Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 11:41 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post
Having viewed this thread on a few different occasions now, I must pose this question:

When will people stop living in 1861?

When all the issues from 1861 have all been resolved. People in the northeast STILL think they are superior to the rest of the nation, as many threads in citydata prove. The federal goverment STILL steps on the rights of the states. This is way off topic but couldnt help but respond to this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 05:11 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
look for a town without jobs

Old 01-30-2013, 10:31 AM

1,644 posts, read 2,172,933 times
Go to Roanoke, VA...it's very much a southern appalachian mountain town. Most of the northeastern transplants are in NOVA...they don't really migrate down to Roanoke. It's a fairly large area...I think the city has around 100k people with around 250k in the MSA. It has great access to the rest of the state, tons of outdoor activities, and great food.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:38 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,810,783 times
Mississippi, my home state.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:24 PM

1,672 posts, read 2,879,061 times
Alabama

Old 01-30-2013, 12:30 PM

1,672 posts, read 2,879,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post
Having viewed this thread on a few different occasions now, I must pose this question:

When will people stop living in 1861?
Good question, and sadly I dont have a clear answer.

I will say though most of us do live in the 21st century, but I guess there are those who feel that the civil war will never end, and southern culture as the way they see it is something to fight for.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:59 PM

607 posts, read 1,373,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
When all the issues from 1861 have all been resolved. People in the northeast STILL think they are superior to the rest of the nation, as many threads in citydata prove. The federal goverment STILL steps on the rights of the states. This is way off topic but couldnt help but respond to this one.
This isn't true. Having lived in NYC and now living in the liberal central portion of MD (where we all consider ourselves Northern), we don't consider ourselves superior to every other place in the country. We have our faults. We do generally have better education, but there are many exceptions, and other regions of the US have their other strengths (the West Coast has made great contributions regarding technology, for instance). We have a right to be proud of our achievements, but don't please mistake this for snobbishness or arrogance.

@OP: Generally anywhere that's rural will float your boat, and some suburbs and fewer cities will work as well. Just research it and find out what works best for you.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:32 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,259,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truesouthernwoman View Post
Hi,

I know this may be totally fruitless, but I am SO sick of Greenville SC and the lack of others here that are like myself. I was born and raised in the South by parents born and raised in the south, whose ancestors actually helped found upstate SC. So yes, I have a Southern accent (I am not going to change that) but I am educated (working on my master's in nursing) a hard worker, and just want to TRY desperately to find a southern town or city that is not so overwhelmingly northern now. I just can't stand it. Every where I go, there is not one person that talks like I do or remembers what places used to look like. Where I work, where I go to church (yes I am a Christian, baptist), where I shop, even the library! (I went to get a new library card, in Greenville, SC no less and the lady said "there arent many of you left down here are there?" I wanted to throw up.)

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate anybody, but it seems illogical to me that northerners want to get away from where they were living and what they were living with and then they turn where they move to into exactly what they left! Crime is up down here, traffic is bumper to bumper, especially in morning and evening commutes (a 15 mile drive takes 35 minutes) and taxes have skyrocketed and there is no where to get away from it, unless you have enough money to buy up a subdivision before it gets built (58 acres) and just fence it off like my husband's ex boss did when his company was bought from him for millions of dollars. And trust me we don't have that kind of money. I really am upset at the loss of the Southern culture and want to find somewhere my husband and I can move where this is not happening, but still be a Southern state.

Any help would be great! Sorry if I sound like I hate Northerners, I don't, but I do hate what they have done to the area that I grew up in. It has lost the very charm and appeal that probably brought them here in the first place.
First of all the crime was high in your state long before the northerners arrived. Southern states have always had higher crime, so don't blame us on that one. Look it up.

People are moving where the jobs are. It sounds like you would be best off in an economically depressed area. No northerners are moving to such areas. Most areas all over the country are changing. It's called progress.

Finally no one cares if you are educated, or if you go to church or not. No one is stopping you. How is that relevant?

"No offense, really."

Old 01-30-2013, 11:52 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Most areas all over the country are changing. It's called progress.
Hmm. Not sure I'd call what happened to south Florida "progress".

Old 02-01-2013, 01:09 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,511,864 times
California is nothing like it was 40 years ago when I was a little kid. Nothing. The massive demographic change that has happened here is going to happen to the rest of the country in the space of another generation or so. You probably know that - the last two census results already show a big change in almost every state in the country. Basically, you're going to have to learn to roll with the punches. The US is changing and along with it, the South. If its not out-of-state folks its foreign immigrants. It gets tedious to see people constantly moan about new people in their towns/cities/states and trying to find somewhere that's stuck in a time warp so they won't have to deal with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.