U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 10:07 PM

11,515 posts, read 16,066,291 times

Advertisements

Okay, so I am a short Italian guy from the Northeast, with a height of just 5'6. Over the past five days, I was in San Diego checking out the area to see if I want to live there. I absolutely loved San Diego. However, as time progressed, I noticed something that became very apparent to me. 99% of the white men there are VERY tall compared to the average man on the east coast. Why is this the case? I felt very different everywhere I went and over those five days, I went out shopping, dining, driving around, meeting people, etc., and didn't even see ONE other white guy who was as short as me. I felt so different from then on. It's kinda sad, because I loved SD, but I really started to feel awkward being one of the very few short guys in town. I also went out to a club one night and again, I was probably the shortest guy in the club. Why would I want to live somewhere if I feel so different like that?

Why are men on the west coast in general so tall? I'm guessing it's because they are mainly of German ancestry, whereas the Northeast has many Italians. Nothing against tall people, but really....I felt strange and certainly wasn't used to seeing no other short men in the area.

Also, I noticed that California people in general are kinda weird compared to Northeasterners. They're like VERY chilled out or something...almost like they're out of it and not paying attention to their surroundings. I cant describe it.

With that said, I love California
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 10:50 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,520,916 times
The west coast is a literal sausage fest. So you have a very large sample of men from Seattle all the way to SD.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:04 PM

21,697 posts, read 26,036,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Okay, so I am a short Italian guy from the Northeast, with a height of just 5'6. Over the past five days, I was in San Diego checking out the area to see if I want to live there. I absolutely loved San Diego. However, as time progressed, I noticed something that became very apparent to me. 99% of the white men there are VERY tall compared to the average man on the east coast. Why is this the case? I felt very different everywhere I went and over those five days, I went out shopping, dining, driving around, meeting people, etc., and didn't even see ONE other white guy who was as short as me. I felt so different from then on. It's kinda sad, because I loved SD, but I really started to feel awkward being one of the very few short guys in town. I also went out to a club one night and again, I was probably the shortest guy in the club. Why would I want to live somewhere if I feel so different like that?

Why are men on the west coast in general so tall? I'm guessing it's because they are mainly of German ancestry, whereas the Northeast has many Italians. Nothing against tall people, but really....I felt strange and certainly wasn't used to seeing no other short men in the area.

Also, I noticed that California people in general are kinda weird compared to Northeasterners. They're like VERY chilled out or something...almost like they're out of it and not paying attention to their surroundings. I cant describe it.

You wouldn't. Good thing you didn't relocate without first checking it out. Some places are just not for some people. But really, do you think it's fair to call people weird just because they are not like you? You realize that in your environment they may feel the same about the people where you live.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:17 PM

443 posts, read 796,458 times
Quote:

When describing how people acted, keep in mind that California is a very, diverse big State. People in San Diego are very, very different from people in the San Francisco Bay Area, for example.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:34 AM

345 posts, read 945,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
The west coast is a literal sausage fest. So you have a very large sample of men from Seattle all the way to SD.
This lol. I've been saying this in the San Jose section and have heard the same about all the big west coast cities. But I'm convinced Silicon Valley is the sausage HQ.

OP might just be seeing more men thus obviously seeing more whom are tall. And the title is a strong generalization because I notice the exact opposite here in the Bay Area. Guys seem fairly short up here of all races. But people of all heights everywhere, no reason to feel excluded/different as there's nothing wrong with you.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:24 AM

11,515 posts, read 16,066,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Millennium View Post
This lol. I've been saying this in the San Jose section and have heard the same about all the big west coast cities. But I'm convinced Silicon Valley is the sausage HQ.

OP might just be seeing more men thus obviously seeing more whom are tall. And the title is a strong generalization because I notice the exact opposite here in the Bay Area. Guys seem fairly short up here of all races. But people of all heights everywhere, no reason to feel excluded/different as there's nothing wrong with you.
Well, I was talking about the San Diego area. All of the men I saw out in public were significantly taller than myself. I know that they don't care or whatever, but for me, coming from the east coast, I felt rather uncomfortable and couldn't get myself to settle down there. Weird, I know, but I don't think I could get used to that.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:37 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,752,927 times
I feel ya Nep, I'm roughly 5'6, maybe a bit taller. In NYC I never felt that short, but in Charlotte I'm like the smallest guy I know...

Old 01-02-2013, 03:26 PM

345 posts, read 945,843 times
Quote:
Well, I was talking about the San Diego area. All of the men I saw out in public were significantly taller than myself. I know that they don't care or whatever, but for me, coming from the east coast, I felt rather uncomfortable and couldn't get myself to settle down there. Weird, I know, but I don't think I could get used to that.
I don't know what it feels like to be shorter, but a sad reason to exclude a place. My point was it doesn't feel like that on the entire West coast and if this is still bothering you then maybe consider other cities out here.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:05 PM

9,745 posts, read 15,474,547 times
I've noticed similar here in Western Washington. I'm 5'9" and when I lived in TN it seemed I was pretty average in height, and I rarely saw women taller than me. But here I see a LOT of men who are not only taller than me, but considerably taller. And I see a lot more women who are near my height or even taller.

Also, as far as I know my ancestry is mostly Irish and possibly Scandinavian.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:21 PM

3,733 posts, read 7,168,059 times
Sasquatch interbreeding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.