U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 11:59 AM

15,008 posts, read 31,383,615 times

Advertisements

I have no problem using public transit (mostly subway) when I visit NYC, but I wouldn't want to live that way everyday. There are days when I'm not in a good mood, and I just want to get in my car after work, close the door, and not hear other people talking on their cell phones, sniffling, coughing, or whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 01:18 PM

7,278 posts, read 13,527,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Obviously if one has no other options, but it still sucks.
What should it cost?

Old 01-02-2013, 01:20 PM

32,378 posts, read 59,836,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlite View Post
I think the mistake here is that some posters seem to think of us in either/or, "black and white" terms.
Speaking of black and white terms, why are you using "us"?

Old 01-02-2013, 01:45 PM

8,931 posts, read 11,802,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinabredchicagoan View Post
what should it cost?

Old 01-02-2013, 02:13 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,542,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Speaking of black and white terms, why are you using "us"?
"Us" is an error, sorry, it should have been "this." The fingers get ahead of the brain!

Old 01-02-2013, 07:47 PM

11,172 posts, read 22,375,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Far cheaper than owning a car, for sure, but that's way overpriced. That's 1000 dollars/yr. just for public transportation. That's ridiculous.
Well technically the monthly payment is done before taxes are taken out, so I'm basically getting an extra $25 that I wouldn't otherwise if I paid it after it showed up in my paycheck. It net costs $65 a month or $775 a year. I think that's a great deal to have dozens of train and bus options at all hours and save thousands I would spend on a car. Just me though. I feel free without a car.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:24 PM

32,079 posts, read 32,980,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodybag View Post
I'm moving to a new city in 2013. Narrowing down my choices. A couple I'm thinking about are dominated by car culture, the others have excellent public transportation that most people use.

What are the pros and cons of both? Trying to decide which would fit me better personally. I don't have experience with either really because I live in a small town, don't drive, but pretty much walk or bike everywhere or get a car ride from friends if I really need to.

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodybag View Post
Just for extra info, I'm one of the many torn between Los Angeles and New York City. Considering others too, but those are my top choices.
Since you mention walking everywhere, then I would say go for NYC as NYers get to walk a lot and NYC has a subway system that runs 24/7. Owning a car is a hassle for someone who isn't used to it and as mentioned one can always rent one when necessary.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:16 PM

3,376 posts, read 4,824,372 times
After six years of living relatively comfortably car-free, I caved and financed a rather fuel-efficient, Diesel SUV since I'm currently living out in the middle of "almost" nowhere.
While the bike is still just fine as my primary vehicle, the minimal choice of rental car options in this town made this vehicle a necessary tool for when I need it(extreme weather, long road trip for some odd reason.)

So until I'm finally able to retool myself for another job transfer and move to an area with better car-free options and supplements, I'm treating this "ownership" experience as a credit-building exercise.

This being said, do everything you can to get yourself to a city with a high walkability and public transit rating.
It'll keep your dream alive.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:42 PM

11,884 posts, read 10,387,633 times
I live in the city (albeit a residential neighborhood) and own a car and think it is extremely useful even though I usually walk or bike to work 3 out of 4 seasons. A car is awesome for grocery shopping, inclement weather, road trips, shore trips, moving, bringing my dog places and I've always loved driving anyway. I still use public transit when going into Center City (although not all the time).

One thing I don't understand is how people can spend so much on cars though. I bought my 1998 Oldsmobile Cutlass 3 years ago for $3,000 and there has not been one major issue thus far (knock, knock). I pay the bare minimum for my car insurance because I figure I have already gotten more than my share of use out of this car.

Owning a car can be a constant headache yet there is something very comforting about it.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 01-03-2013 at 01:51 PM..

Old 01-04-2013, 09:04 AM

6,972 posts, read 12,487,957 times
Well I've lived a big chunk of my life being able to use transit and or walk. This year I retired and thought like many retired people to try living in Arizona. Well its not quite as warm as I thought it would be in the winter The transit part or should I say lack of is really a difficulty. I can't live like this. I'm retired not dead. I want to go out and not be completely dependent on my vehicle. Which is what life is like here in Phoenix suburbia. You cannot get away from it. Public transit is so limited and really its only area that is really served is its central core. It is a massive Metro area and the car is it for most people. Even if you could get a bus here the schedules are really limited.

So if transit is a criteria you. I would not consider the Phoenix should you ever consider it. I would also be extremely careful on choosing any sunbelt city over this lack of transit. From my experience in traveling in the sunbelt states. I would say and these can be limited also. This list at least has some options. Where if you had to, you could get a bus at least with a half way decent schedule. Dallas, Atlanta, San Diego, Los Angleles, San Francisco and even Las Vegas to an extent anyway. Phoenix, Tucson, a complete waste of time, completely auto centric.

So you want the best in transit. Then you have to stick to NYC, Chicago, Boston, Philly, DC, I'll throw San Francisco in also.

This country makes it very very difficult for the person that needs to do without a car. Since most of us cannot afford to live in those transit extensive cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.