Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2008, 11:07 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,334,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
wow...90 blocks of new development in 6 months. that's impressive.
Hahahaha!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
If the big leauges is NYC, LA and Chicago then yes I agree, but don't insult Houston by putting it below SF and Boston, that's just wrong
NYC, LA, and Chicago dominate in pretty much everything. The next tier definitely includes SF, Boston, Seattle, Houston, and maybe a few others. None of them can really be ranked above the others, except maybe SF, because they are all better in certain aspects, but worse in others. There may be biases against Houston, but I don't believe it is no where near the level of other large cities.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:15 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,849,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
NYC, LA, and Chicago dominate in pretty much everything. The next tier definitely includes SF, Boston, Seattle, Houston, and maybe a few others. None of them can really be ranked above the others, except maybe SF, because they are all better in certain aspects, but worse in others. There may be biases against Houston, but I don't believe it is no where near the level of other large cities.
I've never thought of Chicago as being on the same level as NYC and L.A.

NYC and L.A. seem like polar opposites on a grand scale. Chicago just seems somewhere stuck in the middle.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:16 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,514,305 times
Quote:
You should include Wash. DC in the 2nd tier as well

Old 12-30-2008, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I've never thought of Chicago as being on the same level as NYC and L.A.

NYC and L.A. seem like polar opposites on a grand scale. Chicago just seems somewhere stuck in the middle.
I think it's seen as the middle path between the two giants and it is definitely on a higher level than Houston, Seattle, Boston, SF, and DC (for you sweetclimber).

Old 12-30-2008, 11:29 PM

Quote:
I think it's seen as the middle path between the two giants and it is definitely on a higher level than Houston, Seattle, Boston, SF, and DC (for you sweetclimber).
I definitely rank it higher than Houston, Seattle, Boston, and SF.

But I would rank Chicago and DC on the same tier right after NYC and L.A.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:31 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,946,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Chicago has built an entire downtown Houston in the last six months alone.
I laughed. Funny joke.

Quote:
It's time to realize Houston's not in the big leagues, Angel713.
If you mean Houston's not on NYC or LA's level, then you're right. Next below their level is Chi and SF. Houston is just below them with DC, Boston, Dallas, Miami, and Atlanta.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:56 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,623,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
I laughed. Funny joke.

If you mean Houston's not on NYC or LA's level, then you're right. Next below their level is Chi and SF. Houston is just below them with DC, Boston, Dallas, Miami, and Atlanta.

This may be the site's most prevalent, demanding, thought-provoking and endearing (sarcasm) topic. Chicago is most certaintly on LA's tier, likely higher as a global city. If anything, we need to move LA and Chicago down a peg because in most ways, NYC sits by itself.

Folks, I submit to you the final and authoritative ranking of cities in the US (pub. date: 12/31/2008). As this is such an important topic (i.e., life altering), I ask that you take some time to familiarize yourself and commit to memory. Live with this, write it on your hand if you have to... discuss with family/neighbors, place in your diaries and safe deposit boxes, etc. Consider this my holiday gift to the City Data community. [This gift cannot be returned.]

Tier 1

A. NYC

B1. Chicago
B2. LA

Tier 2

A1. SF
A2. DC

B1. Houston
B2. Boston

C1. Philadelphia
C2. Dallas

Tier 3

A1. Atlanta
A2. Miami
A3. Seattle

Tier 4

You needn't bother yourselves.

Last edited by BigLake; 12-31-2008 at 10:16 AM..

Old 12-31-2008, 10:55 AM

Even better:

Tier 1

A1. NYC
A2. LA

B. Chicago

Tier 2

A1. DC
A2. SF

B1. Houston
B2. Boston

C1. Philadelphia
C2. Dallas

Tier 3

A1. Miami
A2. Atlanta
A3. Seattle

Tier 4

You needn't bother yourselves.

Old 12-31-2008, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
This may be the site's most prevalent, demanding, thought-provoking and endearing (sarcasm) topic. Chicago is most certaintly on LA's tier, likely higher as a global city. If anything, we need to move LA and Chicago down a peg because in most ways, NYC sits by itself.
Haha...what a comedian you are.

westhou's list is more accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.