Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 09:04 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlite View Post
Top schools and lowest taxes don't necessarily seem they would occur together a lot.
Education spending/taxes don't necessarily relate to performance. But it might mean nicer newer crap in the classroom to play with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 02:22 AM

890 posts, read 2,278,599 times
Utah and Arizona immediately came to mind.

Arizona in general is one of the worst states when it comes to education, but there are still plenty of great public school districts around the Phoenix area, mostly on the eastern side of the metro area. In general, Chandler, Gilbert, and Scottsdale schools are highly regarded. Of course there are exceptions even in those cities (South Scottsdale is on par with Tempe, so not so great). Like another poster mentioned, you will not be wearing a shirt and shorts all year, but even so prime time to hike and be outside is during the "colder" months of winter (calling it cold almost sounds like a joke!). There is probably two-three months where the oppressive heat might prevent you from doing more active things outdoors, but just use it as an excuse to hit the pool/river/lakes/waterparks or take a trip up north .

I can't help you much with insight on Utah. Sounds like you wouldn't enjoy SLC if you have an aversion to freezing winters. The southern part has a similar climate to Phoenix just cooler, however there isn't a major city there. St. George is growing rapidly but I'm not sure if it is too small a city for you or how the schools are. Great outdoor access to mountains and Zion is right next door. I too would be concerned about the Mormon culture but overall I have heard that Mormons in general are pretty accepting of others .

Old 12-28-2012, 07:21 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlite View Post
Top schools and lowest taxes don't necessarily seem they would occur together a lot.
That's an old stereotype. Arkansas, Georgia, Florida, West Virginia, Texas, Kentucky, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee and Louisiana are doing fairly well, all above the national average.

Education Week: Quality Counts 2012 - State Report Cards

Old 12-28-2012, 07:33 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,620,530 times
This libertarian island would be perfect for you. It has not been built and probably never will be built though.

Silicon Valley billionaire funding creation of artificial libertarian islands | The Lookout - Yahoo! News

Old 12-28-2012, 08:17 PM

9,522 posts, read 16,503,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Nancy View Post
Phoenix isn't a "hot city" all year long. 4 months, winters are cool, nights can be high 30's/40's in Dec.-Feb. You wear a coat and pants those months for sure. Summers are from late May-mid October, 100-110, but even 114's, weeks on end in August are typical now. Heat island effect isn't gonna get better as more people movethere.

i agree about Phoenix not being as warm in winter as one would think. Its nice and comfortable in the afternoon some days, and maybe late am and thats it. It's been in the 30's and 40's overnight for a number of weeks now. Mornings can be downright cold. Especially if you have to spend times outdoors. Add in some of that cold wind that can come up and its cold.

My house back east was never 60 inside when its 60 outside. It is here in Arizona. So you have to add in the difference in housing here, and how comfortable you will be. I'm guessing if one has an older house even one built in the 80's. They will notice the house doesn't stay all that warm. I didn't plan on using heat here. Now I'm finding unless you want to live in 50's and 60's inside your house. Then you will use some heat.

I also think cold begins to feel colder here because of the extreme of temperature. The hot months are really something to experience, and then bang they stop and it cools down fast.

it is sunny though most every day, so that makes it nice outside by around noontime.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:10 PM

23 posts, read 37,124 times
I'm really less concerned with the cold than heat/humidity. Anything that averages above 25 or so in the wintertime would be fine by me.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:08 AM

42 posts, read 75,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Millennium View Post
It's a red state for sure. The last presidential election might say otherwise (that's the transplants to Las Vegas area) but the core and heart of Nevada is very red. It's a true wild west, live and let live state.

I don't care much about politics when moving and don't think others should emphasize it much either. But Nevada definitely fits your criteria

And to your point about Reno not having good schools. You might be pleasantly surprised by a couple or few of their public High Schools. Galena High in the foothills near Mt. Rose Highway comes to mind. Good luck with your search.
does anyone know if there is any way to peacefully stop liberals from moving into such states (no offense if you're a liberal.)

I just wish there was plenty of red beyond the cultural south... (a region I'm not really interested in). I know there's the plains, and upper mountain states but I don't think that a state with significant population should have to mean that its liberal. (so by the time Utah's population catches up to Colorado's , Arizona's, etc it may already be a blue leaning state).

Old 12-29-2012, 10:58 AM

9,522 posts, read 16,503,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by time2play View Post
does anyone know if there is any way to peacefully stop liberals from moving into such states (no offense if you're a liberal.)

I just wish there was plenty of red beyond the cultural south... (a region I'm not really interested in). I know there's the plains, and upper mountain states but I don't think that a state with significant population should have to mean that its liberal. (so by the time Utah's population catches up to Colorado's , Arizona's, etc it may already be a blue leaning state).

Well if red states or those that lean in that direction would secede from the USA. Then I can guarantee that liberal type people, would have no desire to move into their territory. Therefore the Red states that formed their owned union. Would be a more practical and comfortable environment, for the non liberal person. Since they would be surrounded by other likeminded citizens, and away from the dreaded liberal person. Basically it would solve many problems, because life in the USA as it is now. Is not working at all. I'm surprised these 50 states have gotten this far together, without at least one divorce. I just don't see how all these red states would support themselves though. Evidently some must feel they could, because there have been thousands in those states signing petitions to do so.

You can't make America as you want it to be. You will just be beating yourself up, trying to find your place in it. So you end up having to take the good and the bad with a place. Sometimes the bad is just not worth the bother though, and your forced to settle for something else.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:55 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,733,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatterbot View Post
I'm really less concerned with the cold than heat/humidity. Anything that averages above 25 or so in the wintertime would be fine by me.
How about eastern Washington or Oregon? No idea what the schools are like there, though.

Old 12-29-2012, 02:00 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,510,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by time2play View Post

There's Indiana if you want a conservative red state. Aside from Texas indiana is the largest red state in the country not in the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.