U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 11:09 AM

340 posts, read 487,862 times

Advertisements

Sorry, but I would have to disagree with the previous poster about El Paso. Maybe it has been a long time since he/she has been here. And someone who is here as part of the military community will have a very different experience as someone who is not. Also, the more suburban-type areas of the city are more typically American. Obviously, the closer you are to any of the ports of entry, the more Mexicanized it will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier77 View Post
Places like El Paso, Laredo, San Diego etc, just on the border with Mexico. I read
on wikipedia the population of Laredo is 95 per cent Latin.

So I wonder how that affects the inner workings of those places.

For example, is everybody bilingual?

Most permanent residents are, but not all.

Is Spanish taught at schools?

Umm... Maybe in high school? (Don't most U.S. High Schools teach Spanish?) I didn't go to school in El Paso.

Would an Anglo have trouble getting a job if h/she doesnt speak Spanish?

Yes, it would make it much more difficult, especially if they wanted any sort of job dealing with costumers.

People living in those places feel isollated from the rest of the USA?

If you are not part of the military community here, then I would say maybe a little bit yes. The mentality here is definitely somewhat different from the rest of the country.

Everybody wears a cowboy hat? (at least most on them do on yotutube videos)

No, nobody does.

Does the Mexican drug cartels have any power there?

Yes, very much so. But most people don't realize that. It is not an obvious thing, and there is no cartel violence this side of the river.

Does the Anglos living there adopt Mexican traditions? (quinceañera, piñata, etc)

The ones who actually stay here long term, and aren't just here because they are stationed at Fort Bliss? Maybe. If they marry into the culture, then yes.

People there cross the border for shopping and partying?

Absolutely! Mostly people cross from Juarez to El Paso for partying and shopping and just about everything else. Because of the crime and violence in Juarez, people from El Paso mostly only go over there to visit their friends and relatives.

How similar or different are towns in each side of the border?
There are some parts of El Paso that feel very much as though you have already crossed the river, but overall the two cities are very, very different. Although there are always a lot of Juarenses here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 11:12 AM

340 posts, read 487,862 times
Oh, sorry!! I didn't know how to do that correctly! (And just to be clear, my answers only apply to El Paso.)

Old 01-09-2013, 11:37 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,316,376 times
Victoria, where I live, is more than 50% Hispanic, but my answers also reflect the Rio Grande Valley (Brownsville/Harlingen/McAllen):

---Absolutely not. Very few Anglos can speak Spanish, and Hispanics are enthusiastically preferring Enlgish

---In some schools, it is not even permitted in the halls. To Anglo students, the same as any other foreign language would be taught in schools in any state.

---Very few jobs would have that as a requirement, but it would often be an asset. Even Anglo cashiers can't speak Spanish, they'll call over a bilingual colleague to help a customer who can't speak English, or ask another customer to help.

---Not at all.

Everybody wears a cowboy hat? (at least most on them do on youtube videos)
---Only the old-timers.

---No, none whatsoever.

Does the Anglos living there adopt Mexican traditions? (quinceañera, piñata, etc)
---No.

---Very few Anglos ever cross the border going south, for any reason.

---No similarity at all. US towns look like Oshkosh, and Mexican towns look like Bolivia.

Last edited by jtur88; 01-09-2013 at 11:49 AM..

Old 01-10-2013, 06:53 PM

606 posts, read 953,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier77 View Post
Places like El Paso, Laredo, San Diego etc, just on the border with Mexico. I read on wikipedia the population of Laredo is 95 per cent Latin.

So I wonder how that affects the inner workings of those places.

Everybody wears a cowboy hat? (at least most on them do on youtube videos)

I don't know if you were suggesting they would teach Spanish in school because of the population being largely of Mexican descent, but I'm from Massachusetts and they teach mandatory Spanish in elementary schools here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or