Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2013, 06:49 PM

69 posts, read 83,701 times

Advertisements

No, LA will never surpass NYC. For one, NYC is growing faster than LA right now. NYC gets far more immigrants, and has far more gentrification.

If you're talking metro area, NYC is surrounded by other MSAs much moreso than LA, so if the metropolitan area boundaries expand, it's more to NYC's benefit (potentially adding Philly, Hartford, Albany, Scranton, etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 06:52 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,558,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonaZoo View Post
I would probably go for a long walk off a short cliff if I was forced to live in either N.Y.C. or L.A.
"Pier". A long walk off a short pier. A pier is an elevated walkway extending from the land over the water, usually an ocean. An ocean is what prevents coastal CA from becoming a suffocating hellscape like AZ in the Summer. Happy belated Solstice.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:45 PM

591 posts, read 820,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
"Pier". A long walk off a short pier. A pier is an elevated walkway extending from the land over the water, usually an ocean. An ocean is what prevents coastal CA from becoming a suffocating hellscape like AZ in the Summer. Happy belated Solstice.
Please, stop embarrassing yourself. I know what a pier is--I grew up in the Ocean State, and I used to live in South Florida. I'm certain I've fished and jumped off many more piers in my short lifetime than you have in your lifetime.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Please, stop embarrassing yourself. I know what a pier is--I grew up in the Ocean State, and I used to live in South Florida. I'm certain I've fished and jumped off many more piers in my short lifetime than you have in your lifetime.
Then what the heck is taking "a long walk off a short cliff", and and why would you rather do that instead of diving off a pier into the cool ocean on a summer day?

And no, you have not jumped off a pier more than I have. I've got a police report to help prove it.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:42 PM

591 posts, read 820,172 times
Quote:
Then what the heck is taking "a long walk off a short cliff", and and why would you rather do that instead of diving off a pier into the cool ocean on a summer day?

And no, you have not jumped off a pier more than I have. I've got a police report to help prove it.
Is jumping of ocean piers a punishable offense in California like almost everything else?

Old 06-27-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Is jumping of ocean piers a punishable offense in California like almost everything else?
There's more to the story than that.

But the mere act is illegal in Florida also.
http://www.fox4now.com/news/local/168402576.html

Old 06-30-2013, 09:47 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,946,082 times
Short answer: No

Long Answer: Hell No

Old 06-30-2013, 09:49 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB8abovetherim View Post
Short answer: No

Long Answer: Hell No
Well put Sir.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:24 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
Isn't LA just now about built-out within its city limits? That should slow it's growth down quite a bit. It certainly may grow, as NYC is growing, but not like sunbelt cities which expand so quickly because so much sprawl and new construction is taking place within the massive city limits of the central city as opposed to the suburbs.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:48 AM

798 posts, read 1,033,642 times
Quote:
People are still rapidly getting out of CA thanks to the crap economy and insane housing prices. And going to (wait for it) Arizona. And the entire state of AZ is not a hellscape. Phoenix and Tucson are pretty hot, but Flagstaff tends to have much milder weather, though not on California's level. I'd love to live in SD, but as long as California remains the way it is, I'd rather live in hot as hell Phoenix and just take weekend trips out to the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.