Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 04:13 PM

2 posts, read 2,519 times

Advertisements

I am starting a new job that will be based out of a home office and require me to travel to all areas of the country. I can live anywhere and my pay doesn't change based on cost of living. I'll be making good money, but I currently live in the SF Bay Area where good money doesn't go very far and travel to the east coast could become tedious. I would like to go somewhere my income would stretch further and where I would be more centrally located to travel to both coasts. I have a family with 2 young children, so low crime and family activities are important. I don't want to live in a desert climate and would prefer not to have harsh winters, but could handle extreme cold easier than extreme heat. Where are the fun and affordable places to live for families?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 05:54 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,783,832 times
The Denver area would be pretty central, and not too expensive either. There's plenty of outdoorsy and indoorsy things to do, and although they get snow - I think of the winters as pretty mild. It snows a bunch, looks like a postcard and melts in a few days. However, I grew up in a place where they were extremely harsh, so my definition of mild and yours may differ.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:18 PM

2 posts, read 2,519 times
I was thinking of maybe Denver, but I worried that with having to travel frequently that he weather could be a problem--do you feel that the flights are often delayed there? Another thought I had was Memphis--I've never been, but seemed like a good hub location, decent weather, and lots of good food and music.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:40 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,831,744 times
Atlanta. The airport is international and MARTA goes right into it. Costs are extremely low here and plane tickets to Florida are like $100.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:07 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Perhaps Nashville, Oklahoma City, Tulsa, St. Louis, Kansas City and a couple if you don't mind the cold, are Minneapolis and Chicago.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:15 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Why would you live in a big city if you don't have to.

Go to a little town in Nebraska, where your kids are sure of making the football team, and you can walk to the athletic field to see them play, and their teachers know you by name when they see you at the grocery store. Buy a nice old two story house built by proud craftsmen on a shaded lot for less than $50K. Buy your milk and eggs and corn and apples from a local farmer.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:26 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan75 View Post
I was thinking of maybe Denver, but I worried that with having to travel frequently that he weather could be a problem--do you feel that the flights are often delayed there? Another thought I had was Memphis--I've never been, but seemed like a good hub location, decent weather, and lots of good food and music.
Memphis has a lot of crime. What do you and your family members like to do?

Old 01-09-2013, 05:39 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Atlanta. The airport is international and MARTA goes right into it. Costs are extremely low here and plane tickets to Florida are like $100.
I agree. It's more geographically central than one would think, it has a fairly low cost of living with some very nice areas to live in (check out the Decatur, North Decatur, Roswell, Sandy Spring area) and there are probably more non-stop flights to more destinations than any other city in the country.

Old 01-09-2013, 05:46 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,831,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I agree. It's more geographically central than one would think, it has a fairly low cost of living with some very nice areas to live in (check out the Decatur, North Decatur, Roswell, Sandy Spring area) and there are probably more non-stop flights to more destinations than any other city in the country.
Yup. The airport is pretty decent too. Another nice area to live in is Buckhead. I live in Midtown but I am looking to move to Buckhead sooner than later. I love being able to go to FL in like an hour for $100. It's like a dream come true to a NYer.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:40 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,192,034 times
My city!
My city!
My city!
My city!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.