U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2012, 12:34 PM

18 posts, read 22,850 times

Advertisements

Hello there guys, my name's Michael, and I've taken part in the DV Lottery this year for the year 2014.
I still don't know if I got in or not (results are out in May), but I think it would be a good idea to give a small update on this topic:
Moving from Ireland to America

I ended up doing business, not Software, it's a 3 year Bachelor's Degree.

Location preferences have changed a little bit:
- Quiet Place, but with nightlife
- Not working from home
- Close to groceries
- Clean place
- I'll most likely end up in sales, so any locations where car salesmen would be wanted more than anywhere else? (I speak English, Polish and Spanish)

Rent is fine anywhere up to $900 for a studio.

If I do get in in 2014, I'll have some college coursework done, i.e. 2 out of 3 years. Would it be possible to do some part-time studies to obtain the degree, or will I have to start over? Is education very expensive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 04:48 PM

891 posts, read 1,093,961 times
Regardless of where in the US you move to, you will probably not want to go to college your first year here since at the state schools, you usually can only pay the in-state rate (which is much lower) if you have lived in that state for a year. Basically, wherever you decide to transfer to, they will look at the course description guide of the place you are transferring from and give you credit for the equivalent classes. One thing that may want you to stay in Ireland the extra year and finish up is that the American system usually requires taking a lot more classes that don't pertain to your major.

Old 12-28-2012, 03:46 PM

21,187 posts, read 30,351,954 times
[quote=sobanek;27510945]
Location preferences have changed a little bit:
- Quiet Place, but with nightlife
- Not working from home
- Close to groceries
- Clean place
- I'll most likely end up in sales, so any locations where car salesmen would be wanted more than anywhere else? (I speak English, Polish and Spanish)

Rent is fine anywhere up to $900 for a studio.]Quote

Clean, somewhat quiet metro areas with a decent amount of nightlife and likely some sophistication necessary for an easier transition and some use of your language skills....I'd recommend checking out Denver or Minneapolis/St Paul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or