Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 06:49 AM

1 posts, read 3,683 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I know this may be totally fruitless, but I am SO sick of Greenville SC and the lack of others here that are like myself. I was born and raised in the South by parents born and raised in the south, whose ancestors actually helped found upstate SC. So yes, I have a Southern accent (I am not going to change that) but I am educated (working on my master's in nursing) a hard worker, and just want to TRY desperately to find a southern town or city that is not so overwhelmingly northern now. I just can't stand it. Every where I go, there is not one person that talks like I do or remembers what places used to look like. Where I work, where I go to church (yes I am a Christian, baptist), where I shop, even the library! (I went to get a new library card, in Greenville, SC no less and the lady said "there arent many of you left down here are there?" I wanted to throw up.)

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate anybody, but it seems illogical to me that northerners want to get away from where they were living and what they were living with and then they turn where they move to into exactly what they left! Crime is up down here, traffic is bumper to bumper, especially in morning and evening commutes (a 15 mile drive takes 35 minutes) and taxes have skyrocketed and there is no where to get away from it, unless you have enough money to buy up a subdivision before it gets built (58 acres) and just fence it off like my husband's ex boss did when his company was bought from him for millions of dollars. And trust me we don't have that kind of money. I really am upset at the loss of the Southern culture and want to find somewhere my husband and I can move where this is not happening, but still be a Southern state.

Any help would be great! Sorry if I sound like I hate Northerners, I don't, but I do hate what they have done to the area that I grew up in. It has lost the very charm and appeal that probably brought them here in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 07:07 AM

613 posts, read 1,054,482 times
I just moved to Dallas from Boston. Its kinda funny we leave up north because its so expensive and move to where its cheap then want all the things we had up there which drives taxes up. Everybody wants stuff but dont want to pay for it. Its the new America. Dont try and run we'll find you lol

Old 01-05-2013, 07:14 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Universities and corporate relocations bring transplants.

I would look for a town that has neither of those.

Of course, some will say that kind of growth is good, but it does bring change.

I hope this thread can stay civil because I have heard many express the same thoughts. It IS hard to see a place you grew up in change drastically, and I think it's an interesting topic for discussion, if people can try to keep personal attacks out of it.

I will throw in a story that I think illustrates this. One county south of here, GM opened the Saturn car factory two decades ago. A friend of mine who was born in this county (south of Nashville) in the 1920s said one day he was sitting at a traffic light on a 2 lane highway when the car behind him honked hard. My friend, who had been looking over into the nearby pasture, looked up and noticed that the light was now green so he accelerated.

The car behind him zoomed around him and went on by. My friend noticed Michigan plates And a UAW sticker on the rear window. He told me, "I know that guy thought I was some slow country bumpkin, but all I was doing was noticing that one of MR. Campbell's horses was missing."

The thing I think is funny here, where we have had a TON of transplants, is when people buy a house in a subdivision 40 miles from the city and say, "We love our new country lifestyle. I just wish we had a Target close by!"

Old 01-05-2013, 07:25 AM

144 posts, read 186,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truesouthernwoman View Post
Hi,

I know this may be totally fruitless, but I am SO sick of Greenville SC and the lack of others here that are like myself. I was born and raised in the South by parents born and raised in the south, whose ancestors actually helped found upstate SC. So yes, I have a Southern accent (I am not going to change that) but I am educated (working on my master's in nursing) a hard worker, and just want to TRY desperately to find a southern town or city that is not so overwhelmingly northern now. I just can't stand it. Every where I go, there is not one person that talks like I do or remembers what places used to look like. Where I work, where I go to church (yes I am a Christian, baptist), where I shop, even the library! (I went to get a new library card, in Greenville, SC no less and the lady said "there arent many of you left down here are there?" I wanted to throw up.)

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate anybody, but it seems illogical to me that northerners want to get away from where they were living and what they were living with and then they turn where they move to into exactly what they left! Crime is up down here, traffic is bumper to bumper, especially in morning and evening commutes (a 15 mile drive takes 35 minutes) and taxes have skyrocketed and there is no where to get away from it, unless you have enough money to buy up a subdivision before it gets built (58 acres) and just fence it off like my husband's ex boss did when his company was bought from him for millions of dollars. And trust me we don't have that kind of money. I really am upset at the loss of the Southern culture and want to find somewhere my husband and I can move where this is not happening, but still be a Southern state.

Any help would be great! Sorry if I sound like I hate Northerners, I don't, but I do hate what they have done to the area that I grew up in. It has lost the very charm and appeal that probably brought them here in the first place.
Bonjour
Mi like it here man! Can we get some service around here? GOD I MISS NEW YAWk! Ain't liiiike it uuuuusse to beeee buuuuuud Adios

Old 01-05-2013, 07:47 AM

1,432 posts, read 3,842,137 times
I would look at Western TN as it has experienced little growth and is therefore the most unchanged. You may also find pockets in middle and east TN that have not seen a lot of transplants but avoid Nashville and its suburbs for sure.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:34 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,347,702 times
Knoxville, Tn. I am a northern transplant. To me Knoxville retains its southerness. I've also lived in NC and to me, NC wasn't real southern at all like East Tn. is.
I wish you all the best in your search,
Pam

Old 01-05-2013, 11:24 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
I think a lot of the smaller TN towns would fit, but then you have the problem of finding a job.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:21 PM

93,188 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Many move South for the real or perceived lower COL, jobs or they are retired. So, it may not be about not liking where they came from, but may feel that it isn't feasible for them at that time

Old 01-05-2013, 01:50 PM

867 posts, read 1,396,764 times
I tell you what you do...move to another part of SC...Im sure youll find more "Southerness" than even YOU can probably handle. Northerners might move down there , but there is NO WAY theyll really change that place.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:53 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,856,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truesouthernwoman View Post
Hi,

Can you be more hyperbolic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.