U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 02:36 PM

8,931 posts, read 11,799,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatterbot View Post
I've been living in Southern California for the last 20 years, and I'm ready to call it a day. I feel increasingly out of tune with the "nanny state" that's been put in place here, and I think I could live more comfortably in a red state where my libertarian leanings would be more reflective of the majority.

But I've been cursed ...I'm irredeemably spoiled by the weather. I love being able to enjoy the outdoors 11.5 months out of the year. I've looked hard at the South and Midwest, but the humid summers and/or freezing winters are turn off. Colorado looked very promising, but with the recent election result it seems like it's just a few years away from turning into California-lite. I also have small kids, and being able to place them in good schools is a priority.

I've been haunting City-Data forums for last 6 months or so and I'm starting to believe that what I'm looking for just doesn't exist. Am I right? I understand that there are almost no places with as good a climate as SoCal, but I was hoping for...10 months, maybe? There is no red state city with good weather and good schools? Hard to believe, but seems to be true.
How large does the city have to be? Asheville, NC is a small city located in a red state, while being rather progressive itself. Summers are mostly temperate, and while winters can be cold, they're shorter and not as harsh as much of the Midwest. I can't speak on the schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 07:42 PM

704 posts, read 1,502,508 times
Quote:
I've been living in Southern California for the last 20 years, and I'm ready to call it a day. I feel increasingly out of tune with the "nanny state" that's been put in place here, and I think I could live more comfortably in a red state where my libertarian leanings would be more reflective of the majority.

But I've been cursed ...I'm irredeemably spoiled by the weather. I love being able to enjoy the outdoors 11.5 months out of the year. I've looked hard at the South and Midwest, but the humid summers and/or freezing winters are turn off. Colorado looked very promising, but with the recent election result it seems like it's just a few years away from turning into California-lite. I also have small kids, and being able to place them in good schools is a priority.

I've been haunting City-Data forums for last 6 months or so and I'm starting to believe that what I'm looking for just doesn't exist. Am I right? I understand that there are almost no places with as good a climate as SoCal, but I was hoping for...10 months, maybe? There is no red state city with good weather and good schools? Hard to believe, but seems to be true.
Colorado is definitely not California-lite. It is far, far more conservative, even if the president was narrowly re-elected in Colorado.

A lot of right-leaning Californians have moved to Colorado over the past 20-years, and I'd imagine you'd probably like it just as much as they seem to.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:23 PM

22 posts, read 24,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
Colorado is definitely not California-lite. It is far, far more conservative, even if the president was narrowly re-elected in Colorado.

A lot of right-leaning Californians have moved to Colorado over the past 20-years, and I'd imagine you'd probably like it just as much as they seem to.
I was actually less concerned with the Presidential election results than the total domination of the statehouse by the Democratic party...this may've been a fluke, driven by popular initiatives on the ballot and some bad decisions by Republican party in CO, but it definitely made me think twice. What's your take on it?

Old 12-30-2012, 12:59 AM

7,820 posts, read 12,326,456 times
You might consider Savannah or Charleston, or maybe some of the North Carolina cities. The heat and humidity are not as bad as in Florida or Louisiana. Colorado is beautiful but the winters are very cold, and illegal immigration is a major problem there that is not being addressed, and they recently legzlied marijuana and voted for Obama there.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:32 AM

5,691 posts, read 8,758,435 times
Nairobi! - the last place anyone who is culturally or fiscally conservative and fleeing the California culture needs to go is Asheville. It's humid there as well, though not quite as bad as lower lying cities.

If you have money - Highlands, Blowing Rock and Linville NC are high income, high elevation towns to investigate.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:38 AM

3,669 posts, read 8,841,708 times
What about Atlanta? It's relatively less humid than the other Southern cities due to its inland location and higher elevation. Personally, I think Atlanta has the best climate in the US if not the world.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:05 PM

704 posts, read 1,502,508 times
Quote:
I was actually less concerned with the Presidential election results than the total domination of the statehouse by the Democratic party...this may've been a fluke, driven by popular initiatives on the ballot and some bad decisions by Republican party in CO, but it definitely made me think twice. What's your take on it?
It's a long story, but legislative lines were redrawn in 2011 and a supposedly independent member of the redistricting commission sided with Democrats. All of that resulted in a map very favorable in 2012 to Democrats. It was sort of like the congressional boundaries in Arizona--now Arizona Democrats have an advantage in their congressional delegation, only because of the redistricting map. It's going to be a brutal two years here in Colorado with Democrats in control, but there are a couple of bright points you ought to consider. First, the governor is basically a libertarian, even though he's a Democrat. He's likely to put an end to anything really crazy, if only because of the fact that his job is on the line in two years. Second, that same redistricting map is actually great for Republicans in 2014. The State Senate is VERY likely to flip to the GOP in 2014, even if it's not a great GOP year (which, of course, it probably will be). This isn't Minnesota or Illinois. Democrats have the majority, but they are not the majority of the population. IF they govern like this is Illinois, then they'll have an epic loss in 2014.

So it might be an interesting two years, but the GOP will reassert itself in 2014 no matter what happens. It's in the Democrats' political interest to play it close to the middle and do reasonably well again in 2014 (even though they'll still lose the Senate). But if they get really crazy, it'll be bad for the state, but the GOP will dominate in the next election.

Anyway, regarding Colorado more generally, it's a genuinely "purple" state. Along with Virginia, and maybe Florida, it really is a microcosm of the country. Colorado's Republican Party is one of the most conservative you'll find, and the Democrats are quite liberal but they nominate relative moderates while Republicans nominate candidates as conservative as we are. That makes elections here battles between very conservative Republicans and sort of center-left/libertarian-ish Democrats--and neither candidate usually gets more than 50% of the vote. So you've got a state that is basically divided between conservatives and libertarians on the one hand, and moderates and liberals on the other. Politically, it's basically 50/50. Ideologically, however, Colorado is probably a bit more conservative than anything else, although that conservatism is sometimes very socially conservative and other times more libertarian. I think it's true that Democrats are in much stronger shape here than even ten years ago. But ideologically it hasn't changed much at all.

I thought it was pretty interesting that, despite a big court-annointed Democrat-favoring redistricting map, the GOP still held onto it's congressional edge here in Colorado in November.

I'm pretty close to the political scene in Colorado, and I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about the state in a message.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:40 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,091,270 times
If you want low humidity and want to look in Texas you might also check out El Paso

The Greater Chamber of Commerce

El Paso Convention and Visitors Bureau | El Paso, Texas

Old 01-01-2013, 02:37 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,227,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
There's Indiana if you want a conservative red state. Aside from Texas indiana is the largest red state in the country not in the south.
Texas is in the south. I really hope you didn't just say that it wasn't. As far as the largest red state not in the south, Missouri could compete in that role, although it remains to be seen whether or not Missouri will continue to swing like it has historically.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:46 PM

29,918 posts, read 27,355,630 times
Would a red city in a swing state do? If so, check out Jacksonville, FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or