Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 09:55 PM

149 posts, read 200,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
Except the link you provided talks about metro areas and not the city itself. Some of the metro areas aren't even correct.
Your wasn't talking about cities themselves, either. Northern New Jersey is not part of New York City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 10:11 PM

149 posts, read 200,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
Not necessarily. 30.2% of New York City residents are homeowners. 38.6% of Los Angeles residents are homeowners. Both cities are too expensive for the wages of the average resident to own a home in this market. In both cities, many homeowners likely bought much earlier than the last eight years.

The source only considers metropolitan areas, but in the 2007 real estate market, only 3% of LA Metro area residents could afford to own the median home price and only 6% of NYC Metro residents could afford to own the median priced home. This is a statistic neither city should be proud of. These are extremely low numbers!!! 97% of LA area residents could not afford to buy the median home in 2007 and 94% of NYC area residents couldn't. I think it is safe to say that both cities are very unaffordable.

Source:
New York (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Los Angeles (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
The most affordable U.S. housing markets - Jun. 28, 2007
What major area isn't like that?

How many Orange County residents can actually afford their home? 5%? The median income doesn't match up with the median purchase price at all.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:43 PM

19 posts, read 22,131 times
wont be too soon until L.A surpasses N.Y.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:05 PM

521 posts, read 1,629,177 times
Who cares if LA will ever pass NY? I wouldnt want it to have that many people anyways.
I hope people keep moving to the outer areas of LA such as Riverside, Rancho Cucamonga, Ontario, Corona, even all the way up to Victorville, and maybe make mass transit available into LA.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:14 PM

371 posts, read 1,106,350 times
It wont anytime soon Probably in a couple of decades

Please visit my threads
http://www.city-data.com/forum/music...-you-have.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/movie...lurays-do.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/shopp...-vs-other.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/green...ng-become.html

Last edited by NYCBoy1212; 08-07-2008 at 03:09 PM..

Old 09-21-2008, 01:39 PM

526 posts, read 1,058,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
My parents bought this house in West L.A. for under 300k in 1994. About three years ago it was appraised at 1.2 million. It currently is worth around 1 million since I'm less than a 5 minute walk from the beach.

My aunt bought a condo a few blocks away in 1997 for less than 150k and it's worth I believe between 400k and 500k.

My friend's parents bought a house in El Segundo, CA in the South Bay for less than 500k in 1996 and it's worth 1.5 million now.

thePR did site a valid source ranking NYC number one in impact.
im from chicago and i think that if people keep talking about texas the way they do then the big investment would be buy a home now while it is still cheap and make your profit when it is urbanized in houston and so on.

Old 10-20-2008, 03:43 PM

56 posts, read 118,523 times
L.A won't pass NYC in population. It just won't happen. L.A is basically an overgrown suburb. You don't feel like your in the second biggest city in this country when you're there. It just doesn't have the big city feel that you get in Chicago or New York.

Also, L.A does NOT have room for growth...its already sprawled enough as it is and its blocked my mountains on one side, and an ocean on the other. Realistically, cities in the Midwest (Chicago and Minneapolis) have the most room for growth considering there are no major geographical barriers.

L.A won't be bigger than NYC. As I have said before, I think its population will cap off. New York Cities population will only grow due to immigration.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:55 PM

521 posts, read 1,629,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bracra1 View Post
L.A won't pass NYC in population. It just won't happen. L.A is basically an overgrown suburb. You don't feel like your in the second biggest city in this country when you're there. It just doesn't have the big city feel that you get in Chicago or New York.

Also, L.A does NOT have room for growth...its already sprawled enough as it is and its blocked my mountains on one side, and an ocean on the other. Realistically, cities in the Midwest (Chicago and Minneapolis) have the most room for growth considering there are no major geographical barriers.

L.A won't be bigger than NYC. As I have said before, I think its population will cap off. New York Cities population will only grow due to immigration.
LMAO. Obviously you havent been in LA before, or share the common biases against it.
Anyone who knows LA knows that LA has a world of its own feel. Everytime I go to LA I feel like Im dead smack in the middle of the world. Mainly due to the volumes of people and its big size, which you cant cover in a day on the freeway. Its great that you wouldnt feel like your in the second biggest metro in the US, but dont tell us how we feel.

Im not going to speculate as to whether LA will ever outgrow NY. I have heard of this before and its not hard to believe considering LA's age and the population booms it has gone through. But I dont understand how people can flat out say, LA has no more room for growth. Yeah maybe not outward...but you talk like Los Angeles cant build up like NY, CH, SF, which, after looking at much of the construction in downtown LA, it seems like that is where its headed.

Oh yea, and LA's population due to immigration is probably larger than NY's and continues to grow. Albeit, most of this population is from south/central america, there are still considerable populations from other regions such as asia and eastern europe.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:05 PM

155 posts, read 449,239 times
ny metro is bigger and brought by its size i dont see la beat nyc poplation because if la never had moutains then i see a better chance as county wise and city have get urban like chi-town and miami and nyc name couple pass la even throgh la great city or less you city surban area put singles homes it be a better way get better chance ike this nyc chi-town miami vs la

Old 10-20-2008, 11:51 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,760,034 times
^That's the longest, most grammatically incorrect run-on sentence I have ever seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.