U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 12:41 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,795,894 times

Advertisements

I grew up in the Bristol VA/TN area. Assuming you don't leave Appalachia...VA/TN/NC are very similar with exception to Asheville which all my friends call Hippy-Hell. If I may, I would suggest living in the Tri-Cities area, Knoxville, or Lynchburg. These areas are all very southern, very conservative, and very religious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 01:10 PM

5,694 posts, read 8,762,354 times
CNCR - Knoxville is hardly hippie free, it just seems that way after Asheville. Admittedly hipsters way outnumber hippies . There are plenty of smaller towns for the OP to choose from. I'd just recommend he stay out of Johnson City, Knoxville and Chattanooga except for occasional shopping and medical specialsists.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:09 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,597,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
CNCR - Knoxville is hardly hippie free, it just seems that way after Asheville. Admittedly hipsters way outnumber hippies . There are plenty of smaller towns for the OP to choose from. I'd just recommend he stay out of Johnson City, Knoxville and Chattanooga except for occasional shopping and medical specialsists.
haha yea, thats what i meant. It's not as hippie as Asheville.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:59 PM

1,446 posts, read 2,289,836 times
Large parts of any of those states should be fine for you. You should probably stay away from Northern Virginia which is more expensive, more urban, and more liberal. As others have mentioned Asheville is very liberal and has a lot of hippie type folks.

As the cities you consider get larger there will be more facilities such as hospitals, etc, but they will probably also get more liberal. Depending on the size place you want and whether you prefer mountains or closer to the coast, I think spots like Lynchburg, Roanoke, Greensboro, Knoxville, Chattanooga, Greenville, or Columbia would merit consideration...and tons of smaller cities as well.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:20 PM

863 posts, read 1,065,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry W. View Post
I am really interested in Eastern Tennessee but I am also considering North Carolina and Virginia as well. I am a very strong Christian I'm old school on that, My wife and I are Penticostal and we are very Socially conservative we do not drink either gave up on that years ago I do like to fish and love the outdoors we are looking for a town that is Socially Conservative with access to good hospitals,churches and good fishing I am open to all ideas I am retired but would like to work a part time job. Of those 3 states I mention where would be the most affordable state to live and where would I get the most for my dollar?
There are differences between and within the states mentioned. TN has low taxes. NC taxes are high. Western NC and Eastern TN are more alike than dissimilar. Don't rule out KY or West Virginia. Or for that matter, Mississippi, or Arkansas. TN has more lakes than you would be able to visit. Suggest you search the internet, or take a trip to your local Barnes & Noble or library and check out books on the best places to retire. That's what I did and it worked out for me.

Good Luck

Old 01-29-2013, 03:47 PM

607 posts, read 1,093,103 times
Pentecostal and socially conservative? Most places in the three states would be great. NoVA is pretty liberal and more urbanized, though, so you might not agree with that region. The Triangle in NC is like a weaker version of NoVA, but I wouldn't rule out that place.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:33 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,795,894 times
I agree with DavidJ.....If you're in Virginia, NC, or East Tennessee you will be pretty comfortable as a pentecostal, socially conservative person but stay away from NOVA, The Triad, and maybe Hampton Roads a bit too.

You would like West Virginia and Eastern KY as well.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:19 PM

8,931 posts, read 11,804,913 times
I personally find SW Virginia and western North Carolina to be nicer than East Tennessee.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:37 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 21 days ago)

10,501 posts, read 14,325,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I personally find SW Virginia and western North Carolina to be nicer than East Tennessee.
How so? I don't find them to be that much different, except Asheville of course.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:57 PM

6,973 posts, read 12,490,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville1 View Post
There are differences between and within the states mentioned. TN has low taxes. NC taxes are high. Western NC and Eastern TN are more alike than dissimilar. Don't rule out KY or West Virginia. Or for that matter, Mississippi, or Arkansas. TN has more lakes than you would be able to visit. Suggest you search the internet, or take a trip to your local Barnes & Noble or library and check out books on the best places to retire. That's what I did and it worked out for me.

Good Luck

If taxes are considered low in Tennessee. Then why is the sales tax the highest in the USA. Is sales tax not included in peoples budget and COL in that state? Or don't they buy much of anything for it to matter. I'm guessing the high sales tax bothers many people, on fixed incomes in Tenn. So for them Tenn is probably not a low tax state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or