U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 07:05 AM

7,242 posts, read 6,464,296 times

Advertisements

stalker is just another name for a guy women don't find attractive or ever plan to put on that 'list'... though there are actually people out there who obsess over another person which I just find strange... there are 6 billion people on the planet. If one is not interested, why would you stalk them? Makes no sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 08:01 AM

3 posts, read 1,986 times
I think it is pretty sad that all in all the states are pretty safe but people are so scared as if it was a 3rd world country

Old 12-28-2012, 09:02 AM

94 posts, read 191,429 times
It's not safe in all areas, and you wont' find people being so paranoid in all areas. (And I don't think it's a liberal vs. conservative thing. NYC is about as liberal as you can get, but people are still nervous about someone walking behind them - and it's a mostly safe city. Not nervous about ANYONE walking about them - just if someone seems to be following too close or for too long.) As I said before, I'd be much less likely to be nervous in my small hometown (which is conservative, btw) than in NYC. It's all about where you are and whether you feel the need to be on your guard.

But, like I said, I don't think that has much to do with the casual use of "stalker" today.

Old 12-28-2012, 02:59 PM

2,165 posts, read 4,740,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier77 View Post
I noticed (on tv shows, etc, I havent been to the USA) the term stalker is used in many situations where somebody is just talking to somebody,or just showing interest in another person.

For example in the show Jersey Shore, those guidos and guidettes seem obessed with the term stalker, and they use the word every 5 minutes. In a chapter, Nicole aka Snooki, called up a guy she had hooked up with a few nights earlier .She said something like " hello it's me,Nicole...donīt think I am a stalker or something, but I was wondering if you can go out tonight".

Maybe that was supposed to be a joke, and I failed to grasp it, but they all seem to take the word "stalker" way too seriously, and the more stalker to got, the more cool you are, and only losers donīt have stalkers. (Mike the Situation and Pauly are particularly fond of stalker-talk)

Language adops the social mindset of the people who use it, so I wonder if real America is obsessed by stalkers, and if that keeps people from meeting new friends, or keeps social interaction at a minimum level.

I mean, if you fear being deemed a "stalker" just because you ask somebody out, I wonder if more and more people just donīt ask anymore, and they end up alone?
I recommend you stop watching Jersey Shore to get an idea of how young Americans act in social settings. They are a terrible representation of how normal younger Americans act. The tiny bit I've seen of the show caused me to lose brain cells.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or