has 2 cultural capitols. TN has 3 cultural capitols to reflect the 3 distinct cultures that influence the state.
What are the 3 distinct cultures of Tennessee? I'm assuming one of them would be Appalachian.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
What are the 3 distinct cultures of Tennessee? I'm assuming one of them would be Appalachian.
East, Middle, and West Tennessee.

To oversimplify it:
East = mountains and valley (Knoxville, Chattanooga)
Middle = rolling hills and plateau (Nashville)
West = gulf coastal plain (Memphis)

Eastern would definitely be (mostly) Appalachian culture.
West is more of an agrarian culture (outside of Memphis).
Middle is...kind of hard to define. A blend of the two, I suppose.

Tennessee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-28-2012, 09:56 AM

13,403 posts, read 21,222,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DginnWonder View Post
That's my point. The Texan cities are economically powerful, but with the exception of Houston, you really don't hear the cities in current music tunes (for example) as a moniker for pride and cultural sway. Texan cities give of a very insular feel. Almost like they hold cultural sway, but only within the state. Atl, on the other hand, is quite culturally popular in America.
I have to assume youre talking about rap in that first sentence.

But I agree, Atlanta definately is viewed as more culturally popular (in a good way) than any Texas city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or