Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2012, 12:02 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,776,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
The premise of this thread is instantly recognizable landmarks.

Really? The Astrodome? Top 5 US Landmarks:

Golden Gate Bridge
Empire State Building
Gateway Arch
Astrodome
Astrodome!!!!

(it is there twice on purpose, it hosted an All-Star game for crying out loud!!!!!)
No one is putting it up there with with what you mentioned, but it's certainly NOT just some regular, everyday stadium.

It does have major historical significance, ya know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 12:08 AM

8,938 posts, read 17,157,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
No one is putting it up there with with what you mentioned, but it's certainly NOT just some regular, everyday stadium.

It does have major historical significance, ya know.
When an average person from Ohio or Maine that has never been to California sees the Golden Gate Bridge, they immediately know where that is. It is the same thing with the arch in STL or the Empire State Building. That is the point of this thread. I would bet money that if you gathered 20 average people who have never been to Texas, and showed them a picture of the Astrodome, one maybe two would know it is the Astrodome for sure without guessing.

Sorry, in a thread about instantly recognizable landmarks like the OP posted, the Astrodome doesn't cut it. Not even close. That is like calling new Busch Stadium in St. Louis a world-famous landmark because it has bricks and arches; you know, like all those other stadiums with bricks and arches.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:19 AM

1,185 posts, read 2,205,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post
What's that?

Not sure if this counts as a landmark, but the confluence of the three rivers is pretty iconic.

When I think of Jackonville, I think of those lighted bridges they have.
That thing is Boston City Hall. You would think in a city filled with historic structures they would go for something with more class.

Second, who thinks of the lighted bridges in jacksonville? Only C-D posters would but what about the average american? The average american wouldn't know jack about jacksonville. If you showed jacksonville's bridges to 100 people, maybe 2 people would know what city it belongs to. Jacksonville doesnt have any real well known landmarks at all. French quarter, Golden Gate Bridge, Statue of Liberty, Washington Monument, Chicago's Sears tower, Hollywood, Liberty bell and The Alamo are REAL landmarks

Old 12-31-2012, 12:22 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,776,449 times
Quote:
When an average person from Ohio or Maine that has never been to California sees the Golden Gate Bridge, they immediately know where that is. It is the same thing with the arch in STL or the Empire State Building. That is the point of this thread. I would bet money that if you gathered 20 average people who have never been to Texas, and showed them a picture of the Astrodome, one maybe two would know it is the Astrodome for sure without guessing.

Sorry, in a thread about instantly recognizable landmarks like the OP posted, the Astrodome doesn't cut it. Not even close. That is like calling new Busch Stadium in St. Louis a world-famous landmark because it has bricks and arches; you know, like all those other stadiums with bricks and arches.
Again, you're not getting it.

Of course people wont call the new Busch Stadium a world famous landmark because it was just built and has NO historical significance outside of the Cardinals winning a World Series there.... that's it. You're really putting it in the same category as a ballpark that's not even 10 years old yet with no innovative features to it?

No, the Astrodome isn't the Empire State Building, or the Gateway Arch, or the Golden Gate Bridge.... it's also not some house on the corner of a street in some small town, either.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:25 AM

8,938 posts, read 17,157,761 times
Quote:
No, the Astrodome isn't the Empire State Building, or the Gateway Arch, or the Golden Gate Bridge
Exactly. I think we can end this talk of the Astrodome now. It has no business being discussed in a thread about stuff people outside of Texas actually care about.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:29 AM

1,018 posts, read 1,838,761 times
The Astrodome seems like an odd choice as Houston's icon. It's empty and only used occasionally, and a definite candidate to be torn down. Maybe it was Houston's icon up from its opening (1962?) up until around 2000, but hardly fits now.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:35 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,851,592 times
Quote:
Exactly. I think we can end this talk of the Astrodome now. It has no business being discussed in a thread about stuff people outside of Texas actually care about.
I'm from Minnesota... and I'm defending the Astrodome. Remember that this thread not about the top 5 most recognizable landmarks. It's about what cities don't have landmarks. People are simply defending different cities. In this case, the discussion was about whether the Astrodome was recognizable. Not about it being equal with the top word renown landmarks. Even if you don't think the Astrodome counts, Houston still has the NASA Space Center. If you don't think people know about that, then Houston, we have a problem.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:38 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,851,592 times
Quote:
And like the other inflated domed stadiums with it, it will soon be gone.... and replaced.
Oh yes. And trust me, I can't wait. But for the time being, the Metrodome is still pretty famous, or perhaps infamous. Either way, it's old, and hopefully the new stadium will be even more of a landmark.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:16 AM

10,720 posts, read 23,621,080 times
We're still talking about these ugly dome stadiums?

I think Fenway Park and Wrigley Field deserve a lot more recognition as iconic landmarks.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:27 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,772,257 times
There really are only a small number of cities that have identifiable landmarks. I am talking if you surveryed a 1,000 people, more than 90% would be able to pick the city.

Empire State Building/Statue of Libery - NYC
Gateway Arch - St. Louis
Golden Gate Bridge - San Francisco
Space Needle - Seattle
White House/Jefferson Memorial - Washington, D.C.
Hollywood Sign - LA

Second Tier:
The Alamo - San Antonio
Liberty Bell - Philadelphia
Bourbon Street - New Orleans (I know it's a street, but the street scape is very recognizable)
Sears Tower (Willis Tower) - Chicago
Hoover Dam/Las Vegas Strip (same as Bourbon Street) - Las Vegas
Cinderella's Castle - Orlando
Fenway Park - Boston
South Beach Neon Lights - Miami (again, street scape)

I am willing to bet if you asked those same 1,000 people, most would have no idea where Mt. Rushmore is. Same goes for
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.