Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 09:55 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,849,669 times

Advertisements

San Jose is approaching 1 million in population, but it has no icon comparable to San Francisco's Golden Gate Bridge or Oakland's Tribune Tower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 10:46 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,219,679 times
Phoenix-Cant think of anything
Houston-Cant think of anything
El Paso-Nothing
Columbus-Nothing
Jacksonville-Beaches possibly but many cities have beaches. Some better so then jacksonville.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:48 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,219,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nave209 View Post
Baltimore has no notable big landmarks.
Harbor?

Old 12-29-2012, 11:02 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,327,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
Well not identifiable to world because that would be a stretch. But identifiable to the North American population (general public).
Ok, I say that because you listed CN Tower. Obviously, people that have either traveled to Toronto or have a pretty good awareness of what goes on in the cities from our friendly neighbor to the north know of CN Tower...but I know a good number of people that would have no clue, whether you asked what or where is CN Tower, or name a famous Toronto landmark.

caphillsea is right -- the list of cities with that level of landmark is small.

New York - Statue of Liberty (and then the Empire State Building)
Washington DC - White House, Capitol Building
Los Angeles - the 'Hollywood' sign
St. Louis - St. Louis Arch
Chicago - Willis Tower (which many still think of as the Sears Tower)
Las Vegas - The Strip (I know it's a collection of buildings, but the neon lights and Welcome To Las Vegas Sign are pretty iconic)
Philadelphia - The Liberty Bell
South Dakota (no, it's not a city...but) - Mount Rushmore (though this is debatable since, sadly, I'm sure a lot of people couldn't tell you where it is)

^^^
These are the landmarks, from an American perspective, that I think are identifiable to the vast majority people here.

After that, there are quite a number of more minor landmarks that a good number of people know of...office buildings, stadiums, civic buildings. Fenway Park in Boston, the Pyramid in Memphis, the French Quarter in New Orleans (specifically Bourbon St), the Space Needle in Seattle, Golden Gate Bridge (and hon. mention to the Transamerica Tower), etc, etc.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:59 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,849,669 times
I think the level of landmark being discussed here are the ones where if you saw a picture of the landmark, you'd immediately know what city it's in.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:00 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,711,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Ok, I say that because you listed CN Tower. Obviously, people that have either traveled to Toronto or have a pretty good awareness of what goes on in the cities from our friendly neighbor to the north know of CN Tower...but I know a good number of people that would have no clue, whether you asked what or where is CN Tower, or name a famous Toronto landmark.

caphillsea is right -- the list of cities with that level of landmark is small.

New York - Statue of Liberty (and then the Empire State Building)
Washington DC - White House, Capitol Building
Los Angeles - the 'Hollywood' sign
St. Louis - St. Louis Arch
Chicago - Willis Tower (which many still think of as the Sears Tower)
Las Vegas - The Strip (I know it's a collection of buildings, but the neon lights and Welcome To Las Vegas Sign are pretty iconic)
Philadelphia - The Liberty Bell
South Dakota (no, it's not a city...but) - Mount Rushmore (though this is debatable since, sadly, I'm sure a lot of people couldn't tell you where it is)

^^^
These are the landmarks, from an American perspective, that I think are identifiable to the vast majority people here.

After that, there are quite a number of more minor landmarks that a good number of people know of...office buildings, stadiums, civic buildings. Fenway Park in Boston, the Pyramid in Memphis, the French Quarter in New Orleans (specifically Bourbon St), the Space Needle in Seattle, Golden Gate Bridge (and hon. mention to the Transamerica Tower), etc, etc.
^I think these are much more than minor landmarks.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:16 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,327,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
^I think these are much more than minor landmarks.
You're right. Minor isn't the right word.

They are major landmarks, and many people recognize them. Perhaps the average person...who knows. Some of them are much more regional than others, though. Add San Antonio - The Alamo to that list. Perhaps secondary major landmarks would be a better description.

The top list, though, are on another level of recognition. Most schoolchildren would recognize them. Think of what you see on some of those goofy cartoon maps of the US.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:35 AM

10,219 posts, read 15,917,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Unleash the Atlanta haters ...
I'd say Centennial Park and Turner Field are considered landmarks especially the former, plus Stone Mountain which is part of the Atlanta region. I'd probably go with:

San Diego
San Jose
Pittsburgh
Phoenix
Albuquerque
Kansas City
Denver
Milwaukee
Norfolk
Minneapolis

Old 12-30-2012, 12:39 AM

10,219 posts, read 15,917,484 times
Baltimore has Fort McHenry though people outside this area probably don't know what it looks like. The aquarium is famous.

Houston does have the Johnson Space Center and Mission Control Houston more of an interior thing just like the Liberty Bell in Philadelphia. I think San Jose is probably the most unrecognizable large city in the US and is rarely photographed or even talked about. I can't even recognie the San jose skyline, while I CAN recognize the skylines of Kansas City, Denver, and Pittsburgh despite those places also not having famous landmarks.

I also don't think Miami has any single major landmark though Miami Beach is very iconic in its entirely. But the Miami skyline is easily identifiable.

Then there are minor landmarks like the Reunion Tower in Dallas or the pyramid building in Memphis or the Grand Ol Opry in Nashville and the Sunshine Skyways Bridge in Tampa.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:41 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,897,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Houston and Pheonix must be two of them, I'd guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by burloak View Post
Dallas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
Houston-Cant think of anything
Dallas = pretty much the entire skyline.... Dealy Plaza (JFK assassination)...

Houston = the Astrodome (first indoor baseball park ever).... LBJ NASA Space Center.... the former Enron Building

Can't say much about Phoenix...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.