U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-01-2013, 11:41 PM
 
Location: Shaw.
2,226 posts, read 3,145,777 times
Reputation: 809

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
Would they recognize those things as being in Miami, though? Because there's a difference between saying
"hey, I saw that in Goldfinger!" vs. saying "hey, that's in Miami!"
Yeah, I was putting it more in the "Yeah, I've seen that before, but not sure where it is" category.

Quote:
Miami has a great national and international image as a city on the whole, but quite honestly? I don't think it has any iconic landmark on a national or international scale. St. Louis, which is a much less prominent city globally right now, has the Arch....Miami just doesn't have anything on that kind of scale of recognition...
Yeah, it's not on that level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-02-2013, 02:26 AM
 
14,111 posts, read 22,767,853 times
Reputation: 4208
You guys who say Miami doesn't have an idetifiable landmark on the level of the Gateway Arch, you guys are uninformed:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=miami...4.89,,0,-60.56

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=miami...12,182.24,,0,0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2013, 06:24 AM
 
Location: Fishers, IN
4,166 posts, read 4,621,955 times
Reputation: 4229
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
You guys who say Miami doesn't have an idetifiable landmark on the level of the Gateway Arch, you guys are uninformed:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=miami...4.89,,0,-60.56

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=miami...12,182.24,,0,0
I don't know what that is. Maybe I've not seen much of Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2013, 07:17 AM
 
933 posts, read 1,608,591 times
Reputation: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
You guys who say Miami doesn't have an idetifiable landmark on the level of the Gateway Arch, you guys are uninformed:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=miami...4.89,,0,-60.56

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=miami...12,182.24,,0,0
Okay, so Miami has an arch that nobody knows about. How does that relate to the Gateway Arch?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2013, 07:28 AM
 
1,547 posts, read 2,352,906 times
Reputation: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
You guys who say Miami doesn't have an idetifiable landmark on the level of the Gateway Arch, you guys are uninformed:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=miami...4.89,,0,-60.56

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=miami...12,182.24,,0,0
what is it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2013, 07:57 AM
 
Location: Minneapolis (St. Louis Park)
5,991 posts, read 8,321,280 times
Reputation: 4270
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Sorry. I still think you are wrong. We can agree to disagree.

The OP says to list cities that don't have an identifiable landmark. Ocean Drive with its historic art deco hotels is VERY identifiable as Miami. In fact, it's so identifiable, it's almost always the scene/location selected to highlight Miami on national televised events. When the Super Bowl is in in Miami, the network sets up in Lumus park to have the strip as its backdrop. I was down on Ocean today and the BCS crew is busy setting up for the NCAA football national championship with, you guessed it, the Ocean Drive strip is its backdrop. When the Today Show, Good Morning America, etc. set up telecasts, they choose the very same location on purpose. It's quintessential Miami and most people instantly recognize it as so.

In fact, I am sitting here watching the Orange Bowl right now and guess what they show as they cut to a commercial? That's right, it's Ocean Drive....despite the fact that the stadium is 17 miles away.
I'm from the same region as srsmn and I think I could pinpoint Miami if I saw those pics. So it probably depends on the viewer just as much as it depends on how actually "iconic" something is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2013, 08:54 AM
JJG
 
Location: Fort Worth
13,248 posts, read 19,187,305 times
Reputation: 7005
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
New York City has the Empire State Building.
St. Louis has the Gateway Arch.
San Francisco has the Golden Gate Bridge.
Toronto has the CN Tower.
Los Angeles has the Hollywood Sign.
etc.

^These are all identifiable landmarks, but what are the 5 biggest cities in North America that do NOT have an identifiable landmark in your opinion?
Ok... this is the OP's first post. Nothing changed, nothing taken out... this is it.

I made my posts, everyone else has made their's, so let's just leave it at that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2013, 10:59 AM
 
9,967 posts, read 14,623,737 times
Reputation: 9193
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Sorry. I still think you are wrong. We can agree to disagree.

The OP says to list cities that don't have an identifiable landmark. Ocean Drive with its historic art deco hotels is VERY identifiable as Miami. In fact, it's so identifiable, it's almost always the scene/location selected to highlight Miami on national televised events. When the Super Bowl is in in Miami, the network sets up in Lumus park to have the strip as its backdrop. I was down on Ocean today and the BCS crew is busy setting up for the NCAA football national championship with, you guessed it, the Ocean Drive strip is its backdrop. When the Today Show, Good Morning America, etc. set up telecasts, they choose the very same location on purpose. It's quintessential Miami and most people instantly recognize it as so.

In fact, I am sitting here watching the Orange Bowl right now and guess what they show as they cut to a commercial? That's right, it's Ocean Drive....despite the fact that the stadium is 17 miles away.
I think Miami or at least Miami Beach has a very idenfiable streetscape with the Art Deco district of South Beach and Ocean Drive. However, it's sort of different than having an identifiable landmark that people know the name and location of. If you show someone a photo of Lummus Park, a majority might go, "Oh, that's Miami", however they probably wouldn't know the specific name of the park. Similar to how you could show the famous shot of the Victorian houses on Alamo Square in San Francisco with downtown in the background and people might know it's San Francisco, but they might not have any idea what it's actually called. New Orleans sort of falls into this as well, as there's a streetscape that's easily identifiable as the French Quarter, but I'm not sure if the average person can name the St. Louis Cathedral or other locations outside of saying "Bourbon Street".

It's a little different than what the OP seemed to be going for which are single buildings or monuments that are so famous that almost anyone would know the name and location--and which cities don't have a single landmark or something with that level of notoriety. Like the Hollywood Sign or Statue of Liberty. It's sort of a rarefied level of fame though, so there's really not all that many cities in the US that have something that the lowest common denominator of the American populace can recognize and name from one photo alone. Others have named the handful of places that really qualify already in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2013, 05:46 PM
 
1,000 posts, read 1,504,522 times
Reputation: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
I love Houston in many ways. I criticize on three cities that I like very much:

- Miami
- Austin
- Houston

Why? Houstonians need to get a grip. Look Houston has a lot of cool things about it, definitely & infinitely better place than depicted on this sorry site, that's for damn sure.

It doesn't help that Houstonians boost so much though- they boost everything all day long like it's supposed to be special. Houston has a lot of great things- some of those being iconic to Houston. The Transco Tower (sorry, Williams Tower is stupid) being the best one. Johnson Space Center- the building is butt ugly both inside & out but the Spacecraft there is iconic. Kemah Boardwalk, a Houston area icon. The 1894 Opera House from the inside- incredible but very unknown in the Houston area & rest of the world. The Moody Gardens Pyramid- again a Houston area icon but relatively unknown by the rest of the world.

I could let Houstonians pass if they were correcting someone that said "Houston has absolutely no landmarks" that's retardedly wrong. Where my issues are is that Houstonians are typically acting like people around the world know what the devil the Astrodome is. It's iconic sure, not very well known.

Overall though, in my personal opinion the only cities making any cases in this thread for iconic & well known landmarks should be New York, Washington, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Saint Louis, & maybe Seattle and Cambridge.
Alright, that's agreeable. Minneapolis used to have a similar problem as far as tearing things down goes. although, I think other cities could make a good argument towards iconic and well-known landmarks. Chicago and Orlando are two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2013, 07:41 PM
 
811 posts, read 824,550 times
Reputation: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
This thread turned out as expected....someone names a city without a famous landmark, and residents of said city take offense and name some "landmark" which is only famous locally, if that.

Houston, Phoenix, Cleveland, Columbus, Indianapolis, Milwaukee, Atlanta, Tampa, Jacksonville, Charlotte, all fit the criteria, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. Truth is very few cities in North America have a truly identifiable landmark which would be recognized out of its regional area.
Metro Atlanta does have a landmark. It is called Stone Mountain, the largest exposed piece of granite in the world.

http://0.tqn.com/d/create/1/0/P/E/2/...e-Mountain.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 01-03-2013 at 07:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top