U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-01-2013, 04:09 PM
 
3,234 posts, read 7,633,801 times
Reputation: 2708

Advertisements

I would think the Prudential building in Boston would be recognizable to most.... or fenway. That is easily one of the most recognizable stadiums in the country(this is coming from a Yankee fan).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-01-2013, 04:29 PM
 
1,189 posts, read 1,811,192 times
Reputation: 972
Whats with the houston boasters? Its like as if they think they live in a world class city. And the only city they have with any real culture (san antonio) they ignore and shun because its not dallas or houston. San Antonio's Alamo is a hundred times more known then anything in dallas and houston.

On a different note, why dont we compare cities in canada and mexico?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2013, 05:09 PM
 
Location: Tokyo, Japan
6,633 posts, read 8,334,113 times
Reputation: 7594
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
If you KNOW it's not known to the outside world, then why would Houstonians name them off? BTW, people here have named the Johnson Space Center several times already.
I wasn't in the conversation before, I saw dalparadise post. He's a great poster whose posts I actually admire for the way he's a straight shooter. I agree with him, the Astrodome is sitting there vacant and every three months there are lunatics in the Houston city council proposing something different for the place.

Just give it a rest already, we all know (those of us who have lived in Houston) that it's probably going to sit there vacant for another 5-10 years and eventually be demolished. That's how Houston does it, right? Demolishing everything that even gives it a break of historical accomplishment. What a misery.

Houstonians should wise up and care for their city more instead of being so ignorant to their city's offerings. Houston has ready made landmarks like Transco, San Jacinto, or any of the space craft at JSC that it could publicize first to it's population & then the rest of the world. However, the Houston method is to sit there idle- act like it doesn't exist and then when someone snubs it- get all defensive about it like as if they actually cared for it.

Look at emporis for example, they use the space craft stuff in their depiction for Houston, looks rather fitting for the so called "Space City" but there's just one problem- they're advertising a city that doesn't care for being unique: Houston | Buildings | EMPORIS

Whatever Houston, then wonder why people think Dallas & Austin are better because they embrace all they have & show support for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2013, 05:45 PM
 
1,000 posts, read 1,504,832 times
Reputation: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
I wasn't in the conversation before, I saw dalparadise post. He's a great poster whose posts I actually admire for the way he's a straight shooter. I agree with him, the Astrodome is sitting there vacant and every three months there are lunatics in the Houston city council proposing something different for the place.

Just give it a rest already, we all know (those of us who have lived in Houston) that it's probably going to sit there vacant for another 5-10 years and eventually be demolished. That's how Houston does it, right? Demolishing everything that even gives it a break of historical accomplishment. What a misery.

Houstonians should wise up and care for their city more instead of being so ignorant to their city's offerings. Houston has ready made landmarks like Transco, San Jacinto, or any of the space craft at JSC that it could publicize first to it's population & then the rest of the world. However, the Houston method is to sit there idle- act like it doesn't exist and then when someone snubs it- get all defensive about it like as if they actually cared for it.

Look at emporis for example, they use the space craft stuff in their depiction for Houston, looks rather fitting for the so called "Space City" but there's just one problem- they're advertising a city that doesn't care for being unique: Houston | Buildings | EMPORIS

Whatever Houston, then wonder why people think Dallas & Austin are better because they embrace all they have & show support for it.
Well, you were at least reasonable in the first half.... the second half seems pretty broad reaching and generalized considering you're talking about the 4th largest city in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2013, 05:50 PM
JJG
 
Location: Fort Worth
13,248 posts, read 19,189,929 times
Reputation: 7010
Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
I wasn't in the conversation before, I saw dalparadise post. He's a great poster whose posts I actually admire for the way he's a straight shooter. I agree with him, the Astrodome is sitting there vacant and every three months there are lunatics in the Houston city council proposing something different for the place.

Just give it a rest already, we all know (those of us who have lived in Houston) that it's probably going to sit there vacant for another 5-10 years and eventually be demolished. That's how Houston does it, right? Demolishing everything that even gives it a break of historical accomplishment. What a misery.

Houstonians should wise up and care for their city more instead of being so ignorant to their city's offerings. Houston has ready made landmarks like Transco, San Jacinto, or any of the space craft at JSC that it could publicize first to it's population & then the rest of the world. However, the Houston method is to sit there idle- act like it doesn't exist and then when someone snubs it- get all defensive about it like as if they actually cared for it.

Look at emporis for example, they use the space craft stuff in their depiction for Houston, looks rather fitting for the so called "Space City" but there's just one problem- they're advertising a city that doesn't care for being unique: Houston | Buildings | EMPORIS

Whatever Houston, then wonder why people think Dallas & Austin are better because they embrace all they have & show support for it.
First off, I'm a Fort Worth native.... just an FYI. So there's no "Houston boasting", just recognizing (and appreciating) it for what it meant in the world of sport and architecture.

Plus, I was done. I gave my offering, I pointed out one (of multiple) landmarks in Houston. That's all. The Houston bashing isn't necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2013, 06:04 PM
 
Location: Tokyo, Japan
6,633 posts, read 8,334,113 times
Reputation: 7594
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
The Houston bashing isn't necessary.
What bashing?

I actually like Houston, quite a lot. Look I get it, we're on different pages here.

You're arguing the Astrodome because it's a Houston icon- it is. I'm arguing that Houston doesn't have any instantly recognizable landmarks for the rest of the world to identify and I'm pretty damn sure on that.

The only people who lose out in this conversation are the idiots saying Houston actually doesn't have landmarks, it has several. Just they're not well known both inside the city & outside (besides Transco, it's appreciated in Houston & Texas for that matter).
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
First off, I'm a Fort Worth native.... just an FYI. So there's no "Houston boasting", just recognizing (and appreciating) it for what it meant in the world of sport and architecture.
Well then support your appreciation.

Go to the Reliant site & tell those Mo-Fudruckers that the dome has to stay and be used for something. Don't just talk about how it changed the world of sports stadiums, hell even Reliant Park (Houston's new NFL stadium) changed the stadium world. I get it, it has historical significance- but apparently it's not significant enough for the incompetent leaders in Houston to care.

Which is what this all comes down to, Houston's backward leaders & how they hold the city back every chance they get. They could have marketed the dome better, done something with it, kept better care of it- but no they ignored it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2013, 06:11 PM
 
1,000 posts, read 1,504,832 times
Reputation: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
I actually like Houston, quite a lot. Look I get it, we're on different pages here.
I don't know about him, but I'm on page 14, and it doesn't really seem like you like Houston all that much

Quote:
Just give it a rest already, we all know (those of us who have lived in Houston) that it's probably going to sit there vacant for another 5-10 years and eventually be demolished. That's how Houston does it, right? Demolishing everything that even gives it a break of historical accomplishment. What a misery.

Houstonians should wise up and care for their city more instead of being so ignorant to their city's offerings. Houston has ready made landmarks like Transco, San Jacinto, or any of the space craft at JSC that it could publicize first to it's population & then the rest of the world. However, the Houston method is to sit there idle- act like it doesn't exist and then when someone snubs it- get all defensive about it like as if they actually cared for it.

Look at emporis for example, they use the space craft stuff in their depiction for Houston, looks rather fitting for the so called "Space City" but there's just one problem- they're advertising a city that doesn't care for being unique: Houston | Buildings | EMPORIS

Whatever Houston, then wonder why people think Dallas & Austin are better because they embrace all they have & show support for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2013, 06:18 PM
 
Location: Tokyo, Japan
6,633 posts, read 8,334,113 times
Reputation: 7594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bslette View Post
I don't know about him, but I'm on page 14, and it doesn't really seem like you like Houston all that much
I love Houston in many ways. I criticize on three cities that I like very much:

- Miami
- Austin
- Houston

Why? Houstonians need to get a grip. Look Houston has a lot of cool things about it, definitely & infinitely better place than depicted on this sorry site, that's for damn sure.

It doesn't help that Houstonians boost so much though- they boost everything all day long like it's supposed to be special. Houston has a lot of great things- some of those being iconic to Houston. The Transco Tower (sorry, Williams Tower is stupid) being the best one. Johnson Space Center- the building is butt ugly both inside & out but the Spacecraft there is iconic. Kemah Boardwalk, a Houston area icon. The 1894 Opera House from the inside- incredible but very unknown in the Houston area & rest of the world. The Moody Gardens Pyramid- again a Houston area icon but relatively unknown by the rest of the world.

I could let Houstonians pass if they were correcting someone that said "Houston has absolutely no landmarks" that's retardedly wrong. Where my issues are is that Houstonians are typically acting like people around the world know what the devil the Astrodome is. It's iconic sure, not very well known.

Overall though, in my personal opinion the only cities making any cases in this thread for iconic & well known landmarks should be New York, Washington, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Saint Louis, & maybe Seattle and Cambridge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2013, 06:39 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis (St. Louis Park)
5,991 posts, read 8,322,771 times
Reputation: 4270
I'm not from Houston and have only been to the airport......the Astrodome is NOT iconic for the city of Houston. I'm sorry if somebody who lives there disagrees or is saddened by this. People know the Astrodome resides in Houston, but to call it an "icon" is frankly, sad. Similarly, the Metrodome in Minneapolis isn't iconic either, even though people know that it is associated with the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2013, 09:59 PM
 
Location: South Beach and DT Raleigh
11,810 posts, read 18,816,975 times
Reputation: 11136
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
Er....no, I don't think so. I just did a google image search of Ocean Drive. I don't think I've seen any of those pictures before in my life. If you can go 25 years in a country and not see something at least once, I don't think it's a nationally recognizable landmark. Sorry.

I mean, Miami definitely looks distinct. But I don't think I could look at any picture of Miami (besides the skyline) and tell you it was Miami, instead of, say, San Diego. Again, sorry, but there just is no single building in Miami that I can think of that the average American even knows exists...
Sorry. I still think you are wrong. We can agree to disagree.

The OP says to list cities that don't have an identifiable landmark. Ocean Drive with its historic art deco hotels is VERY identifiable as Miami. In fact, it's so identifiable, it's almost always the scene/location selected to highlight Miami on national televised events. When the Super Bowl is in in Miami, the network sets up in Lumus park to have the strip as its backdrop. I was down on Ocean today and the BCS crew is busy setting up for the NCAA football national championship with, you guessed it, the Ocean Drive strip is its backdrop. When the Today Show, Good Morning America, etc. set up telecasts, they choose the very same location on purpose. It's quintessential Miami and most people instantly recognize it as so.

In fact, I am sitting here watching the Orange Bowl right now and guess what they show as they cut to a commercial? That's right, it's Ocean Drive....despite the fact that the stadium is 17 miles away.

Last edited by rnc2mbfl; 01-01-2013 at 10:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top