U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 10:28 AM

10,167 posts, read 17,119,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberryQuartz View Post
I mentioned on another thread that--despite being from California--I guess I speak in a Southern accent. Or at least that's what everyone tells me! So I've always been interested in these accents.

Anyone have any favorites? By state, region, or even by person?

Celebrity-wise, two that I love listening to are Lauren Alaina (from Georgia) and Polly Lou Livingston (from Texas).
Interesting thread topic! And just to mention, it is noteworthy that you (correctly) allude to the fact that there is not one single "Southern accent" (in spite of Hollywood myth) but rather, many sub-dialects that collectively make up what is properly known as "Southern American English" (SAE). Which, roughly speaking, stretches across the southeastern and south-central parts of the country; generally meaning the Old Confederate States and deep southern portions of the "Border States".

I'd have to think a bit on which is my "favorite", but if I may be permitted to do so without coming across as "bragging", I do believe that my native state of Texas has the most "variety" within it and, in some ways, is the "Southern accent" in mircocosm.

That is to say, some years back an extensive study was done on "Texas Talk". A conclusion was that, broadly speaking (no pun intended), a "Texas accent" was "a Southern accent with a twist."

BTW -- here is the link if anyone wants to read it:

Do You Speak American . Sea to Shining Sea . American Varieties . Texan . Drawl | PBS

Anyway, as the professor says, what makes "Texas accents" stand apart somewhat is that unique blend of both Deep and Upper South. Of course, the semi-twins are more pronounced (again, I swear, no pun intended! LOL), in some parts of the state than others. Confirmed by settlement patterns, the classic "Plantation South" accent is more readily apparent in East Texas, whereas that "Mountain South twang" is very evident in West Texas.

So to conclude? Well, there is that "broad middle" between the two parents! Texans were always the outlaw of the Dixie family, anyway. And it only stands to reason our southeastern cousins would deny any responsiblity for our existence.

Like some wag from Georgia once said (in reply to a northerner on some related topic) something like "We in the Deep South sent our insane and embarrassing kin to Texas, where did you yankees send y'alls?"

As a fourth generation Texan of Deep South ancestry, I can't get too offended, as the truth is wrapped up in the pudding. LOL

Whatever, I have rambled enough. Again, great thread topic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 10:50 AM

42 posts, read 57,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Interesting thread topic! And just to mention, it is noteworthy that you (correctly) allude to the fact that there is not one single "Southern accent" (in spite of Hollywood myth) but rather, many sub-dialects that collectively make up what is properly known as "Southern American English" (SAE). Which, roughly speaking, stretches across the southeastern and south-central parts of the country; generally meaning the Old Confederate States and deep southern portions of the "Border States".
Thank you, TexasReb! Glad you're enjoying the thread, and continue to ramble all you want! I sure enjoy it.

Interesting point about the Texas accent! It's definitely up there in my favorites (possibly tied with Georgia and Tennessee, but maybe a hair above those).

Have you ever watched "Adventure Time"? The character Tree Trunks is played by Texan actress Polly Lou Livingston, and her voice is addictive to listen to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdzNHrAzUwY

Old 12-30-2012, 11:35 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,649,659 times
I was reading the TV show True blood and The Walking Dead have strong southern accent.

The reason some people in north east don't like the southern accent they say people in south talk too slow and also draw the words out so to them it sound like it is for ever when some one speaks.example I have not see you in looong tiiime. with O in long and the I in time drawn out.

Other reason people don't like the south is most them go church every week and god is really part of there life.

All these people here have southern accent.

Accent Tag (Texas) - YouTube

Accent Tag- Texas - YouTube

Accent Tag -- South Carolina Y'all! - YouTube

South Carolina/ Atlanta Ga accent - YouTube

Old 12-30-2012, 02:44 PM

15,031 posts, read 31,400,710 times
I'm a big Walking Dead fan, but I really don't notice Southern accents on that show.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:18 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,569,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I'm a big Walking Dead fan, but I really don't notice Southern accents on that show.
Rick, Shane (may he rest in peace) and Hershel all have southern accents in The Walking Dead.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:12 PM

15,031 posts, read 31,400,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
Rick, Shane (may he rest in peace) and Hershel all have southern accents in The Walking Dead.
Shane had a fake one, and Rick sounds neutral to me. Hershel (Scott Wilson) is a native Southerner so his is probably genuine.

I forget Rick's real name, but he's actually an Englishman.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:05 PM

5,230 posts, read 3,639,125 times
I like all Southern accents. I can't stand "fast talkers". When I run into one, I slow down even more.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:31 PM

23 posts, read 59,205 times
I like all Southern accents too. Don't even mind the "white trash" ones. They still sound cool to listen to. IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberryQuartz View Post
Thanks for the videos, guys! Keep 'em coming.

Also, how about this woman (the blonde)? Her accent is fake, of course, seeing as she's voiced by Nasim Pedrad of SNL. But I've been trying to figure out if Nasim was trying to sound like any particular dialect or not. What do you guys think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNPNuiMlp0Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c1I0Sz4Nks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOz-ugIHhSs
I'm guessing Tennessee? Sounds like some people I met there. But I've only been there once so I could be FAR off the mark.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:52 PM

8,931 posts, read 11,807,303 times
The accents on True Blood are horrible.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:20 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,649,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
The accents on True Blood are horrible.
Can you elaborate ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.