U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 11:42 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,856,228 times

Advertisements

Does thinking about your city bring you strong emotions, do you long for your city when you're away from it, do you find yourself comparing other cities to your own, and find that none can give you what your city can? If so you might be in love with your city, I know I am. I fell in love with my city, Cleveland, several years ago, even though I grew up in the Cleveland suburbs, when I discovered all the ethnic and historical wonders that lied in the city itself, and the wonderful warmth of the city's people. I have been wanting to be here for good ever since. I'm sure there are others here who are like me. What's your story, do you love your city and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 05:12 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,545,781 times
What an interesting question. I suppose I am in love with my city, New York. I'm taking a few days off work around this weekend, and I'm planning on walking around, taking in the atmosphere, staring at the buildings (New Yorkers consider looking up to be something tourists do, but I do it all the time and I've lived in the area nearly all my life), visiting multiple museums. Fourteen years after I moved to the city, I somehow still haven't lost the thrill of just being there.

Last week I was on 32nd Street, the main drag of New York's tiny Koreatown. I walked past the neon-lit karaoke lounges, dumpling shops and suspicious electronics stores, fighting my way through the teeming masses of Koreans and Americans and people from who knows where, thinking about how this is probably as authentically East Asian a street scene as you're going to get anywhere in the hemisphere. It was invigorating, and it was one of those moments when I love New York the most. I have them all the time.

My wife does not like New York, never has, and as such, we're leaving in the not-too-distant future. I didn't really understand until now why that's so difficult for me -- because I'm in love with the city.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:58 AM

6,620 posts, read 11,688,311 times
My home city, yes. But where I am now, not at all.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:37 AM

8,345 posts, read 14,119,342 times
I (touch myself in a shameful and self pleasuring manner) to pictures of the Indianapolis skyline everyday.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:18 AM

7,946 posts, read 15,060,954 times
No. I live where I live because I have a great job and its close to family. If it wasn't for those factors, I would move somewhere else as fast as I could.

I do miss Charlotte and I guess you could say I was in love with it when I lived there.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:25 AM

1,458 posts, read 3,669,693 times
i live in nyc.

it has it's pro's and con's.

If the cost of living was not so crazy then this place would be a utopia: literally.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:36 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,356,272 times
Yes. Victoria, South Texas.. My city would not necessarily be the best for everyone, but for me and my lifestyle, it is. I chose my city 5 years ago because I thought it would be ideal for my retirement, and I have nothing to regret. I would never dream of going somewhere else just because I thought it was a greener pasture.

I actually enjoy riding the excellent bus service through town, but I rarely need to because groceries and library are within walking distance. Cost of living is very low, specifically rent and groceries and gas. It's a multicultural community with the grace of the South, where crime is not an issue. I love the climate, although it gets a little cold in winter, but never snows. There are two baseball teams that play in multi-state leagues through 6 months of the year. If I had to move away, I'd miss the noisy great-tailed grackles, and the sound of the frequent trains. It's more than two hours to any bigger city, so we're not part of any urban empire, and only a half hour from gulf beaches. There's even a historical legacy, being the second oldest town in Texas and the epicenter of the earliest settlement.

Last edited by jtur88; 01-08-2013 at 07:48 AM..

Old 01-08-2013, 08:08 AM

892 posts, read 1,082,969 times
I'm definitely in love with my city, hence my forum name.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:59 AM

11,888 posts, read 10,406,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
I'm definitely in love with my city, hence my forum name.
Haha, nice! I made sure to get the 215 area code and my neighborhood initials in my screename but have more of an extreme love/hate relationship with my city. At the end of the day though, no city can replace her.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:46 AM

6,420 posts, read 10,878,477 times
A marriage would be the best way to describe it.

I tell everyone I love her, but at times, dammit, she gets on my nerves.

But through all of the frustrations and problems, it's the little things, the quirky things...the unique things that I love about her. Over time, I couldn't imagine loving anybody else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.