U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better time zone
GMT -5 (Eastern) 90 40.00%
GMT -6 (Central) 68 30.22%
GMT -7 (Mountain) 23 10.22%
GMT -8 (Pacific) 41 18.22%
GMT -9 (Alaska) 2 0.89%
GMT -10 (Hawaii) 1 0.44%
Voters: 225. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 07:35 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,904,043 times

Advertisements

This may be one of the most ridiculous"which is best" lists I've seen on CD. But because of the fact that almost every national broadcast and deadline is based off of Eastern time (probably because over half of the country's population lives in Eastern timezone)... I'm going to go with Eastern.

Something I've always wondered....do primetime shows run during the pacific timezone's primetime hours? I.E....3 hours after they air on the east coast? Do they re-broadcast live sports games at the more "ideal" times?

I could just see it being annoying if you happen to hear a "spoiler" from someone on the east coast about your favorite show and/or sports game if you have to wait until regular broadcasting times to see them out west.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 07:54 PM

5,991 posts, read 8,317,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Umm... why? I've lived in 3 time zones (Eastern, Mountain, & Pacific) and I say indifferent. How can the Central time zone be better?
How can the Eastern time zone be bettter?

I like Central because things don't start too late or too early. Late Nite talk shows or SNL start at 10:35, not 11:35. As a father of a young child I find it very hard to stay up much past 12:00 anymore, so SNL is usually missed by us. Same for football. Noon is a much easier time for me to watch a game than 1:00, and 10:00 on the West Coast is almost ridiculous if you are a church-goer. MNF or good basketball games sometimes don't end until well past Midnight, and I don't adjust, I just don't watch the whole thing or not at all. From a business perspective, the markets open up at 9:30 here in the East whereas in the Midwest it was 8:30 -- a much easier time to frame your workday around. The poor souls on the West Coast who are in say, investment banking, have to be out of the house by 4 a.m. if they are going to be ready for a marketplace that opens at 6:30! I've NEVER gone to work past 8 in the morning until I moved to the Eastern Time Zone, where people stroll in between 8 and 9 regularly. They give the true definition of "9 to 5", since many people actually start at 9. If somebody like myself, who often has to work 45 or 50 hours a week, starts their day at 9 they can forget seeing their kids before they get to bed at 8 o'clock or so.

I just find it to be much easier to work within a Midwest Time Zone, but then, I haven't seen a great argument for the others yet. But I'm all ears!

Old 01-01-2013, 08:05 PM

70 posts, read 141,835 times
Eastern is the best based on Cities. Scenery not sure maybe mountain. Safety is a toss up between all of them, they all have their ups and downs. Quality of life, maybe east.

East is the best because it feels like the world revolves around your time zone when you live there, but in any other time zone I would seem like I was lost, just my perspective.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:31 PM

168 posts, read 189,864 times
Eastern of course. It's closer to Europe and other time zones in other continents.
Also the time zone where big northeastern and major Canadian cities are located.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:42 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,296,195 times
Central.

Jet lag is minimal when traveling around the lower 48.

I would put it just ahead of Mountain time, as Central is only an hour behind Wall St

Old 01-01-2013, 11:34 PM

7,742 posts, read 6,144,011 times
The Eastern Time Zone is the best because if it the most Fortune 500 Companies,Better skyline, Better Public Transit, More apartments, A higher GDP, more walkability (even on water). Oh, and it some cities in it too.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:13 AM

5,991 posts, read 8,317,013 times
I was just focusing on time zones and their impact on the lower 48 states, not the other criteria the OP listed.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:56 AM

4,165 posts, read 4,618,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
This may be one of the most ridiculous"which is best" lists I've seen on CD. But because of the fact that almost every national broadcast and deadline is based off of Eastern time (probably because over half of the country's population lives in Eastern timezone)... I'm going to go with Eastern.

Something I've always wondered....do primetime shows run during the pacific timezone's primetime hours? I.E....3 hours after they air on the east coast? Do they re-broadcast live sports games at the more "ideal" times?

I could just see it being annoying if you happen to hear a "spoiler" from someone on the east coast about your favorite show and/or sports game if you have to wait until regular broadcasting times to see them out west.
I lived at one time in California. Live events are aired live in the Pacific time zone. That's why most of those events don't start until 8 or 9 Eastern time, so that it's 5 or 6 Pacific time. I lived in California when Monday Night Football still began at 9PM eastern and didn't end until well after midnight. Having moved from Indiana, having the game start at 6PM and end shortly after 9PM was one of the best things ever! That's why often at the end of the broadcast you'd hear "Stay tuned after the game for your local news, except on the west coast where you can see Deal or No Deal (or some random show to fill time)."

Otherwise, primetime shows in Pacific time are aired from 8-11PM just like on the east coast, except 3 hours later. When 30 Rock does a live episode, they actually do it twice, on at 8PM eastern and again at 11PM eastern (8PM Pacific)

Old 01-02-2013, 05:42 PM

434 posts, read 1,012,720 times
Just based on time, I'd prefer the Eastern Time Zone. That's where I grew up (Ohio) and compared to where I live now (Illinois)....I cannot stand the fact that the sun sets before 5pm in Winter! Ugh! Plus in the Eastern Time Zone (the western half, anyway), daylight until about 10pm in summer is fantastic!

Old 01-03-2013, 09:58 AM

6,541 posts, read 4,492,339 times
I'd actually pick Mountain time even though it has the fewest # of people.

Take the superbowl for instance: starts about 6:20 eastern which is only 4:20 Mountain and will end no later then 8:30 Mountain which still gives you the whole evening.
NFL games on Sunday start at 11 AM, but the SNF game ends around 10 PM.
World Series/Stanley Cup/NBA finals all begin around 6 which means you can still work pretty much a full 8 hour day and still get home and watch the game in its entirety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.