U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 05:44 PM

105 posts, read 428,006 times

Advertisements

Alabama, Arkansas outside Little Rock, Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee outside Nashville, and maybe Kentucky could be what you are looking for.

I think Mississippi is the state that remains unchanged compared to others. Yes, transplants are attracted to college towns but most do not stay after graduation. This is true for Oxford, Mississippi. It's a charming small college town with excellent schools and hospitals for everyone.

Hattiesburg is a great option so is Southaven (south of Memphis, TN) and Brandon (east of the capital city, Jackson). I never really care much for Starkville which is another college town, home of MS State University.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 05:47 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,301 posts, read 12,231,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Perhaps a place like Oxford Mississippi would work. Starkville and Hattiesburg could be options there as well.
As a Northerner who occasionally looks at the low rents of the South with some envy, I can assure the OP that Mississippi is the last place I'd consider moving to. Highest rates of poverty, crime, and obesity. Lowest amount of culture. And I suppose you'd need more airconditioning than just about anywhere.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:24 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,438,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
The "North" is a big place. Please don't lump us all together.

I live in the midwest, and my small town probably has a slower pace than where you are, the crime is probably MUCH lower, and the traffic... well there is hardly any traffic. The people are really nice, too.

Basically... you are implying that crime, traffic, and high taxes are "Northern" things. Well, no. Those are "city" things. Those people aren't ruining your town because they are from the North. They are ruining it because they come from giant cities that happen to be (most likely) in the Northeast.

Believe it or not, you could find a lot of the things you are looking for in the big, bad North. Not the grits and the southern accents, of course. But a lot of the other stuff.
Exactly! In fact, when I was reading the OP, all I could think of was that she could come to our little ole' redneck town here in Michigan and she would probably see more Baptists, gun racks, camouflage, and rebel flags than she sees in Greenville. It's safe too, one of those places where you can leave your garage door open all night and the most mischief you will attract is a neighbor's cat or a curious raccoon.

I wish all Southerners who lump all of us in the North together would take a tour of the North sometime. The people in our town (many of whom are either southern transplants themselves or the kids and grandkids of southern transplants) probably have a whole more in common with her and other true Southerners than with the type of Northerners who offend her by moving in and trying to change the fabric of the South to fit their preferences. Most of the people that I know would heartily embrace her southern culture, not try to obliterate it! It's values and beliefs that truly unite people, not geography.

To sum it up: the Midwest ain't NYC , NJ, or New England...thank God!

Old 01-05-2013, 07:36 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,812,840 times
South carolina has few northerners. If you want to see overrun go to Florida, Texas or Georgia. If you want a state that has few if any northerners go to mississippi. Even if there were jobs there, no one would dare venture there

Old 01-05-2013, 08:13 PM

43,480 posts, read 42,009,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
I don't get what you're talking about. What I was trying to get at was that any secluded, rural, far out destination that is never really talked about or heard of is going to have the least northerners.
This is a MUCH less insulting version of what you actually said the first time.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:37 PM

779 posts, read 1,413,970 times
Why don't you move to a small town in the South? You usually don't get transplants in small towns.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:52 PM

5,015 posts, read 4,725,551 times
I live in a suburb of Nashville with tons of transplants and many of them adapt to Southern ways. A couple of examples:
Philadelphia friend mentioned how hard she has worked to no longer honk as soon as the light turns green.
Michigan friend mentioned learning to be less blunt and to not go ever out in sweats, even to the grocery store. (She thinks people dress up more here, an observation my California cousin also mentioned years ago.)

We spent a couple of weeks in the Northeast last summer and had a fabulous time, but I was also happy to come home to a little slower place, a little more space, a glass of fruit tea and chickens salad.

The world is general is becoming smaller and cultures more intergrated, but I still think there is a distinct Southerness to most places in the South, including Nashville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
As a Northerner who occasionally looks at the low rents of the South with some envy, I can assure the OP that Mississippi is the last place I'd consider moving to. Highest rates of poverty, crime, and obesity. Lowest amount of culture. And I suppose you'd need more airconditioning than just about anywhere.
I know Mississippi is an easy target, but Oxford is a fabulous town. Great restaurants, good schools, gorgeous college campus. It's been named one of the top 6 college towns in America and made the Best Places to Live lists. William Faulkner & Joh Grisham live/lived there.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:40 PM

811 posts, read 825,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
The "North" is a big place. Please don't lump us all together.

I live in the midwest, and my small town probably has a slower pace than where you are, the crime is probably MUCH lower, and the traffic... well there is hardly any traffic. The people are really nice, too.

Basically... you are implying that crime, traffic, and high taxes are "Northern" things. Well, no. Those are "city" things. Those people aren't ruining your town because they are from the North. They are ruining it because they come from giant cities that happen to be (most likely) in the Northeast.

Believe it or not, you could find a lot of the things you are looking for in the big, bad North. Not the grits and the southern accents, of course. But a lot of the other stuff.
However, southerners are not overrunning the north like northerners have done so in the south. The industrial migration to the north in the 40s-60s pales in comparison to the number of northerners who have moved south since the 80s. Southern culture is being wiped out throughout much of the south due to the sheer number of transplants, but also because due to the homogenization of the mass media.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:42 PM

811 posts, read 825,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
I live in a suburb of Nashville with tons of transplants and many of them adapt to Southern ways. A couple of examples:
Philadelphia friend mentioned how hard she has worked to no longer honk as soon as the light turns green.
Michigan friend mentioned learning to be less blunt and to not go ever out in sweats, even to the grocery store. (She thinks people dress up more here, an observation my California cousin also mentioned years ago.)

We spent a couple of weeks in the Northeast last summer and had a fabulous time, but I was also happy to come home to a little slower place, a little more space, a glass of fruit tea and chickens salad.

The world is general is becoming smaller and cultures more intergrated, but I still think there is a distinct Southerness to most places in the South, including Nashville.

I know Mississippi is an easy target, but Oxford is a fabulous town. Great restaurants, good schools, gorgeous college campus. It's been named one of the top 6 college towns in America and made the Best Places to Live lists. William Faulkner & Joh Grisham live/lived there.
Adapt?

Northerners who move to the south rarely lose their northern accent. Now why is that? Their kids don't have any type of a definable southern accent. Their grand kids will likely not have one either, and if they do, it'll be extremely light.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:13 PM

6,526 posts, read 7,481,467 times
I am a transplant from the midwest to the south. I love the south and its culture. I dont want it changed nor do I intend to try and change it. I chose to live here because I like it the way it is. I resent those who want to change it as much as those who are native to this area. This is not a rejection of where I moved from, but I would not have moved here if I didnt like the south the way it is. I like the culture, values and politics, and I am more in line with my new state than I was my old in that regard. I know over in the Carolinas alot of northeasterners have overrun those states and they do demand change from thier adopted states. I know they also retain that whiney northeast accent and culture too. I do get why the folks on the other side of the mountains get tired of that nonesense. The area im in has a moderate amount of transplants, but most of them are from the midwest. I think midwesterners adjust to and adapt to southern living alot better than northeasterners do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or