Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better time zone
GMT -5 (Eastern) 99 38.37%
GMT -6 (Central) 84 32.56%
GMT -7 (Mountain) 24 9.30%
GMT -8 (Pacific) 48 18.60%
GMT -9 (Alaska) 2 0.78%
GMT -10 (Hawaii) 1 0.39%
Voters: 258. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 08:42 AM

1,804 posts, read 1,952,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flovis View Post
West is the best for sports.

You can watch the big game or the big fight and still have time to party.
Even among football games that start at 10 AM and baseball games as early as 9 AM if the team is playing a day game back east, you can actually have a nice brunch by enjoying every team. Of course, on events like New Year's, I could see the NYC Times Square ball drop in a similar matter than if I was out east and watching London ringing it in on BBC America/BBC World News. For domestic travel in the Americas, Central is the best, since you have no more than a two hour difference between Atlantic Canada/Brazil and the Pacific time zones, minimizing jet lag.

Now, in terms of the cities within them, the order would be:

-Eastern (Toronto/Montreal already ads to a great US list)
-Pacific
-Central
-Mountain
-Hawaii (at least you can catch the morning news feed out east if you stay up real late!)
-Alaska
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2020, 07:13 PM

3 posts, read 2,851 times
While I do live on Mountain Time, I’d argue Pacific Time as the best timezone.
I’m proud of where I live, Idaho, but outside Idaho, Colorado, and Arizona there’s not much in this timezone. Pacific has always been preferred for me. Central is too flat and Eastern is too populated

Old 05-17-2020, 07:53 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
Are we talking about intrinsic value of being in a time zone, or the merits of the actual cities/land that are in a time zone?

If strictly time zones, why is Eastern winning? Everything is on so late there in terms of TV. Central or Mountain seems like the best to me. Plus, less jet lag when going to either coast. The only thing nice about living on Eastern is that Europe is only a 6 hour difference. Which makes a big difference in terms of jet lag.

Old 05-17-2020, 09:29 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,552,972 times
All have advantages, but I voted central. Good for sports watching

Old 05-18-2020, 12:13 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,504,039 times
I used to find Central to be ideal but having moved into the Eastern time zone I seem to like it better.

I think the only thing I'd prefer Pacific for is sports, specifically only NFL football. I wouldn't find it good for any other sport actually.

Old 05-18-2020, 06:53 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times
The sports advantage of the Pacific Time Zone was not only for Monday Night Football but also MLB...I was able to watch all Yankee games to completion whereas that is not always the case now that I am back in Florida and cannot stay up for some Eastern night games, more Central night games and all Pacific night games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Clover View Post
I used to find Central to be ideal but having moved into the Eastern time zone I seem to like it better.

I think the only thing I'd prefer Pacific for is sports, specifically only NFL football. I wouldn't find it good for any other sport actually.

Last edited by elchevere; 05-18-2020 at 07:18 AM..

Old 05-18-2020, 10:20 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,504,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
The sports advantage of the Pacific Time Zone was not only for Monday Night Football but also MLB...I was able to watch all Yankee games to completion whereas that is not always the case now that I am back in Florida and cannot stay up for some Eastern night games, more Central night games and all Pacific night games.
For me the baseball games start way too early on PST. I like that they start right around 7/8 PM and if they don't finish by bed time because of a long game or extra innings I don't mind nearly as much. Most of the league being in either EST OR CST also helps that the games start when they do.

In PST I would hate missing the beginning of games, especially for things like MNF, NBA and MLB.

Old 05-18-2020, 11:57 AM

8,804 posts, read 10,242,030 times
Whichever timezone I choose to bless with my presence, that one is the best.

Bur for real, I like the Central because of the TV times.

Old 05-18-2020, 12:06 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,888,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Umm... why? I've lived in 3 time zones (Eastern, Mountain, & Pacific) and I say indifferent. How can the Central time zone be better?
Better for those of us, who think it is. Simple.

Old 05-18-2020, 12:49 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,552,972 times
I did say Central earlier, but PST can work too. You can be done with MNF and still have about 6 hours of additional bar drinking time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.