U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 03:25 PM

781 posts, read 1,094,681 times

Advertisements

No its not overcrowded especially when you consider that the eastcoast is from Maine all the way down to Florida. "Not just the BosWash corridor"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 04:19 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,568,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
It will be too crowded when 200-story highrise residential buildings line every block from DC to Boston. Even then, I'd love to live there.
We will have Judge Dredd to protect us.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:51 PM

606 posts, read 952,866 times
Even cities like Boston are not what I would call overcrowded. Even Boston has room still for development, some on land that won't be built on for a while but some construction actively going on. Lots of new apartments have been built or rendered out of older buildings in the Seaport and in West Roxbury, and some of the Southie projects are getting makeovers that could increase their density. Boston is pretty crowded and could probably use more housing, to help make prices more affordable, but in a city as geographically small as Boston, you don't necessarily need to be in the city limits to be living in the city. Some cities like Cambridge and Somerville are basically developed as much as they can be (without tearing anything down), and don't feel like "too much" either. You don't even have to go far to this far, but I'll use Western Mass as an example. Extremely rural in some places, especially west of the Connecticut River Valley.

Even in a state as small and dense as Rhode Island, since the population and density of that state is so skewed to the Eastern side (particularly NE), the western half of the state is rural in most parts, and it feels like your miles and miles and miles from Providence.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:19 AM

26 posts, read 56,508 times
The area along Interstate 95 from NYC to Washington DC is basically one large city. Fly the route during the night and look outside the plane window and you see an almost unbroken sea of lights.

But get north of NYC or south of Richmond and you will see lots of open space so you can't say the whole East Coast is over crowded.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:22 AM

4,245 posts, read 5,985,620 times
From what I saw the place is ...odd...to this Midwesterner.

This is based on experience with New England mostly.

The shocker is that this area is fairly hilly and wooded with very little extensive farmland. But it is ALSO fairly well populated. A lot of smaller cities (fairly dense ones w. minimal vacancy), towns, and larger places like Hartford, Boston, Providence. It seems these places are sort of developed together, with gaps of woods & hills between them.

So yes, Id say the place is actually fairly congested (my experience with the traffic), but the visuals is "cities & towns set in a forest".

Old 01-11-2013, 09:24 AM

5,953 posts, read 7,322,990 times
There's a lot of open land in New England away from the coast, Upstate New York, Central and Western Pennsylvania, Western and the Eastern Shore of Maryland, West Virginia, and a lot of Central and Western Virginia.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:47 PM

884 posts, read 1,523,768 times
Well, I think where I live in Colorado is getting way too crowded... so I would probably think the same for the East Coast.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:28 AM

56,081 posts, read 54,565,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikari616 View Post
Okay, I will. Thank you, for the suggestion. It kinda was what I was looking for, I just wanted to know if there was still room in the Northeast for people. Because I've never been over there, and I want too but don't know if there is enough apartments/homes for people. With so many people wanting to live or do live there.
Well...right now where I am in NJ, there IS a shortage of apartments and homes for people! But, of course, that's because of the recent storm/Sandy. All of the hotels in my country are filled with people who need temporary housing to the point where they keep having to shift around the FEMA people who have come in from different parts of the country.

But, for the most part, there are places to live. You have choices as to crowded urban areas or rural areas, and the burbs in between. Remember, NJ is sort of a microcosm of everywhere else--ocean, mountains, farms, cities, burbs, all packed into a little state. No deserts though.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:11 AM

1,263 posts, read 1,273,264 times
The rest of the country is not crowded enough.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:31 PM

108 posts, read 247,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantin23 View Post
The rest of the country is not crowded enough.
Thats what I was trying to point out, why so many people want to live in the most expensive parts of the country when places like North Dakota that is way more affordable need more people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or