U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 05:30 AM

12,414 posts, read 11,910,584 times

Advertisements

It's not so much that men on the west coast are tall, as it is white guys in the Northeast are unusually short compared to the rest of the country. Take it from this 5'8" northeasterner.

You're gay IIRC. I didn't realize height was a big issue for gay men like it is for straight men. I've never heard my short gay male friends complain. Then again, they tended to be bottoms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 07:04 AM

11,810 posts, read 18,790,027 times
If you're threatened by tall men, move to Miami. It's a very short city.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:23 AM

1,112 posts, read 1,869,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foo cities View Post
The tallest guys are in San Diego, Portland, Denver, Sacramento and Seattle. The shortest: NY, Philly, Miami, LA(west LA with the exceptions of rock stars, bouncers from Riverside, valley and out of states, models and athletes) and Boston.
No, men in Seattle and Portland are not tall. Maybe in the suburbs, but in the cities most of the white guys are still short. Denver, yes. Don't know about Sac and SD.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:27 AM

1,112 posts, read 1,869,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
It's not so much that men on the west coast are tall, as it is white guys in the Northeast are unusually short compared to the rest of the country. Take it from this 5'8" northeasterner.
Very true. Once you start heading west, the ethnic whites start to get more Germanic and hence you'll see more tall people. But still, the majority of men anywhere are under 6'2". I'm surprised the OP feels so short in San Diego, because there are a ton of short Mexicans down there. I thought the tallest on average folks are going to be whites in the Upper Midwest and Mountain States and black people in the Southeast. But then you have to consider that a lot of these folks move to California in hopes of taking on certain endeavors, so yeah I'm sure CA does have tall people all over in addition to it's sea of short people. Still don't think San Diego is a majority tall man city. The OP probably just happened to be in places where tall men happened to be, and he happened to notice it. That's like me going to a bar or a beach and saying, "OMG the women in this city all have such big boobs!" Do they really? Or is that just the spot where busty women hang out? :P

Old 05-19-2015, 08:32 AM

11,171 posts, read 22,363,867 times
Stay away from the Upper Midwest then, it tends to run the tallest since it has the highest % of typically tall ethnicities like Scandinavians, Germans and the Dutch.

My family are mostly Swedes. I'm 6' and am the shortest male in my entire family. They're all between 6'2" and then topping out with my dad at 6'5".

Old 05-19-2015, 08:56 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,193,115 times
Coming from Minnesota...no one on the West Coast seems tall.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:00 AM

620 posts, read 963,571 times
Who notices stuff like this?

Old 05-19-2015, 02:40 PM

12,414 posts, read 11,910,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
Very true. Once you start heading west, the ethnic whites start to get more Germanic and hence you'll see more tall people. But still, the majority of men anywhere are under 6'2". I'm surprised the OP feels so short in San Diego, because there are a ton of short Mexicans down there. I thought the tallest on average folks are going to be whites in the Upper Midwest and Mountain States and black people in the Southeast. But then you have to consider that a lot of these folks move to California in hopes of taking on certain endeavors, so yeah I'm sure CA does have tall people all over in addition to it's sea of short people. Still don't think San Diego is a majority tall man city. The OP probably just happened to be in places where tall men happened to be, and he happened to notice it. That's like me going to a bar or a beach and saying, "OMG the women in this city all have such big boobs!" Do they really? Or is that just the spot where busty women hang out? :P
Black men have a reputation as being tall, but every study I've seen has concluded that that they are on average a bit shorter than white men. According to Wikipedia the average black man is around a half inch shorter than the average white man, with basically the same gap between black and white women. Still, the gap is so small it's barely notable overall - compared to Latinos and Asians, who are notably shorter than either one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or