Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2013, 02:32 PM

15 posts, read 29,847 times

Advertisements

A little about myself:

21 y/o trucking dispatcher.

Conservative in regards to the Federal Government. Believe in empowering states and especially local communities to paint their own personal paths rather than a one size fits all approach. With that said, I do not believe it is the role of the government to regulate morality.

Do not adhere to any religion but do believe in a higher power.

Love outdoor activities whether it be fishing, hiking, or swimming in oceans and lakes.

I enjoy conversing with people and find it important to be in a well populated area yet do not care much for living downtown. Also, while I believe every place in the world has its share of good people, I've learned people vary by location. Of course my idea of good is only subjective. I value honesty, integrity, friendliness, and people who believe in 'live and let live.' Basically, I'm searching for a place that is scenic and well populated yet humble and laid back. Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited by scenicchanges; 01-16-2013 at 02:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 02:36 PM

93,257 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Perhaps something in Wyoming, Montana or Idaho.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Perhaps something in Wyoming, Montana or Idaho.
I'd imagine it'd be difficult to make friends and find work in those places. I've always wanted to visit Yellowstone but I believe that region may be a little too isolated for me to call home.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:51 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,978,552 times
Why don't you flock to Phoenix like the rest of ex
Chicagoans.....you'll feel right at home(not really just offering a suggestion)

Old 01-16-2013, 02:57 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,686,789 times
Some areas of Virginia, Tennessee or possibly North Carolina may be a fit.

Montana, Wyoming etc, would not be a good fit. Those are too isolated, sparsly populated. I've lived there and although they are great for an outdoorsman, a 21 yr old would be bored stiff. There is a reason that young people flee those states after High School.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:26 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,709,383 times
I'd suggest Colorado, its different but still shares aspects with Chicago/IL.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:34 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,622,115 times
Maby check out the Denver area

Old 01-16-2013, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
Some areas of Virginia, Tennessee or possibly North Carolina may be a fit.

Montana, Wyoming etc, would not be a good fit. Those are too isolated, sparsly populated. I've lived there and although they are great for an outdoorsman, a 21 yr old would be bored stiff. There is a reason that young people flee those states after High School.
That's what I'm looking for. I was thinking Austin or Denver but was hoping to maybe find a city still up and coming. I went to Austin earlier this month and while I loved exploring beautiful hill country, the vibe downtown seemed very pretentious as if too many people were attempting to be different rather than allowing it to come naturally, and this is coming from someone with an appreciation for free thinkers. I'm wondering if the mass exodus from California has anything to do with it or maybe I got a skewed view since I assume many students were still home for the holidays. Do you have any insight on Raleigh or Nashville or could you recommend any specific cities in that region?

Last edited by scenicchanges; 01-16-2013 at 07:07 PM..

Old 01-16-2013, 07:29 PM

93,257 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scenicchanges View Post
I'd imagine it'd be difficult to make friends and find work in those places. I've always wanted to visit Yellowstone but I believe that region may be a little too isolated for me to call home.
In that case, you may like Upstate NY or PA. Both have scenery and can offer the outdoor activities that you are looking for. Perhaps the Pittsburgh area could work, for example.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:16 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,428,901 times
Mpls has lakes galore, is tops for biking, and has plenty of great neighborhoods with restaurants, bars, and good amount of live music venues around. Basically, tons of big city amenities minus big city problems. That and lots of locals head out to one of the state parks or lakes not too far from here for some isolated nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.