U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 02:58 AM

2,759 posts, read 4,357,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
What words . I don't hear it.
Do you not hear the way she says "route?" That's some serious southernness right there! That's not the only example of course, but it's pretty obvious. She overall has a mild accent, but it's more noticeable in certain words. Not everyone in the South sounds like they're auditioning for a guest role on Hee-Haw, anyways. Lots of folks just naturally have mild accents, which isn't anything new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 03:00 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,648,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
Perhaps my ears are more discerning than yours. In fact, I'd argue that the first young lady is attempting to tone her accent down. That said, I'm not going to listen to them speak again to give you specific examples.
Could be but it also could be that I have listen to lot of accents in US even southern accents so got use to that .If you some one from north east part of US I can understand those videos may sound strange to you has the north east part of the US speak really fast with no drawl.It may be the drawl and slower talking in those videos that sound strange to you .

Old 08-21-2015, 10:09 PM

2,321 posts, read 2,090,333 times
This topic struck me the other day while watching Jimmy Carter give his own press conference about his cancer diagnosis and treatment. Here's a man who is more "international" than most; he's spoken to people the world over for 40 years but has always maintained that Plains, Georgia, accent. It has never changed.

I think in his case, it's less of a choice (this man has too many other important things on his mind)! than a deep connection to his home. What do you make of his accent?

(I'm sure everyone knows how he speaks, but this is just for reference, especially around 4:00, when he talks about his home, family):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0EO3KQTPcU

Old 09-25-2015, 03:18 PM

1 posts, read 549 times
Question I've wondered this too

I've been wondering this myself. I have a coworker from Vietnam who has lived here for almost 40 yrs, but she doesn't sound like that to me. The way she speak and says English words sounds like she's only been speaking English for a month. Why? Well I found this article below for a great answer:

[url=http://www.wired.com/2014/09/whats-up-with-losing-accents/]What's Up With That: Why It's So Hard to Lose an Accent | WIRED[/url]

Happy reading
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or