U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 03:32 PM

1,528 posts, read 1,237,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californialove24 View Post
and dam, people from texas ( no offense) please stop making crazy ass thread what the hell is this: Do you think houston will surpass the continent of africa. The hell is that bull spit.

lmao!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 07:19 PM

2,152 posts, read 1,307,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
What do you think? I think it's possible since pretty much the only desirable area that people want to move to in NYC is Manhattan and there is no more room for Manhattan to grow in population. LA has a lot of room to expand it's downtown area by using emminent domain on those crappy poor cheap homes near DT LA. If we can get more density in LA, we can definitely surpass NYC in a decade or two.

What do you think?
Wishful thinking. LA does have 164 more square miles of land to work with than New York City. But I do not see the city building up density in that way anytime soon. I doubt LA could even afford to build the density. New York City has more than 10 times as many high rise buildings as LA. Ten times. This considering the fact that it is the 2nd largest city in the country.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
What do you think? I think it's possible since pretty much the only desirable area that people want to move to in NYC is Manhattan and there is no more room for Manhattan to grow in population. LA has a lot of room to expand it's downtown area by using emminent domain on those crappy poor cheap homes near DT LA. If we can get more density in LA, we can definitely surpass NYC in a decade or two.

What do you think?
The initial predictions were that LA would reach 10 million back in the 70s. Irony of which is that LA county did.

New York City would have to stop growing. The outer boroughs are no where near as dense as Manhattan. To be honest, New York, if completely built out, could support 20 million people, easily. You would need twice as many train routes, and some major infrastructural upgrades but it is possible. The Bronx and Queens alone could each hold 5 to 10 million people.

LA is not even half the population of NYC. If NYC stopped growth for like, 40 years, then LA might have a possibility to catch up to NY but even then what is to say NYC would not grow again.

LA should be LA and compete with cities like Houston and Chicago on growth, as it has. Surpassing Chicago was a major milestone. Had Chicago been at full capacity it never would have happened.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:21 PM

130 posts, read 84,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post

New York City would have to stop growing. The outer boroughs are no where near as dense as Manhattan. To be honest, New York, if completely built out, could support 20 million people, easily. You would need twice as many train routes, and some major infrastructural upgrades but it is possible. The Bronx and Queens alone could each hold 5 to 10 million people.
Maybe it's almost 20 million with undocumented people?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Old 01-14-2013, 08:41 PM

4,559 posts, read 9,034,617 times
For fun, I looked at the growth rate for each city between 2000-2010 (2.1% for NY, 2.6% for LA). If you apply that growth rate decade after decade:

LA will reach NY's 2010 population by year 2305.
LA will catch NY by year 3410. The population of both cities will be about 147 million.

Obviously things will happen between now and then to cause both cities' growth rates to fluctuate, such as economic changes, world war 17, and alien invasions. But I was amazed to see how long it would take LA to catch up to NY if recent trends were to continue forever.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezyk View Post
Maybe it's almost 20 million with undocumented people?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
As much as I can appreciate your sense of humor I thought this was a serious discussion. The cities in places like China and Africa have more of a problem with this than the US. No, it is not 20 million with undocumented people. Might be an extra few hundred thousand, but nothing on that magnitude. Can't believe you mention this with a straight face.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:54 PM

148 posts, read 78,431 times
Default you know... even if it did

first off forget that im a chicagoan posting in this thread. this isnt about trying to boost my city.

Assuming that actually were to happen in the future, what person would seriously want to try to live in a city that is that car dependent with woefully inadequate public transportation. As-is the current public transportation is still a much discussed issue with angelenos. And the basis of the discussion is two-fold in regards to air quailty and healthy breathing better quality lifestyle and reduction of cars and surface traffic that makes LA gridlock a nationally known phenomenon. During my vacation there eariler this year, just going from venice sta monica -to burbank was not a quick trip at all. Close to half of newyorkers take the subway to get around and some live without a car. Soo is this a reality angelenos will willingly embrace? Probably not, they like their cars too much.

So adding another 5-6 million people is somehow a good idea, when current public transporation cant even serve the 3.8 million in the City (not metro) of angels? Think smog is a problem now? Or highway traffic is a biatch now? interesting...

Theres a reason why some chinese locals of bejing call it beige-jing.... and why manila, p.i. is the densest city metro on earth..@ 112k/ sq mi!
I know. Ive been there. Its an overwhelming crush of humanity! Amercan cities pale in this type of comparison... and thats a good thing, seriously.

Even if cook county doubled to 11 million and chicago proper became 6 million it would complicate matters to say the least. So why not just be happy with how LA is, but just build more efficient transportation to serve it? Or howabout make more highways since la wont have enough... #shakin mah head... naww

Last edited by jpchi60630; 01-16-2013 at 11:35 PM..

Old 01-17-2013, 07:26 AM

140 posts, read 102,772 times
L.A is currently improving its public transportation (Expo line to Santa Monica under construction, Gold line extension also under construction, crenshaw line coming soon, the Dowtown Steetcar was accepted, the extension of the purple line was approved too, LAX people mover should be a reality within the next 10 years, a new line in SFV is in the works (BRT or LRT) ...)
And there is a lot of transit-oriented development ... Air quality improves every year, tourism in L.A hit a record in 2012, lots of new things coming to DTLA, Hollywood and Century City
L.A is improving, it's taking a lot of time because the city is HUGE and so young but once those new lines arrive I think the city will much more attractive to many people.
Will L.A ever surpass NYC in its population ? Maybe, the CSA can surpass NYC's one in a few decades, the MSA may surpass NYC's in more than 50 years (but I don't believe it will). As for the city, well it may never surpass NYC ...

Old 01-17-2013, 12:37 PM

8,718 posts, read 4,852,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryever View Post
L.A is currently improving its public transportation (Expo line to Santa Monica under construction, Gold line extension also under construction, crenshaw line coming soon, the Dowtown Steetcar was accepted, the extension of the purple line was approved too, LAX people mover should be a reality within the next 10 years, a new line in SFV is in the works (BRT or LRT) ...)
And there is a lot of transit-oriented development ... Air quality improves every year, tourism in L.A hit a record in 2012, lots of new things coming to DTLA, Hollywood and Century City
L.A is improving, it's taking a lot of time because the city is HUGE and so young but once those new lines arrive I think the city will much more attractive to many people.
Will L.A ever surpass NYC in its population ? Maybe, the CSA can surpass NYC's one in a few decades, the MSA may surpass NYC's in more than 50 years (but I don't believe it will). As for the city, well it may never surpass NYC ...
Agreed, the poster above you has an antiquated picture of Los Angeles - which is funny considering he/she was there just a few months ago. Los Angeles has a very ambitious transit expansion package and has already built quite a few lines to go along with its better than realized existing transit. As Los Angeles grows it becomes easier and easier to access more and more of the city without your car.

Yes Santa Monica to Burbank takes a very long time to drive. So does driving from Brooklyn to Yonkers, NY - a similar commute in terms of distance (24 vs 26) and the type of development traveled through (Lower Manhattan and the Bronx vs Central LA + DTLA) and the public transit time (1:26 vs 1:40) and similar in that you are traveling from one "borough" (Brooklyn, Santa Monica), through the core of the city and out to an inner suburban (Yonkers, Burbank).

As Los Angeles increases its population it is making these sort of infrastructure improvements. But LA will probably not ever reach the population of NYC, and that is okay.

Oh yeah and the smog thing? Not really noticeable anymore.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:20 PM

170 posts, read 49,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpchi60630 View Post
first off forget that im a chicagoan posting in this thread. this isnt about trying to boost my city.

Assuming that actually were to happen in the future, what person would seriously want to try to live in a city that is that car dependent with woefully inadequate public transportation. As-is the current public transportation is still a much discussed issue with angelenos. And the basis of the discussion is two-fold in regards to air quailty and healthy breathing better quality lifestyle and reduction of cars and surface traffic that makes LA gridlock a nationally known phenomenon. During my vacation there eariler this year, just going from venice sta monica -to burbank was not a quick trip at all. Close to half of newyorkers take the subway to get around and some live without a car. Soo is this a reality angelenos will willingly embrace? Probably not, they like their cars too much.

So adding another 5-6 million people is somehow a good idea, when current public transporation cant even serve the 3.8 million in the City (not metro) of angels? Think smog is a problem now? Or highway traffic is a biatch now? interesting...

Theres a reason why some chinese locals of bejing call it beige-jing.... and why manila, p.i. is the densest city metro on earth..@ 112k/ sq mi!
I know. Ive been there. Its an overwhelming crush of humanity! Amercan cities pale in this type of comparison... and thats a good thing, seriously.

Even if cook county doubled to 11 million and chicago proper became 6 million it would complicate matters to say the least. So why not just be happy with how LA is, but just build more efficient transportation to serve it? Or howabout make more highways since la wont have enough... #shakin mah head... naww
If you ask the majority of Angelenos, most would either say that they are happy with the size of LA or there are too many people. The distorted reality among outsiders is that there is some kind of pissing match where Angelenos want to be bigger than NY

Having said that, the city of LOS understands that the city is continuing to grow in terms of population and increased efforts to ease congestion is not merely optimistic thinking but something the city is actually working on as we speak.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryever View Post
Pretty much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.