U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-01-2013, 05:05 PM
 
811 posts, read 825,001 times
Reputation: 461

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
California is nothing like it was 40 years ago when I was a little kid. Nothing. The massive demographic change that has happened here is going to happen to the rest of the country in the space of another generation or so. You probably know that - the last two census results already show a big change in almost every state in the country. Basically, you're going to have to learn to roll with the punches. The US is changing and along with it, the South. If its not out-of-state folks its foreign immigrants. It gets tedious to see people constantly moan about new people in their towns/cities/states and trying to find somewhere that's stuck in a time warp so they won't have to deal with it.
Do you honestly think that it is NATURAL to have the rate of third world illegals that the U.S. has, if it weren't for the fact that most in the government look the other way. Do you honestly believe this builds a strong country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-01-2013, 06:21 PM
 
17 posts, read 21,917 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound of Reason View Post
Do you honestly think that it is NATURAL to have the rate of third world illegals that the U.S. has,
Most Mexicans are 100% native to this continent. How is that not natural?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2013, 08:05 PM
 
Location: Pine Ridge, Florida
74 posts, read 117,355 times
Reputation: 107
The OP, Truesouthernwoman, really has problems here. First of all, she is definitely living in the past, or more accurately, a romanticized past. The South lost the Civil War 150 years ago. There is really no such thing as the South any more than the Midwest or the West, which never tried to secede. Truesouthernwoman should realize she is an American first, not a Southerner-American or any other hyphenated American. I am tired of people who call themselves by a name with a hyphen before American, and I care less about their race or background. We are all American, mo matter where we were born or lived before. This is the United States. Americans have a right to live wherever they want, and they move to wherever they feel present the best opportunities for themselves and their families. People migrations have always marked U.S. history.

Another thing is there really is no such thing as Southern culture, or there SHOULD be no such thing as Southern culture, because that culture is based on Anglo-Saxon Protestant supremacy. The Japanese changed their culture after World War II; it's long overdue that Southerners should shed their outdated perception of a "Southern Culture".

Truesouthernwoman would be better off in a small metropolitan area in a state like Arkansas or Alabama. My sister lives in Dothan, Alabama, which is such a small metro area. Maybe because she is a Catholic "Yankee", she hates living there. She finds the people backwards and intolerant. She's been told she's not a "real" Christian there, and yes, she's been called a "Yankee" by the locals. Dothan, Alabama may be the place for Truesouthernwoman.

There are other parts of the country where Truesouthernwoman can move to where she could feel at home, like Oklahoma or Kansas, or even parts of Idaho. Idaho seems to attract white supremacists; it can seem like a Western annex of the Confederate States there. But stay out of the southeast part of Idaho; it is part of the Mormon Belt, and Southern Baptists consider the Mormon Church to be a cult.

We are all Americans, so stop this regional divisiveness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2013, 08:52 PM
 
1,189 posts, read 1,811,819 times
Reputation: 972
Honestly i've been to south carolina and it probably has the lowest ratio of northerners in out of almost all the south states with the exception of mississipi. If you cant find southerness in south carolina then you obviously want to live 100 years in the past or live in rural south carolina. Greenville is one of the most southern cities you can get in the south. The only other opition is go to Jackson, Mississippi. Its southern, its anti-yankee and its filled with people who have confederate flags on their cars and houses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2013, 08:55 PM
 
1,189 posts, read 1,811,819 times
Reputation: 972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound of Reason View Post
Do you honestly think that it is NATURAL to have the rate of third world illegals that the U.S. has, if it weren't for the fact that most in the government look the other way. Do you honestly believe this builds a strong country?
So you are saying illigals is what is changing america? Not legal immigration? Legal immigration is far more common then illigal immigration. No matter how much you want to call your nearest mexican a illigal or the nearest person who doesnt resemble a white person remember that you are ruining america as much as they can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2013, 10:24 PM
 
29,949 posts, read 27,432,479 times
Reputation: 18540
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenDM View Post
The OP, Truesouthernwoman, really has problems here. First of all, she is definitely living in the past, or more accurately, a romanticized past. The South lost the Civil War 150 years ago. There is really no such thing as the South any more than the Midwest or the West, which never tried to secede. Truesouthernwoman should realize she is an American first, not a Southerner-American or any other hyphenated American. I am tired of people who call themselves by a name with a hyphen before American, and I care less about their race or background. We are all American, mo matter where we were born or lived before. This is the United States. Americans have a right to live wherever they want, and they move to wherever they feel present the best opportunities for themselves and their families. People migrations have always marked U.S. history.

Another thing is there really is no such thing as Southern culture, or there SHOULD be no such thing as Southern culture, because that culture is based on Anglo-Saxon Protestant supremacy. The Japanese changed their culture after World War II; it's long overdue that Southerners should shed their outdated perception of a "Southern Culture".
Strongly disagree on highlighted statements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
Honestly i've been to south carolina and it probably has the lowest ratio of northerners in out of almost all the south states with the exception of mississipi.
And Alabama, Arkansas, and Louisiana. It's probably tied with Tennessee in this respect. You know SC is one of the fastest-growing states right now and one significant reason for that is due to Northern retirees, right? They are taking over coastal SC in particular at a pretty rapid pace, as well as moving into the other urban areas of the state (Columbia, Greenville, suburban Charlotte).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2013, 12:14 AM
 
Location: Somewhere below Mason/Dixon
6,523 posts, read 7,475,821 times
Reputation: 10928
Some parts of North and South Carolina are so overrun with northeast states yankees that you would think your in Conneticut or New Jooissee. Anywhere near the coast is slowly having its southern culture destroyed, and northeasterners do not adapt to thier new enviroment at all. They steam roll the local culture and re-do New Jersey right there in middle of Dixie. I completly understand why folks in both Carolinas resent what has happened to them. The end result in North and South Carolina is going to be what happened to south Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2013, 12:57 AM
 
Location: Oroville, California
3,228 posts, read 4,725,184 times
Reputation: 5653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound of Reason View Post
Do you honestly think that it is NATURAL to have the rate of third world illegals that the U.S. has, if it weren't for the fact that most in the government look the other way. Do you honestly believe this builds a strong country?
Its not what I believe or think that's natural that's at issue here. Greatly increased immigration (legal and otherwise) has been a fact since the late 1960s. Its profoundly and permanently changed the face of the country and continues on at a rate of 1 million each year just for legal immigrants (so those changes will just get more pronounced as time goes by). Migration from one region of the country to another is also a fact. You can't turn back the clock and the die is already cast as far as ramifications go. Basically, you can run but you can't hide. Northerners to The South, Californians to the rest of the Western states plus Texas and immigrants to every corner of the country are a fact of life. You can either adapt, head for the hills or call your congressman and complain (if that makes you feel better 'cause its not going to change things).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2013, 07:38 AM
 
811 posts, read 825,001 times
Reputation: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr333 View Post
Most Mexicans are 100% native to this continent. How is that not natural?
They're not American citizens, duh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2013, 07:41 AM
 
811 posts, read 825,001 times
Reputation: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
So you are saying illigals is what is changing america? Not legal immigration? Legal immigration is far more common then illigal immigration. No matter how much you want to call your nearest mexican a illigal or the nearest person who doesnt resemble a white person remember that you are ruining america as much as they can.
Sure, legal immigration is a huge issue, too.

You have no idea what you're talking about with regard to myself, so you can stop with the anti-white language that you're using in your sophomoric attempt to twist my words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top